Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Are 03/04 Machs quickest N/A mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 03:13 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Well those cars are not production models, they might have built 1 or 2 as concept. I gotta say that new edge v10 is bad to the bone.
Old 10-22-2008, 03:25 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

yep, i'd buy it
Old 10-22-2008, 09:25 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

yup, I should've clarified. A whole can of worms can be opened with my question. I meant cars that aren't very limited production all-out race models. The Cobra R is a race car, a very limited one at that, and a car that costs......alot. And I really don't think going back in time would change much. I've seen the real 1/4 times of nostalgic high-powered musclecars in a couple different reputable sources and the performance numbers are sluggish for the cubes and ponies they had.
Old 10-23-2008, 01:32 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

so late model production models are what you are looking at then.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:07 AM
Baddog
4th Gear Member

I understand the question OP. Based on your criteria I would say the late model Mach would be considered the quickest in stock trim based on the prehistoric drivelines, suspensions, tires etc. of cars such as say, a BOSS 429. Knowing little of mod motors I still don't understand why the 320HP N/A Cobra is slower than the 308HP Cobra. Did the HP rating protocol differ that much in 2 years? Back to the original question though, the Mach is as far as I know the quickest N/A production stang...
Old 10-23-2008, 07:11 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Rygi...my son, there is a lot to learn still

***boss 302
Boss 302s also ran in Nascar's Grand American (GA) series.

The car came with a wide-ratio or close-ratio 4-speed top loader. A 3.50:1 rear gear was standard with 3.91 and 4.30 optional. Front discs are rear drum brakes and 15-inch wheels were standard. Road tests at the time put 1/4-mile performance in the upper 14-second range. However, Super Stock magazine tweaked a '70 Boss 302 and put slicks on to get a time in the mid-13s.

***Boss 351***
The Boss 351 engine used the Cleveland block with the heads from the Boss 302. It came with a 4-speed and a 3.91:1 rear axle and still with rear drum brakes. The engine was available in the newly redesigned '71 Mustang that weighed over 3800 lbs., about 300 more than a Boss 302. Road tests at the time returned 1/4 mile ET's in the low 14s.

***and the big daddy boss 429***
The Boss 429 was built in response to Chrysler's 426 Hemi and it's success in Nascar. Ford built a 427 Hemi-headed single overhead cam motor first, but it wasn't considered stock enough for the series so along came the "semi-Hemi" head 429. The task of wedging a 429 into the Mustang was given to Kar Kraft. Quarter-mile times were reported to be in the lower 14s. Although another of the hot rod magazines, Car Craft, slightly modified the stock 429 and got a 1/4 mile in the mid 12s. The street cars came from the factory with a conservative cam and a somewhat small carburetor.
They put like a 650cfm carb stock i believe....a 429 from a lincoln continental with a cam, better intake and carb will run mid 12's all day long...and those head are "****"

Last edited by USMCrebel; 10-23-2008 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:19 PM
grif62
2nd Gear Member

+1 USMCrebel, Boss mustangs back then did there job. Especially the Boss 302 during 1970 trans am. However the Boss 429 just needed a little tweak on that massive engine and will be one car not to mess lol. For the Boss 351, they have some reports on road tests that they got that car, at the quickest time, high to mid 13s. That was really good to me. But wasnt the 428 cj or scj mach 1 the quickest stock mustang at 1/4 miles back then? correct me if im wrong USMCrebel
Old 10-23-2008, 08:57 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Rebel...."Son"? I'm your elder if I'm not mistaken!!! I'm familiar with the facts on motors, vehicle weight, etc. on these older cars. Those times sound like the #s I remember looking over. Our Mach's 100% stock factory performance is better by a full second in the 1/4, and if we keep things apples-to-apples with the tweaking and slicks our #'s are still better. If a track buddy of mine can run a 12.69 with nothing more than an o/r h-pipe and Nitto drag radials, a little "tweaking" and a set of full race slicks would drop that time to low/mid 12s.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:52 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Rebel...."Son"? I'm your elder if I'm not mistaken!!! I'm familiar with the facts on motors, vehicle weight, etc. on these older cars. Those times sound like the #s I remember looking over. Our Mach's 100% stock factory performance is better by a full second in the 1/4, and if we keep things apples-to-apples with the tweaking and slicks our #'s are still better. If a track buddy of mine can run a 12.69 with nothing more than an o/r h-pipe and Nitto drag radials, a little "tweaking" and a set of full race slicks would drop that time to low/mid 12s.
yes but if you wanna sit there and throw in mods that 429 will make a **** ton more power than our little 281's for.

we are talkin about stock trim here guys, a complete production model. we can sit here and play the "if you did this to this" game all year long. technology improves over the years and you are given better times as it goes on. N/A i would say the 03-04 mach may just be the fastest. given the fact now days were are pushing just as much if not more power through smaller emissions controlled engines i would give the mach the win, though i am not sure what the 99-01 cobra's ran.

Last edited by I G Joe; 10-24-2008 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:14 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

Originally Posted by rygi23
LOL...ok grandpa, keep in mind the tire they were stuck using too, their slicks were on par with ****ty nitto's....think if you put a pair of slicks on a car that weighs less and produces more torque and HP than our cars.

am i gonna have to buy one of these things to prove it?

the 428 still was ~.5 slower than the boss 302. average times of ~13.9

Quick Reply: Are 03/04 Machs quickest N/A mustang?