Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Mach has a new noise...

Old 10-10-2010, 11:25 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Looked/test drove a 2006 EVO IX today(previouse owner was military) with a turboback and a really nice sterosystem today, 25k miles, said hed sell it to me for 21,900 and give me 14500 trade in for my car as it sits(payed 15500 13k miles ago). What do you think, car is pretty much flawless(trunk doesnt stay open by itself, the installer broke it while instaling the sub box...)

2005-06 STi or 06 EVO IX??? What would you prefer if you were going to buy one(even if you wouldnt)

http://www.valleypontiac.com/invento...rent=1&size=10

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 10-10-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:53 AM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

I think I saw your car tonight on 167, I wasn't driving the Mach though. The AWD feature is cool on the STI and Evo, but I don't really feel the wing or the interior. If I were to trade in my Mach 1 I think I would go for a BMW 135i or a C5 Z06.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Just understand that as long as you keep getting used cars they will all have their set of problems, an evo isn't any different. With that said I'd choose an Evo IX over all other 4cyl. AWD cars.
Old 10-11-2010, 06:25 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

my buddy had a small tick...let me find the video we got of it...
Here:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/04-m...ck_2049231.htm

Look into the "head cooling mod" if that's what yours sounds like. He has since drained and put in new coolant and said it drastically reduced the noise...
Old 10-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by darkmach1
Just understand that as long as you keep getting used cars they will all have their set of problems, an evo isn't any different. With that said I'd choose an Evo IX over all other 4cyl. AWD cars.
Its true, I bought a used Nissan Maxima as a commuter car and one of the fuel injectors has gone bad so I have to replace the ones under the intake manifold ($1k job). Every used car I've bought has had problems out the door even with low low mileage. 04 GT had the alternator go out and my 04 Mach 1 had the clutch go out. Have about $1,500 set aside if you trade your car in for any potential problems you might have with the new used car.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by smitty2919
my buddy had a small tick...let me find the video we got of it...
Here:

http://www.streetfire.net/video/04-m...ck_2049231.htm

Look into the "head cooling mod" if that's what yours sounds like. He has since drained and put in new coolant and said it drastically reduced the noise...
YES! this is the exact noise only mine isnt quite that loud I dont think... Hard to tell when comparing to a video. Head cooling mod huh? He hasnt had any problems after that?
Old 10-12-2010, 12:39 AM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackened04
I think I saw your car tonight on 167, I wasn't driving the Mach though. The AWD feature is cool on the STI and Evo, but I don't really feel the wing or the interior. If I were to trade in my Mach 1 I think I would go for a BMW 135i or a C5 Z06.
Lol, yeah I looked on river road, south tacoma way, and auburn valley and in the sunset area from about 12:30 to 6:00 on Sunday. I like the wing on the STi, and love the interior of the STi. Most Evo's have terrible interior but this one that I looked at had the SSL Recaro package which in person is really nice. This car only had a downpipe-back exhaust and a CAI and it felt faster than my car. Plus boost feels nice and I am considering this over an STi because of its milage. My Dad said he wouldnt co-sign for me though because the trunk doesnt stay open by itself(needs new tensioners I think they're called?) and it has some wierd custom speaker things on the door pannels... O well, cant force him to co-sign if he doesnt want to so ima keep looking or talk him into taking a second look. (I just think he doesnt want me in an import lol)

Last edited by Fstanggt96; 10-12-2010 at 12:41 AM.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:33 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

http://www.evenflowcooling.com/home.html

This explains the mod and what it does. It basically allows the coolant to exit from the back of the drivers side head and feed back into the radiator instad of having to pass back through to the front of the drivers head to exit and get cooled. By buddy has not done this mod but I have read that it is a good preventitive mod to do. But it's one of those things that once the damage is done, it's done. Changing coolant and doing the mod may help you. It deff wouldn't hurt IMO lol.

Google "4V head tick" or similar and read on other forums about it. Seems quite a common problem. If I got a Mach, that's the first mod I would do even if it wasn't ticking.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:51 AM
Blackened04
1st Gear Member

My car has the head tick on the driver's side head as well. I had it diagnosed at korum ford which was a waste of time and money. They said it was lifter noise and not to worry about it, unless I wanted them to tear into the head. My car only does the tick after the car warms up to full operating temp at idle. Anything above 1000 rpm and there is no tick. I've learned to just deal with it. Seems like the aluminum blocks amplify valvetrain noise when compared to cast iron bocks. Switching oil from Mobil 1 to Penzoil Ultra seemed to quite it down some, maybe its just in my head.
Old 10-12-2010, 12:19 PM
Fstanggt96
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackened04
My car has the head tick on the driver's side head as well. I had it diagnosed at korum ford which was a waste of time and money. They said it was lifter noise and not to worry about it, unless I wanted them to tear into the head. My car only does the tick after the car warms up to full operating temp at idle. Anything above 1000 rpm and there is no tick. I've learned to just deal with it. Seems like the aluminum blocks amplify valvetrain noise when compared to cast iron bocks. Switching oil from Mobil 1 to Penzoil Ultra seemed to quite it down some, maybe its just in my head.
Yeah everytime I have asked Korum about something it has been a joke, I go to TMS in Auburn now and they look at my car without charge. Sounds like the exact same tick I have...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mach has a new noise...