Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach is going to the shop tomorrow... :(

Old 05-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Default Mach is going to the shop tomorrow... :(

Bringing my brothers mach into the shop tomorrow. It has a very very loud tick from the back of the drivers side head. I figure its the head tick issue but it sounds nasty thats for sure. I'm bringing it to TheShopInc in lincoln NE if ne of you guys are familiar with it... Wish me luck, anyone know if I can just get the head rebuilt and what kinda $$ I would be looking at? Car is being sold after the fix so I wanna keep it cheap.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:21 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

The Shop Inc is great and will treat you very well and do great work.

One thing I want to ask is have you taken off the header recently? I had a header leak that I couldn't figure out and sounded bad. Took it out to The Shop Inc and luckily, Pat the owner, had that same noise and told me it was a header leak. Come to find out one of my headers bolt completely backed out.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Nope, have never touched the headers. Its a nasty tick, the car had a slight tick once before and it just went away, now its back times 10! I hope they hook me up and give me an honest estimate my bro is going to be selling the car when he gets home and besides that it's a great car I just don't want to see him paying over $1800 for a fix.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:28 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Well they are going to charge you to look at your brothers car plus let you know what is wrong. Either way they will treat you right. Pat, the owner, has a 10 second '99 Mustang GT with a twin turbo stock longblock setup. They are the only place I will take my car.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:42 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Ya I figure they will charge but I doubt it is going to be too expensive to diagnose, hope not. I have no experience with heads, think it's possible to keep it under $1800 if I need a head refinished?
Old 05-09-2010, 11:04 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

They charge ~$85/hour.

And I'm not sure what the price would be to do that. They will let you know tomorrow. Hopefully it's not serious.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:14 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Ya I hope, well I guess I'll find out... I guess 85/hr isn't terrible huh, although its been a while since I went to the ford dealership.
Old 05-09-2010, 11:27 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

The Shop Inc is worth it. Take it there. They will treat you right.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Dropped it off, and I have to say that the guys there seem nice. It's unreal how many shops and businesses in general I have went to and run into rude people. I'm not doing much today so I'm waiting for a call back!
Old 05-10-2010, 03:25 PM
Kenny_k82
2nd Gear Member

Bad news, it's a valve issue on the drivers side, I was told the only fix would be taking off both heads and having a valve job done. I was told it would be $3000, guess it's gonna get sold with a tick, gonna lose money on selling it to pay that to have it fixed. Any ideas on what I can get out of a great looking 04' mach with the infamous head tick?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mach is going to the shop tomorrow... :(