Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

install help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

Default install help!!

hey guys, Im getting ready to install my first bolt on, magnaflow cat back exhaust. I was wondering if there is anything I should know before I jack the car up and install the exhaust. I did the catback on my chevy but never a ford. The instructions call for me to cut the stock tail pipes, is this true? I already have liquid wrench for the bolts, are there any other things I should know or any tips?? Should I get the exhaust welded when Im done?? Thanks for the help!!
Old 01-10-2011, 06:13 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Giver her hell man, very easy install you'll be fine.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:15 PM
kugzgt
5th Gear Member

you will need to cut the stock tail pipes unless you drop your rear down, installation is quite simple, the most you will need is basic mechanics tools. it always a good idea to have a few little welds tacked on, but you can get away without doing it with a solid install.
Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

let us hear how she sounds by posting a clip in the exhaust notes sticky!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:07 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

ok, I will post when it is done. Guess I am going to have to buy a tool at home depot or something to cut the pipes. I have a hack saw but I can see that taking all day!!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Make it easy on yourself and cut the stock exhaust behind the mufflers. Unbolt it from the midpipe, drop the front section of the catback then take the over axle part out.

My advice is to get 4 jackstands to get the car as high as SAFELY as possible to give you the most room under there to work. The hangers holding the catback near the rear axle can be a PITA but squirt some WD-40 or any kind of lubicant, move them around and then be easier to pull the hangers out.

I have heard, but have not done it muself, that you CAN fish an aftermarket CB over- axle pipes in without the car being on a lift. So you need it decently high off the gorund to do so. Everything is straight forward, put it in, alighn everything.

I suggest NOT tacking or welding anything. If you ever want to remove it or change mufflers you have to grind away little tack welds...not worth it. It will hold and align just fine just bolting it in.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:00 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

thanks for the help guys...Ive got some ramps that I am going to drive the rear tires onto and hopefully it will be high enough. Tomorrow is the install, hope I can sleep.
Old 01-12-2011, 07:35 AM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

You are better off with jack stands prob. Driving on ramps will keep the rear axle "up" when you want it to drop "down" to give you more room to fish the pipes in from the back of the car. You can also use jack stands and remove both wheels, then take out the lower shock bolt to gain another 2" of drop or more in the axle.

I don't know what comes with the magnaflow CB, but DON"T use those SH!tty "U-clamps"(these) they will crimp the pipe and if you have to remove the CB, makes it a PITA. If it were me (and I did do this) go buy some "lap-style band clamps" from Summit. Use the U-clamps for now but don't tighten down on them. Or you could maybe use regular band clamps

Last edited by smitty2919; 01-12-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

Ok, finished the install, I will post video soon. Smitty: its funny you say that because the install was going smooth and fast on the ramps until its was time to put the pipes over the axle!! I was scratching my head and then it hit me, so i jacked the car up and they went over nice and easy!!

Overall very easy install that I think anyone can do, make sure you have a sawzall to cut the pipes. Those clamps suck that come with it so I am going to look into maybe getting it welded or some of those band clamps.

The car sounds great and it is just a little louder and deeper then stock. Car also feels a little quicker in the higher rpms.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:35 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

is it a chamber muffler magnaflow setup, or the magnapack glasspacks.

Quick Reply: install help!!