Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Long tube header HP comparison

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2005, 02:34 AM
tradetheoex
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Long tube header HP comparison

I decided on the stainless works long tube headers and cats with connection pipes. The pipes after the headers don't connect to each other so I now have true dual exhaust. This is the way the kit comes. Not my ideal set up but the dyno info I posted from Stainless works in the previous post looked promising so I went with it. To my suprise, I LOST 12 FT-LBS of torque with the header swap! We dyno'ed it a few times to try to get the numbers up with fuel and timing but didn't have much luck. I ultimately left the tune the way it came from Brenspeed when I bought the C & L cold air kit and SCT tuner. I did pick up 11 Max Horsepower on the top end but the car makes alot less power under 4500 RPM. The numbers cross over @ 4500 RPM and then the HP picks up around 8-10 HP for the rest of the RPM range. I think part of the problem is that I went with the 1 & 3/4" primary tube headers per the recomendation of Stainless Works and the dyno numbers from them. If you compare my bone stock numbers before a tune, with the long tubes with a tune, I do see how they can gain 30 HP. But if you isolate the header install by itself you'll lose power under 4500 RPM. I may buy the 1 & 5/8 Primary tube headers and sell the 1 & 3/4 nes on Ebay. Anyone interested?

Has anyone installed the 1 & 5/8 Headers and then dyno'ed the results. I'd love to see the results.
Old 12-31-2005, 11:02 AM
RPM

I would bet you will pick up a lot going to smaller primaries. The 1-3/4" primary is better suited for an application with a LOT more HP than what these 24v motors produce in stock form. A 1-1/2" primary test would be very interesting. May even work better in terms of average HP which is really the most importantfactor in a street application.

I was running 1-3/4" primaries on a 475HP Pontiac and that engine was just marginal with that header size. 1-5/8" would have worked as good.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:33 PM
BIGGRED35

ORIGINAL: tradetheoex

I decided on the stainless works long tube headers and cats with connection pipes. The pipes after the headers don't connect to each other so I now have true dual exhaust. This is the way the kit comes. Not my ideal set up but the dyno info I posted from Stainless works in the previous post looked promising so I went with it. To my suprise, I LOST 12 FT-LBS of torque with the header swap! We dyno'ed it a few times to try to get the numbers up with fuel and timing but didn't have much luck. I ultimately left the tune the way it came from Brenspeed when I bought the C & L cold air kit and SCT tuner. I did pick up 11 Max Horsepower on the top end but the car makes alot less power under 4500 RPM. The numbers cross over @ 4500 RPM and then the HP picks up around 8-10 HP for the rest of the RPM range. I think part of the problem is that I went with the 1 & 3/4" primary tube headers per the recomendation of Stainless Works and the dyno numbers from them. If you compare my bone stock numbers before a tune, with the long tubes with a tune, I do see how they can gain 30 HP. But if you isolate the header install by itself you'll lose power under 4500 RPM. I may buy the 1 & 5/8 Primary tube headers and sell the 1 & 3/4 nes on Ebay. Anyone interested?

Has anyone installed the 1 & 5/8 Headers and then dyno'ed the results. I'd love to see the results.
Kinda sad. Most people on the mustang forums are dyno tuning up top but losing on the bottom of the RPM scale. Are we really that interested in making a dyno queen out of a really bitchen street car?

"The average american spend 83.7% of their weekly drive below 3K RPM". (Qutoed from C&D) Why tune for anything other than
>4500 RPM?
Old 01-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Thump_rrr

ORIGINAL: BIGGRED35
Kinda sad. Most people on the mustang forums are dyno tuning up top but losing on the bottom of the RPM scale. Are we really that interested in making a dyno queen out of a really bitchen street car?

"The average american spend 83.7% of their weekly drive below 3K RPM". (Qutoed from C&D) Why tune for anything other than
>4500 RPM?
The average american doesn't drive a Mustang GT and the average Mustang GT driver doesn't search the Mustang forums. We're more like the less than 1%.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:44 PM
BuffPony

I have stainless works 1 5/8" primaries w/ xpipe and their 3" exhaust.....Nice gains..

my review:

https://mustangforums.com/m_902595/tm.htm