Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Short throw shifter

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 11:18 AM
theforsaken

Default Short throw shifter

Im about to order a Pro 5.0 shifter....but my buddy says go with Steeda Tri-ax.

What yall think?
Old 08-19-2010, 02:13 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Forget both of them and get an MGW lol. Check em out, bad ***!

http://www.mgwltd.com/mustang_shifter.shtml
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

None of the above! Real men bang gears with a Hurst shifter!

Old 08-20-2010, 08:57 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

MGW is my vote
Old 08-20-2010, 09:41 AM
theforsaken

ill have to do some research on MGW. never really even thought about that one. Also, i told my friend i was prolly getting a pro 5.0 or something and he said that i might need to adjust it so i dont F up my tranny.....why would i have to adjust the new shifter?? shouldnt i be able to just install it and go.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:46 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

There are stop bolts you may need to play with. With the MGW on 3650 trans, you can install it and go. In fact if you DO install the stop bolts you may screw up the trans.

I don't know if it's the 3650 trans that does not require stop bolts with any aftermarket STS, or that fact the MGW does not.

Search on here, the MGW has been covered plenty of times. Cliff did a little explanation at one point. Everyone that has one has always liked it. I've never read of ppl going to anything else after having an MGW. But I have read of ppl going from something else to an MGW.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 AM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

MWG is the only way to go....^^^Also I am one of those people. I had a Hurst. I drove a buddy's 04 Mustang that had a MGW and ordered the MGW that night..
Old 08-20-2010, 10:52 AM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

LOL! You kids are funny! Everything has to be all "touchy-feely" today. Eww, my clutch is too hard/soft, eww, my shifter is too notchy/tall/short/bad location/whatever!

I've driven cars with all those other shifters, and to me they just feel like subtle variations of the stock shifter. The MGW has more heft to it than most, so it feels more solid and firmer in your grip.

I can tell you this, Hurst has been producing quality shifters since way before most of you saw the light of day for the first time.

Those of us who drove and raced first generation muscle cars relied on Hurst to provide a product that could take tons of abuse, and still get the job done. What was good enough to sit on top of a Muncie M-22 "Rock Crusher", a Borg-Warner T-10, or Ford Toploader 4-speed, is still good enough for me!

The very first mod I made to my Mach 1 was the Hurst shifter installation. Then I proceeded to the track, and in an otherwise bone stock car, ripped off a 13.1 @105, because I could powershift the car, and know that it was going to go into gear, no matter what!

While others have bitched and moaned about how bad the TR3650 tranny is, I've been pounding on mine for almost eight years now, and have had no problems shifting it, on the street, at the track, stock, mild bolt-ons, nitrous, and now with over six hundred horsepower sitting in front of it!
Old 09-26-2010, 06:39 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

I have a roush short throw and love it, the thing is awesome
Old 09-26-2010, 06:54 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

My vote is for the steeda triax because its what I got and feels absolutely incredible, this car has been daily driven plenty of miles since I got it 3 years ago and the shifting is smoother than ever, its keeps getting better and better. All of my mustang buddies who have ever driven my car have nothing but great things to say about it, some have changed over to the triax. Whatever you do just make sure you get rid of the stock garbage 8 ball shift ****, I got an FR500 and the grip is night and day, and doesn't get anywhere near as hot when left in the sun.

Quick Reply: Short throw shifter