Notices
GT S197 General Discussion This section is for technical discussions pertaining specifically to the V8 variation of the 2005 and newer Ford Mustang.

Just take delivery on your 05-14 GT? Brag here!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 03:49 AM
sjnma1290

Just bought an 07 GT with only 12,000 miles on it while being in afghanistan, now i REALLY cant wait to get home
Old 09-18-2012, 12:43 AM
tezz

Just bought a sweet 6 speed '13 GT in light silver. I bought the base model but added leather seats and bluetooth. It's been a long time since I've had such a fun and fast car. Honestly, I liked the '05-10 body style better, but the new 5.0 engine sucked me in.
I DON'T like the shifter - it will be the first thing I change. I'm leaning towards either the Steeda or Shelby unit.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 AM
tezz

Forgot to attach the pic!
Old 09-27-2012, 04:22 PM
Seattlelion

Just bought a 2013 premium (candy red) with nav, backup cam, etc. I only have a couple of hundred miles on it, but love it. I traded a 2010 Nissan 370 Z touring sport. I haven't gotten the mustang on the track yet and I am still trying to decide how well it turns.
Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM
rocket237
2nd Gear Member

traded a Z, huh? ...........I dunno, The z has a better handling reputation doesn't it?
Old 09-28-2012, 08:33 AM
rmhockman

also traded my 370Z for a 2013 GT convertible, mine was a "09" touring model with a 6 speed and navigation. Truthfully the Z seemed to be the better handler but the Mustang is no slouch and more civilized to drive. It does not require so much of the drivers attention and did the "Z", I would never have considered taking my "Z" on a long distance interstate trip but the Mustang is different and just easier to drive.

The 6 speed in my Mustang is slicker than the "Z", the engine is smoother and pulls just as strongly but at much lower rpm's and with a marvelous exhaust sound. For those considering the navigation system, I was really surprised to find it to be the best I have ever seen as it is really easy to use and with a huge screen to boot!

I considered the "Z" convertible but there just was not enough storage room, the rear visibility was restricted and it cost was much more than the Mustang. The 5.0 Coyote alone is worth the price of admission.

Just my two cents worth....
Old 09-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Rolling13
2nd Gear Member

I did get my VIN# and printed out a sticker, everything looks good. Next week.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:29 AM
Seattlelion

Originally Posted by rmhockman
also traded my 370Z for a 2013 GT convertible, mine was a "09" touring model with a 6 speed and navigation. Truthfully the Z seemed to be the better handler but the Mustang is no slouch and more civilized to drive. It does not require so much of the drivers attention and did the "Z", I would never have considered taking my "Z" on a long distance interstate trip but the Mustang is different and just easier to drive.

The 6 speed in my Mustang is slicker than the "Z", the engine is smoother and pulls just as strongly but at much lower rpm's and with a marvelous exhaust sound. For those considering the navigation system, I was really surprised to find it to be the best I have ever seen as it is really easy to use and with a huge screen to boot!

I considered the "Z" convertible but there just was not enough storage room, the rear visibility was restricted and it cost was much more than the Mustang. The 5.0 Coyote alone is worth the price of admission.

Just my two cents worth....
The Z certainly gave me more confidence I could take a turn at speed, but I can not say that the Mustang can't match it. I made the switch due to the noise and very low seating position (getting harder to get in and out...age I guess). I don't think the Z is harder to drive, it just demands more attention. I consider that a good thing.

I have to agree that the Mustang has great power and is, in fact, faster on the straights than the Z. In fact, Road & Track did a comparo between the Z and Mustang. The Mustang was faster in the straights, and the Z a bit faster around the turns. They tied on the road course. That's why I made the choice to get the Ford. I get increased comfort and acceleration and lose a bit of the feedback from the road. I have taken the Z on longer trips and by the end of the day I am really tired. On the track, the Z puts a big smile on my face.

The Sync/satnav in the GT is amazing. I was letting my fuel get as low as possible so I could fill up with no-ethanol 92 octane. When I got to "40 Miles Remaining" the satnav started displaying gas station icons. That's cool!

So far the only negatives for my new car are initial quality: missing interior trim piece on the passenger door, and poor stopping power. The Mustang is less than 500 lbs heavier than the Z and on a wet road has much less stopping power than the Z. I suspect the problem is the Pirelli tires. Tire Rack's comparison of AS ultra high performance tires put the Pirelli 0 AS as the poorest in terms of wet road handling. My Z ran on Bridgestone Potenza's in the summer and Michelin Pilot Sport AS in the winter. Both tires are truly amazing on both wet and dry roads.

I am concerned about the high ground clearance of the Ford as well as the fact that there are no bottom plates or chin spoiler. Both can spell trouble at high speed on a track. That isn't really a problem to me. My tracking days may be over anyway. The insurance risk and heavy traffic on the track make the experience less fun. Since the is my dd as well as my toy, I decided to pick something that would be fun to drive and not stress me on the way to work.

I have the AT (same in the Z). Though the Z's manual mode and paddle shifters were good performers on the road and the track. The 7-speed AT bought me some extra mpg's. This is the first American car I have owned in over 40 years.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Seattlelion

Originally Posted by rocket237
traded a Z, huh? ...........I dunno, The z has a better handling reputation doesn't it?
Road & Track rated the Z and Mustang about equal for handling. The Z won by a small margin (.99 g's for the Z, .95 g's, I think for the Mustang). More road feel for the Z, which can be both good and bad.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM
yardstick

2 - 2013 GTs premium. One a california special/auto/silver. The other sterling silver (metalic grey) 6 speed manual. Love both cars.

Quick Reply: Just take delivery on your 05-14 GT? Brag here!