Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

my plan for the week end!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:36 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

Default my plan for the week end!!!

started off the PHP intake spacer...done and as an added benifit the shaker sits up higher now and looks good havent drove it yet to see if there is a difference but will tomarow then on to the big project... intake cam install!!!!
My plan (will see if its possable) is to pull the valve covers remove/lossen the intake cam sproket bolt and then the cam caps and replace the cams with the 96 cobra ones I aquired. since its got a key way this should be pretty simple (as long as I can get the sproket bolt loose) so will see.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:23 PM
WannaBeGearHead
Go Texas!!!

Nice! You should be seeing some good power with the Cobra intake cams.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:00 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

so after having to move the p/s resovoure the hydro boost(and now I have to bleed the brakes ) remove part of the harness, clutch cable from clutch pedal assembly. and that was just to get the dam valve cover off.

and It looks like this at that point

then loosein the sprokets and the cam girdles.

and remove the cam

then reinstall the cam sliding in the sproket first and drop it in the mains and tighten the mains down evenly!!!! torque to 10nm in a cross patteren.
torque the sproket bolts to 40nm plus 90 degres. NOTE: the intake cam bolt to sproket in the 96-98 cobra cams is a m12x1.5 and the Mach1 is a m10x1.5
F*CK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
well thats the end of the work on the drivers side for now on to the pass side
Remove the throttle body (for clearance) the left side heater core hose and the fuel line going over the valve cover once the cover is off fallow the same procedure as above.

so now I have to find a bolt and all the Ford stores are closed so it wont be done this weekend.... so much for my weekend install

Last edited by watman02; 03-19-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:33 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

I had a set and sold them....ain't doing it myself and it's costly to pay a shop to do it. You either have more mechanical skills than some of us, or you have some serious moxey doing a cam install. From what I've read a million times over from people knowing a good amount on the subject the cams should be advanced 6 degrees to not lose any low end power. Good luck with it and look forward to hearing some feedback.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:46 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

as for ability I was a master BMW tech for 7 years so dual over head cam engines are nothing when there is no VANOS attached to them or (variable valve timing adjusters)
and the cams are key wayed so thats simple. as for degreeing them I thought about it but then I would have to buy different sprokets and Im cheap, thats why im doing it my self I dont have the bank roll some of you guys have lol
Old 03-19-2011, 10:01 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by watman02
as for ability I was a master BMW tech for 7 years so dual over head cam engines are nothing when there is no VANOS attached to them or (variable valve timing adjusters)
and the cams are key wayed so thats simple. as for degreeing them I thought about it but then I would have to buy different sprokets and Im cheap, thats why im doing it my self I dont have the bank roll some of you guys have lol
ah, must be nice to know what the heck you're doing. If I had the bank roll you're speaking of I'd still have those cams. Wouldn't even have LTs if I didn't get them used 1/2 price. I hear ya though, there's nothing like making the most of what you have.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:08 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

well Id like to have some of those et times your running.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

well Id like to have some of those et times your running.
top-notch sticky track at low elevation + sea level / below sea level DAs + lots of trial and error driving practice = great ET/mph

I humbly admit I account for 1/3 of the equation
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 PM
watman02
2nd Gear Member

lol you humbly admit huh???? nice
Old 03-20-2011, 09:26 AM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

lol you humbly admit huh???? nice
lol, yeah man. When we accomplish anything in life it has come with some help. Some guys have to run at high elevations or on sucky tracks so I feel blessed.

Quick Reply: my plan for the week end!!!