Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Battery in rear...Good cheap mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:39 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Default Battery in rear...Good cheap mod?

Thinking about mods has brought me (some of you guys too) to an inconvenient truth...I'm poor! Moving the battery seems like a hell of an affordable change we could do by putting more weight over the rear (especially my street tires), but I haven't done it before, or known anyone with a street stang who's done it. Thought I'd ask you guys about it. Is it worth the time? If so, where in trunk is best? Would it hurt daily drivability? Thanks in advance.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:17 PM
dw32005
2nd Gear Member

I wouldn't think that it would hurt at all, i would say anytime you can take the weight off the front your probably doin yourself a little bit of a favor. I know that they sale kits out there for that stuff and that google probably has a slew of instructions on how to do it yourself. As far as where to put i've heard a couple people say move it to the right side of the trunk, assuming that somehow it helps make the weight more equal due to the driver being on the left side i guess.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:23 AM
jmac72187
corner carver

I have considered this. I think it would help me out a decent amount with auto x. The weight distribution will be much better. Not sure If I have the confidence to do it myself though.

I may just buy one of those lightweight batteries when mine goes.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

I have done this mod on a 1969 mustang and it wasn't too bad...that being said I have considered doing it to my mach and have decided against it. It is good for weight transfer, and distribution but can be a PITA with these cars, as well as a bunch of additional safety features to be able to run at any NHRA drag strip (kill switch, etc), not to mention we lose even more of our already limited trunk space. For the all out race car its def worth it...for a street car im not so sure.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Machwon covered it perfectly
Old 10-13-2008, 01:57 PM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jmac72187
I have considered this. I think it would help me out a decent amount with auto x. The weight distribution will be much better. Not sure If I have the confidence to do it myself though.

I may just buy one of those lightweight batteries when mine goes.
jmac, do u live in florida? just asking cuz i went to an autocross not to long ago.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:16 PM
jmac72187
corner carver

Originally Posted by grif62
jmac, do u live in florida? just asking cuz i went to an autocross not to long ago.
Nope. Massachusetts.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:30 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

thx for the feedback. Ain't done it myself, but if I, or someone at a shop, can do it in a safe manner it'll help weight transfer and thus a little better launches. I couldn't care less about trunk space. Kill switch...the tech guys at my local drag strip (IHRA sanctioned) don't check a thing on stock looking late models...probably the case at most tracks. I'll let you guys know if it was worth it whenever I get it done. Rock on.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:03 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

I've though about doing it. Its a good mod for transfering some weight. Just need a battery box and some longer cables as far as I know. Every little bit helps if you're a diehard modder, but like Machwon stated, it may or may not be worth it to everyone.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:09 PM
sstang
5th Gear Member

I have done this on my past two new edge mustangs. It seems to be a cheap way to help with weight distribution, and traction off the line. Taking 20lbs off the front, plus moving it to the rear axle where it will help, that a 40lb weight distribution your car will see. I have an optima in my trunk and it works fine. A kill switch costs like 7 bucks at a parts store, but unless you are competing in a big race, a tech guy wont inspect it at the track on a regular street car night. I got all the parts from Advance Auto to do this myself for under $50.

Quick Reply: Battery in rear...Good cheap mod?