Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

04 Mach 1 auto/trans exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 08:57 AM
Kydwykkyd
1st Gear Member

Unhappy 04 Mach 1 auto/trans exhaust

I called a local shop to get a price on how much they would charge to do my exhaust on my automatic 04 mach 1. I want these Borla Stingers S-Type Catback and some BBK Ceramic Long Tube Headers both from American Muscle. HOWEVER, the owner said "That cant be done, on a Mach 1, ESPECIALY an automatic...im very busy atm please call later for more details". I dont get how thats possible when reviews on American Muscle claim theyve done it to their Mach 1s. Is this guy just BSing me or can i really NOT modify my exhaust? Thanks in advance
Old 01-15-2011, 11:40 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Your local shop isn't familiar with latemodels. You can change any part of you exhaust. With LTs you'll need a shorty midpipe. A catted X is what I recommend. You'll just need to check on is which LTs fit a Mach with an auto, there are a couple that don't. To stoay around the same cost, check if MACs do if BBK doesn't. And be prepared to spend anywhere from $500-$700 for a LT install. You can do the rest yourself.
Old 01-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Kydwykkyd
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Your local shop isn't familiar with latemodels. You can change any part of you exhaust. With LTs you'll need a shorty midpipe. A catted X is what I recommend. You'll just need to check on is which LTs fit a Mach with an auto, there are a couple that don't. To stoay around the same cost, check if MACs do if BBK doesn't. And be prepared to spend anywhere from $500-$700 for a LT install. You can do the rest yourself.
Im not familiar with exhaust at all. I think a full exhaust systems is just headers, mid pip, cats, tailpipe, and exhaust tip right?

Also i REALLY want borla exhaust. How would i know if an exaust might not fit my mach 1? Any particular words to look for?
Old 01-15-2011, 01:44 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kydwykkyd
Im not familiar with exhaust at all. I think a full exhaust systems is just headers, mid pip, cats, tailpipe, and exhaust tip right?

Also i REALLY want borla exhaust. How would i know if an exaust might not fit my mach 1? Any particular words to look for?
1) 3 parts make up the entire exhaust system: headers, midpipe, catback
2) The headers you want will say they're for a 4V (four valve) 03/04 Cobra/Mach1. The midpipes will fall under 99-04 GT/Mach 1.

EDIT: just so you know, the extreme purchase/install expense of LTs yields only around another 15 horsepower over a good midpipe/catback combo. Unless you plan or racing, something you may want to consider is just going with a quality catted x-pipe and Borla catback.

Last edited by rygi23; 01-15-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 08:04 AM
Kydwykkyd
1st Gear Member

Ok when you say "catted x-pipe" what does "catted" mean? I heard of strait threws and chambered. Wich would catted be? and i thought borla cat backs ment it came with a caty?
Old 01-16-2011, 01:41 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

catted means they still have the catalytic converter which you will need if your state does emitions testing. The cats are located in the mid pipe section of you exhaust.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Ok when you say "catted x-pipe" what does "catted" mean? I heard of strait threws and chambered. Wich would catted be? and i thought borla cat backs ment it came with a caty?
Man, you weren't kidding when you said you didn't know much about this stuff, lol. It's all good man.

MIDPIPE: The cats aren't on the catback, they're on the midpipe, the section of pipe that comes off the headers and goes back to the catback. It's in the middle, hence the prefix "mid". Your stock midpipe has 4 cats (2 on each side) which REALLY restricts exhaust flow. An aftermarket catted midpipe has only 1 cat on each side and they flow better than a regular cat. A noncatted midpipe is called an offroad midpipe, because many states require converters on all vehicles for emissions.

CATBACK: The mufflers are part of the catback. You can choose straight-through (Borla Stingers) or chambered ones. The Stingers obviously will flow better and give a tad more power gain from less restriction, while the chambered ones give a little deeper muscle car sound. Power gain with the Stingers is 8-10 and 4-5 with the chambered.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:10 AM
Kydwykkyd
1st Gear Member

Man, you weren't kidding when you said you didn't know much about this stuff, lol. It's all good man.

MIDPIPE: The cats aren't on the catback, they're on the midpipe, the section of pipe that comes off the headers and goes back to the catback. It's in the middle, hence the prefix "mid". Your stock midpipe has 4 cats (2 on each side) which REALLY restricts exhaust flow. An aftermarket catted midpipe has only 1 cat on each side and they flow better than a regular cat. A noncatted midpipe is called an offroad midpipe, because many states require converters on all vehicles for emissions.

CATBACK: The mufflers are part of the catback. You can choose straight-through (Borla Stingers) or chambered ones. The Stingers obviously will flow better and give a tad more power gain from less restriction, while the chambered ones give a little deeper muscle car sound. Power gain with the Stingers is 8-10 and 4-5 with the chambered.
Yeah i got the main ideas just not the code words like "catted and chambered" lol. Thanks man that helps alot. Glad to get rid of the confusion of "catted" and "catback" not being the same thing. Ill be sure to post more questions if i have any.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Kydwykkyd
1st Gear Member

Alright yo i got a new question. I just realized on American Muscle there are 2 different x-pips. A SLP x pipe and SLP SHORTY x pipe. Why is there a shorty and regular x pipe? Does that depend on my headers? Because i plan to get LT.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:37 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Alright yo i got a new question. I just realized on American Muscle there are 2 different x-pips. A SLP x pipe and SLP SHORTY x pipe. Why is there a shorty and regular x pipe? Does that depend on my headers? Because i plan to get LT.
LTs require a SHORTY midpipe. AM is a sponsor of our forums so supporting them is recommended. When you're ready to purchase you can get in touch with a moderator and get our forum 6% discount. They carry the full SLP line so if you're also buying a catback you should think about buying one of them. The quality is right there with Borla, Magnaflow, etc.

Quick Reply: 04 Mach 1 auto/trans exhaust