Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

S/C Mach 1 or SVT Cobra? Need opinion on what to buy.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:53 AM
jh2586
1st Gear Member

Default S/C Mach 1 or SVT Cobra? Need opinion on what to buy.

Ok so here's my story. I'm in the U.S. Army currently deployed in Kosovo (eastern Europe). I previously had a 2001 and a half Mustang GT (came with T-3650 tranny). Now I've saved up quite a bit of money, and I'm returning home soon. I have more than enough to buy a 03/04 cobra, but there's something about the Mach 1's that I like more than the cobras. I can't really explain it. Maybe it looks better, the shaker hood scoop is intimidating, or because it's the "underdog" of the two. I understand the differences in the two. Cobra has 4v engine, s/c, IRS, more power etc.. Mach 1 has 4v engine, solid rear axle, ram air, better looks (IMO).

Here are my options:

Option 1: Purchase Cobra, add bolt-ons.

Option 2: Purchase Mach 1, add s/c.

right now I'm more biased towards the Mach 1 set-up.

Both options would cost about the same.

Cheapest 03/04 cobra I found was $19k

Cheapest 03/04 mach 1 I found was $12k (With s/c set-up would be close to 19k.)

Looking for opinions
Old 04-08-2009, 06:24 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

i would go with the mach 1. i wish i wouldve spent the extra couple grand on one but i love my car. mach one, definitely
Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 AM
jh2586
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
i would go with the mach 1. i wish i wouldve spent the extra couple grand on one but i love my car. mach one, definitely
yeah definately! and yes i love my GT as well.. but it's time to upgrade a bit . I was doin a bit of research on the cobras.. and i guess the IRS is supposed to make the ride more comfortable, do better on turns and such.. while the solid axle on the machs are geared more towards launching from a dig.. I myself like to do twisties often.. but then again.. i like to drag a lot too

UGGHHH SUCH A HARD DECISION!! I know the cobras have forged everything.. whereas the Machs only have a forged flywheel (MT)

But then again.. the Mach 1s are just soo effing sexy... am i crazy and the only one who thinks mach 1s are slightly sexier looking than cobras or is it just me?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

i think its just you... i like the cobras a lot better, my buddy has a mach 1 s/c and it looks like a gt with a shaker hood in my opinion...it does have about 500 hp, but cobras cant get faster pretty easy... if you do get a mach 1 at least change that hideous front bumper as your first upgrade, hate that license plate spot! but if the decision is between the mach and the cobra, i strongly think the cobra is the way to go, you could always turbo it or swap out the supercharger for a nice upgrade!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:00 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sweger
and IMO the mach 1 isnt really too far off from a gt... it looks a lil diff, has a lil more horsepower and diff interior, but for the price difference, you could get a really really nice gt for the price of a beat on mach 1, not to mention most of the gts come with at least an exhaust at this point... i had to choose between a mach and a gt and i went with the gt cuz i figured with what i was saving i could make my gt that much better, lol... no offense to mach guys, just the shaker isnt for me, lol
Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 AM
jh2586
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tha187Rookie
i think its just you... i like the cobras a lot better, my buddy has a mach 1 s/c and it looks like a gt with a shaker hood in my opinion...it does have about 500 hp, but cobras cant get faster pretty easy... if you do get a mach 1 at least change that hideous front bumper as your first upgrade, hate that license plate spot! but if the decision is between the mach and the cobra, i strongly think the cobra is the way to go, you could always turbo it or swap out the supercharger for a nice upgrade!
I'll keep that in mind At this point it's 50/50. UGGHHH lol?
Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tha187Rookie
and IMO the mach 1 isnt really too far off from a gt... it looks a lil diff, has a lil more horsepower and diff interior, but for the price difference, you could get a really really nice gt for the price of a beat on mach 1, not to mention most of the gts come with at least an exhaust at this point... i had to choose between a mach and a gt and i went with the gt cuz i figured with what i was saving i could make my gt that much better, lol... no offense to mach guys, just the shaker isnt for me, lol
yeah i payed $13k for mine in december with 19k on it and completely stock. mch 1's with similar mileage were going for around $16-18k and have since dropped maybe a thousand. the main reason i prefer the mach over a gt isnt for looks, but the engine. the 4v motor has so much more n/a potential.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
DarkShadow04
3rd Gear Member

yea, more N/A potential but i dont think its worth like the $5,000 lol, i bought my GT with decent modification for $15,000 with over $4,000 invested in upgrades when a stock mach was goin for like 18-20 with similar mileage... i dont think its worth the money for a mach, the real question should be GT or Cobra, and in that sense id rather take the cobra, lol...unless of course you're going to keep the mach stock and not drive it to keep as a collector vehicle
Old 04-08-2009, 10:49 AM
antiv6
5th Gear Member

i had a mach 1 before i go the cobra, i was either gonna supercharge the mach 1 or get a cobra. Well i got a cobra and am so glad i did, the car feel so much better than the mach 1 did, ride is smoother, seats are nicer, better transmission and motor. Even if you supercharge the mach 1 you will be pushing the internals, but 450-460hp you can get out of a cobra with bolt ons and not ever worry about it, and if you want more you just get a whipple/kb and dont have to mess with internals. Plus its nice having a car that doesnt have all the panels of a gt except a different hood.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
sweger
3rd Gear Member

DOUBLE POST

Last edited by sweger; 04-09-2009 at 03:19 AM.

Quick Reply: S/C Mach 1 or SVT Cobra? Need opinion on what to buy.