Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

L/T installation

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 08:19 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Default L/T installation

Just wondering, in another forum someone mentioned that in order to install longtubes the k-member needs to be removed. He mentioned that most places may charge about $500 or more for installations, if you add another $500+ for a good set of headers, thats over $1k for headers alone and to me they wouldn't be worth it. Any mach owners with L/Ts got any good input on this? Is this true? How difficult was your installation?
Old 11-07-2008, 09:57 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

it's a fairly complex install, it will frustrate you, and will bleed lol...but if you can do it yourself LT's are amazing
Old 11-08-2008, 08:26 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
it's a fairly complex install, it will frustrate you, and will bleed lol...but if you can do it yourself LT's are amazing

The thing is that I don't have the tools necessary to do the install, let alone my building doesn't allow people to work on cars. When it comes to something complex like that I rather have the professionals do it, if something goes wrong I can always blame them, lol.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:02 AM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

well i havent done LT's on the Mach yet, but in my GT we just unbolted the engine mounts and jacked up the engine as far as we could, got em in there, was a hassle but it worked. not sure if the DOHC motor will allow enough room to do this.
Old 11-08-2008, 11:31 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Yeah I was pondering the same question for a while and came up with this conclusion about getting LTs without paying a fortune....we're screwed. The cheapest set I've seen is BBK. After paying a shop for the install we're paying $1000-$1200 for 20 hp.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Yeah I was pondering the same question for a while and came up with this conclusion about getting LTs without paying a fortune....we're screwed. The cheapest set I've seen is BBK. After paying a shop for the install we're paying $1000-$1200 for 20 hp.
yea doesn't sound like much of a deal, that money is much better spent on a tune and you will still probably still have a couple hundred bucks left over. Still waiting on someone thats actually done it or had it done to get their input, though.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Stone629
6th Gear Member

You can drop the K member or loosen the passenger side motor mount. Its a bitch, but you can do it. I will do my own before I pay $500 for someone else to do it. Just don't ever attempt it without a lift. As far as realigning the K member, you can plainly see where it was seated before due to rust, dirt, etc, that will make an outline where it was before. Yes it is a pain, but if you can do it yourself, its worth it IMO.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:26 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Stone629
You can drop the K member or loosen the passenger side motor mount. Its a bitch, but you can do it. I will do my own before I pay $500 for someone else to do it. Just don't ever attempt it without a lift. As far as realigning the K member, you can plainly see where it was seated before due to rust, dirt, etc, that will make an outline where it was before. Yes it is a pain, but if you can do it yourself, its worth it IMO.
I know I can do with someones help, but like I said a few posts back, I don't have a lift or jackstands in order to make this happen.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:31 PM
nikbait
3rd Gear Member

I too, have thought about LT's, but have done enough searching to find out that it really isn't worth the hassle. You can find better ways to increase your hp without spending that much money.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:02 AM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by nikbait
I too, have thought about LT's, but have done enough searching to find out that it really isn't worth the hassle. You can find better ways to increase your hp without spending that much money.
The first couple mods I'm thinking about are o/r H pipe, catback, intake, intake spacer, 4.10 gears and a tune. Any other good bang for the buck mods out there I should know about.

Quick Reply: L/T installation