Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Some new mods!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 09:56 AM
rob.d
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by USMCrebel
no it won't...gear neither add nor subtract HP.they are simply a factor by which the power is multiplied. but in 4th gear which is a 1:1 gear it nullifies that.
I usually see about 7-8 hp loss when going from 3.42's to 4.10's.(ls1) Is the loss real well thats a different story. When cars add gears cars usually get better et's. So how does better et and lower dyno numbers add up. I have been told three or four reasons why you lose hp on the dyno. Below made the most since when I asked about the hp loss on dyno's.

"The increased parasitic loss from the metal-to-metal contact with more teeth on the ring gear."

Is the answer right or wrong.IDK But the loss will show on the dyno. If you have ever done a same day dyno and gear swap post up.

I have also been told about a timing issues with the dyno's and the gears. Im not to sure about that explantion either. Either way the loss shows on the dyno. We get still get better track times and the car pulls harder on the street/track. We race on the track/street not on dyno's. Just putting that out their.
Old 02-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 03MachMe
dude take your car to gearheads. i dont know where you went but i would never go back. i dynoed mine at gearheads with just the FIPK, off road H and flowmaster weld ins and it was 290/311. and when it comes time to install the gears hit me up i have a friend that can do it for less than any shop he is a ford tech and did mine. i have 0 whine and drives PERFECT. had the rear apart not too long ago and checked them and still looked perfect. but take the car to gearheads. travis is a cool guy that wont dick you around
That's where I got the gears installed. Travis really cool and I won't go anywhere else.

There was another guy there with an 04 mach that had L/T's, O/R X, magnaflow catback, intake spacer, TB, JLT intake and he dynoed at 294 hp & 307 ft/lbs. Travis told us to come back and have a custom tune done and we'll see better numbers.

Can someone explain gear whine to me?? When the car is in 5th gear from about 55-70 mph i hear what sounds like a loose bearing or metal to metal noise. I don't hear it in any other gears. Is this gear whine? Should I take it back to gearheads?
Old 02-19-2009, 06:51 PM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

if the gear was not installed PERFECT you will hear some whine. as long as its not super loud your fine its not going to hurt anything. the higher the gear the louder the whine. i would expect better numbers with LTs tho did you say it didnt have a dyno tune? if not that is prolly about right after a dyno tune with travis he should be seeing about 315 or so
Old 02-19-2009, 09:50 PM
Houghtown
2nd Gear Member

He did not have a tune on his. Travis told him to come back and he would be over 300 w/ a custom tune. I want to do the same after I get my spacer in. I would like to hit 300 with a good tune and my mods.

Yes the whine is in the higher gears. I hear it a little in 4th and a lot in 5th between 55-65 mph. Will that whine eventually go away or is that there until i change gears or get rid of the car?
Old 02-20-2009, 08:57 AM
03MachMe
2nd Gear Member

yea he will be at about 315 or so i would say and you would prolly be just under 300. im not sure if the whine goes away or not i dont have any so i wouldnt be able to tell yea. i know it would go away if you got louder exhaust lol