Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

4.10 gears and o/r x-pipe next week!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011, 10:56 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

Default 4.10 gears and o/r x-pipe next week!!

Sorry, not really a post, I just needed to get some of my excitement of my chest. Just got done talking with my local shop and he is going to do my 4.10 gears and x pipe next week for a great price!

I cant wait, he said its going to really wake the car up!! Anyone think I can get into the high 12's yet?
Old 01-16-2011, 07:57 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 954mach1
Sorry, not really a post, I just needed to get some of my excitement of my chest. Just got done talking with my local shop and he is going to do my 4.10 gears and x pipe next week for a great price!

I cant wait, he said its going to really wake the car up!! Anyone think I can get into the high 12's yet?
Congrats man. I've done this "excitement off the chest" post many times myself. Making your baby faster for a fair price feels really good. You should definitly be high 12s on street tires and solid mid 12s on DRs. With 4.10s, the gears are closer to eachother. Winding her out will cost you ET and MPH. That was my experience anyhow.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:43 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

well rygi23 not all of use are as good at getting off the line as you so depending on the op's ability he may just be knocking on the door like me them again he will have 4.10's mine are currently in my buddies car...lol.
So op have you ran the car down the strip before the mods you listed (ie whats your base line)
Old 01-17-2011, 05:50 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by watman02
well rygi23 not all of use are as good at getting off the line as you so depending on the op's ability he may just be knocking on the door like me
hey, Lord knows I ain't all that. Heck, with the 4.10s and street tires I think I'd just start in 2nd because I now suck burls getting those things to hook. He'll get it down, and we'll help him get there. I do see what you're saying though, I've said it before that I'm blessed to run on an always well-prepped track with very low elevation. I noticed he's in FL, the benefit of cool air is out the window which doesn't help down the track. OP, just makes steps forward with each trip to the track...and have a freaking blast doing it.
Old 01-17-2011, 10:57 PM
954mach1
1st Gear Member

thanks for the replies. I've been to the track many times before; however they were all auto's. I can drive a manual pretty good but I am not saying I am a professional. Also I am on street tires.

I have no baseline ET's but from my experience in the past the car deff felt like a mid-low 13 second car stock. I am not a track junkie, I just like to go so I know where my car stands performance wise every once and a while. I dont care to much about hp because I know track times is what matters. Trust me I know, I had a 12 second n/a impala with only 334hp to the wheels.

Also, when you say winding out the gears, are you suggesting I change gears at a lower RPM, like say 6,000??? I really hope I can get in the 12.7-12.9 range. Also my builder told me he was going to get a custom tune for my diablo that will improve on the can tune that comes with it so hopefully I can get some more power there as well.
Old 01-18-2011, 05:15 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 954mach1
when you say winding out the gears, are you suggesting I change gears at a lower RPM, like say 6,000??? I really hope I can get in the 12.7-12.9 range. Also my builder told me he was going to get a custom tune for my diablo that will improve on the can tune that comes with it so hopefully I can get some more power there as well.
I've learned that with the 4.10s optimal shiftpoints are about 300 rpm lower. 1-2 shift is done be feel/sound (too much going on to look at the tach), 2-3 @ 6300 and 3-4 @ 6000. After ALOT of aggravating trial and error that's what's yielded the fastest runs, both mph and ET. The newer revision of the Diablo 93 tune is really good in my book, that's what I run. Curious if the custom tune will yield big gaines over it. Give some feedback if you can remember to.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:06 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

The 4.10 gears will wake up your car a lot!!!
The X-pipe probably won't net you a whole lot of power, but every little bit helps.
High 12's is a strong possibility if you can get a 60' near 2.0 seconds. You will find it super easy to light up the tires with the 4.10's until you get some practice launching with them. Initially, you can just try coming out just off idle and rolling into the throttle as quickly as the traction will allow. That may yield more consistent 60' until you get a feel for how much traction your tires will provide. Pay particular attention to your shift points as mentioned above and just have some fun!!!

It should look and sound good as it goes down the track
Old 01-19-2011, 04:56 PM
darkmach1
4th Gear Member

Congrats. What other mods do you have? You're gonna need a sub 2.0 60ft to hit 12s and with street tires, especially stock ones, its gonna be very hard to accomplish even though PBIR is a decent track. Also we dont have to cool air or -DAs that others have up north. I havent seen many other machs down here other than an auto DSG with suspension, full bolt ons, built auto and stall, he ran 8.2 or so in the 1/8th and his best on 100shot is like 7.7. Most cars I see are s197s and even though they're not Mach1s they run very similar times IMO, with minor bolt ons(intake, tune, drag radials) the best I saw was a 13.0 @ 104 w/ a 1.8 60ft on a 6k launch. Not trying dissappoint you or anything but just go with an open mind.

Last edited by darkmach1; 01-19-2011 at 08:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 06:23 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by TRUEBLUE3934
The X-pipe probably won't net you a whole lot of power, but every little bit helps.
Man, I respectfully disagree. An o/r X yields 20 peak hp over the stock H (give or take a couple), and a hi-flo catted X isn't far behind. In the 1/4 mi., an o/r X change gave myself and a fellow Macher 2 and 3 mph gains. The best $ for $ mod IMO.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 PM
TRUEBLUE3934
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by rygi23
Man, I respectfully disagree. An o/r X yields 20 peak hp over the stock H (give or take a couple), and a hi-flo catted X isn't far behind. In the 1/4 mi., an o/r X change gave myself and a fellow Macher 2 and 3 mph gains. The best $ for $ mod IMO.
OK. I'll have to take your word for the 20rwhp gain with just an O/R X pipe. Maybe they are worth a lot more on a 4V than on the 2V. A 2V will only gain around 7rwhp. I figured he might see 10rwhp, which is an improvement, but won't be seat of the pants noticeable.

20rwhp would make it a lot of bang for the buck. Right there with gears.
He should love those two mods together!!!

Quick Reply: 4.10 gears and o/r x-pipe next week!!