Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

04 Mach 1 or 04 cobra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 04:13 PM
purpleraptor

Default 04 Mach 1 or 04 cobra?

im trying to decide between a mustang cobra or a Mach 1 but i cant seem to make up my mind. im very interested in modifying and was wondering which would be a better deal if i was looking a making modiications to either one. also what is the max hp you can modify on both engines blocks stock?
Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

Default RE: 04 Mach 1 or 04 cobra?

If you're looking for the best bang of the buck / responds better to mods / most potential...then get the cobra. The mach 1s were designed to fill the gap in perforance between GTs and Cobras and give LS1s a hard time from the factory...not be 500+ hp monsters with bolt ons. Most people that own mach 1s do moderate amounts of mods, but are satisfied (or stuck lol) with around 290-320 rwhp. If you get a blower you can push stock mach 1 engines to around 450rwhp before you start really walking on thin Ice. The reason many people choose machs over cobras is not for the performance..but for the extrememly unique and classical styling they posses. If I were you,....i'd get the mach 1- they are just really enjoyable and special cars, for a reasonable price tag.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:54 PM
St4ng07
4th Gear Member

They also dont have the irs which is horrible (stock) for the drag strip unlike the cobra's. If you want alot of performance with good looks go cobra, if you decent performance with unique/ old school look go with the Mach I
Old 05-22-2007, 05:59 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

Is this even a question? Cobra hands down. Bang for the buck, the cobra will take it EVERY time. Not to mention you dont have to do a lot to make it really fast. That and I like the look of the Cobra better personally.
If you want a cruiser and want good power but not crazy amounts go with the Mach, if youre more performance minded go with the Cobra. Personally, I like the IRS, its better for day to day driving. I dont go to the drag strip much anymore, I like to bang corners, so IRS is a + in my book.
-P.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:18 PM
beastzilla02
5th Gear Member

cobra..
Old 05-22-2007, 07:22 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

I don't want to sound like a turncoat here on my Mach brethren, but Machwon was spot on, IMO. Cobras possess some MAJOR bolt-on potential. Machs do, too, but we're talking maybe notapples to oranges, but oranges to grapefruits. Personally, I think the styling of the Mach is pretty darn timeless, but all New Edge Mustangs look pretty similar (and good)for that matter. Hell, I had a 2000 V6 with 18" Cobra replicas and 335's on the back and routinely got revved by f-bodies and other Stangers!!

Cobras rock, but you'll pay a little for it, too. I got my Mach for $14,000 cash about 2 months ago, and I know that's relatively cheap,and it came with a catback and 4.10's, too. But if I put about $2,000-$2,500 with it from here with full bolt-ons (RAI, UDPs, O/R exhaust, PHP spacer, TB and spacer) and a 125 shot of the spray, which I am going to do, I'll be firmly planted in the 11's for less than 16-17 thou. That's pretty good bang for the buck, and I think it's the exception. Cobras represent a VERY good value, I think, and if you're willing to pony up (pun intended) a little more jack on the front side, then your source material is undeniably better. I've seen a few Terminators on the 'net for just on the north side of $20K. Machs go for close to $3-5K less than that on average, mileage and condition always playing a factor. Very quickly you can turn a Cobra into a reliable low 11, high 10-second beast. Machs very quickly get to low 12's/high to mid 11's for a little less. Both look hot, but the shaker does it for me, and high 11's will be good enough for old pounder (I think). [8D]

If you got the wallet for it, go with the Terminator. If you want a little more flash and timeless styling, go with the Mach.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:30 PM
purpleraptor

yeh thanks guys. its hard cuz the mach's look incredible, but i have found it hard to deny the fact that you cant see what the outside of your car looks like when your inside doing 0-60 in 4 seconds. im all for the speed which makes it hard to say no to the Cobra. however, money does not grow on trees, and the Mach's do hold their own i think i read 0-60 in 4.7sec. plus i cant get over their classic look. decisions decisions decisions.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:43 PM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: purpleraptor
mach's look incredible
im all for the speed
money does not grow on trees
Mach's do hold their own plus i cant get over their classic look.
you got it rough, raptor.
Speed --> Cobra
Looks --> Mach
Capital outlay --> Mach
Value/bang for the buck --> Cobra

Good luck. FWIW, get the Mach. They're sexier and dripping with tradition. I get TONS of comments on mine all the time. There's just something about them...
Old 05-22-2007, 11:59 PM
radaman
3rd Gear Member

im trying to decide between a mustang cobra or a Mach 1 but i cant seem to make up my mind. im very interested in modifying and was wondering which would be a better deal if i was looking a making modiications to either one. also what is the max hp you can modify on both engines blocks stock?
I like my mach, but wouldnt think twice about giving it up for a 03-04 cobra. The Mach looks killer with the shaker and all, but a cobra looks just as nice plus it has a well built long block that can handle 800rwhp with ease.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:47 AM
groundpounder
Sith Lord/Site Mod

ORIGINAL: radaman
I like my mach, but wouldnt think twice about giving it up for a 03-04 cobra. The Mach looks killer with the shaker and all, but a cobra looks just as nice plus it has a well built long block that can handle 800rwhp with ease.
That is as good a post as I've seen in this thread. Excellent point and very true. It's boils down to how fast you want to go (high 11's are going to be good enough for me) and how much you are looking to spend ($14K out front and a coupla grand to get to my goal is ridiculously cheap, IMO).

Doesn't it always come down to that - how fast you want to go and how much you want to spend?

Quick Reply: 04 Mach 1 or 04 cobra?