Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Benefits of Camming a Mach 1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 03:59 PM
postmastrr

Default Benefits of Camming a Mach 1?

Well, about a year and a half ago I put BBK long tube on my mach 1, and just recently put a JLT cold air intake on and of course I have the SCT programmer, but recently i've wanted to look into putting a set of cams in my mach 1. Now granted parts will be the most expensive part of this project, i'm looking to install them myself, but i'm scared...very scared. First: Will the benefits of a cam be worth the trouble and the money, and second: How hard would this be to do myself? I'm not an idiot, I did my long tubes by myself instead of paying $800 for a shop to do them, and i'm pretty sure I could do these cams if anyone had a good how-to post. Let me know what you guys think.
Old 12-22-2009, 04:38 PM
mikedeuce6
1st Gear Member

Cool! Another DIY guy. I cant wait to read the responses on this one cause it sounds like you have the same ideas as me.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:31 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Ha, I paid $619 to have longtubes installed after a quoted $450 and the shop said it was the first and last mustang they would ever do lol! Cant wait to see whats involved in cams... I was wondering myself.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:40 AM
postmastrr

Well I'm lucky enough to have access to a garage with a lift and any tool I need. Another benefit of being in the military. It took 8 hours of my Saturday, and about 25 bucks to rent the lift. Did it all myself but I didn't have time to put the midpipe In before they closed. Still not bad for having to drop the motor out. Funny...I can take the motor out of an F-22 stealth fighter faster than I can a mustang haha.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:47 AM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

awesome...yeah i don't have a guide on how install these cams, but it's hard to see a ton of gain without a decent intake to match the cams, the best bang for buck cams are the 96-98 cobra intake cams. but if your spending money the cams from the ford GT will do nicely as well.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:03 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Ford GT cams... sounds awesome. That will work? lol. postmastrr - I too have access to a lift, my uncle has one at his house, but just didnt want to go through the hassel. It took them 2 full days to do it lol!
Old 12-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Camming a 4V motor is an awful lot of expense and work for very minimal gain, IMHO. I can think of many other things that are less expensive and labor intensive that will provide much return on investment in terms of power gains.
Old 12-24-2009, 06:34 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mach1man
Camming a 4V motor is an awful lot of expense and work for very minimal gain, IMHO. I can think of many other things that are less expensive and labor intensive that will provide much return on investment in terms of power gains.
Do you have cams?
Old 12-25-2009, 12:24 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fstanggt96
Do you have cams?
Yeah, I've got 4 of them, just like you! LOL! j/k

The Aluminator motor has the equivilant of the stock cams, since it comes with 03/04 Cobra heads. My motor was built to be supercharged, so the stock cams work just fine.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:35 AM
mikedeuce6
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by postmastrr
Well I'm lucky enough to have access to a garage with a lift and any tool I need. Another benefit of being in the military. It took 8 hours of my Saturday, and about 25 bucks to rent the lift. Did it all myself but I didn't have time to put the midpipe In before they closed. Still not bad for having to drop the motor out. Funny...I can take the motor out of an F-22 stealth fighter faster than I can a mustang haha.
Wonder how you could get that Raptor engine in your Mach........

Quick Reply: Benefits of Camming a Mach 1?