Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Need Clutch opinions/recommendations!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:56 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Question Need Clutch opinions/recommendations!

So the stock clutch in my Mach1 is on its way (and by on its way I mean its about shot) and I have got to replace it. I saw one thread that didn't seem to offer a whole lot of help on the subject other than just get a new stocker.

Other than the stock one, does anybody have any recommendations? and if I did get an aftermarket clutch would I need to get new cables, quad adj., and all that jazz (the reviews I've read on AmericanMuscle say its darn near necessary)? I saw a thread a couple weeks ago that said the opposite (but I cannot for the life of me find that thread again)

That also leads to the question of do I need to get a new fly wheel or will getting the old one resurfaced work? I am absolutely lost on clutches/transmission things

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 PM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

Funny you ask this because I was coming on here to see the same exact answer. Haven't been on in a long time but still have the mach and I am also in dire need of a clutch.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:50 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by machracer11
So the stock clutch in my Mach1 is on its way (and by on its way I mean its about shot) and I have got to replace it. I saw one thread that didn't seem to offer a whole lot of help on the subject other than just get a new stocker.

Other than the stock one, does anybody have any recommendations? and if I did get an aftermarket clutch would I need to get new cables, quad adj., and all that jazz (the reviews I've read on AmericanMuscle say its darn near necessary)? I saw a thread a couple weeks ago that said the opposite (but I cannot for the life of me find that thread again)

That also leads to the question of do I need to get a new fly wheel or will getting the old one resurfaced work? I am absolutely lost on clutches/transmission things

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
That is a very good question and one we hear a lot.

First, I will tackle the extras. The quadrant/cable and adjuster are GREAT if you want to take an aftermarket clutch and have it engage the same as your factory clutch did. That is, you have complete adjust-ability of where in the pedal travel it will engage and how quickly it releases. They are not required, but definitely recommended and something that will make you more pleased with the whole installation.

As for clutches and flywheels and what needs replaced and what doesn't. The flywheel DOES NOT have to be replaced if it can be resurfaced and has enough material to be resurfaced. However, just like the quadrant/cable/adjuster, if you get a new one, you can install your new clutch and new flywheel with the confidence of knowing they are both brand new and surfaced properly to mate perfectly.

As for what clutch to recommend, what do you do with the car and what modifications are done/how much power is it making?
Old 07-13-2011, 07:52 PM
rygi23
4th Gear Member

Looks like AMStanger answered the question. It just so happens I have a brand new (still in the box) Spec Stage 2+ clutch w/ a new ford throw out bearing if one of you guys are interested. I asked for recommendations a while back in case the stocker ever went out and this one was mentioned a few times so I ordered it from AM. It pretty much says in the paperword for it that resurfacing the flywheel is absolutly required. If anyone's interested just send me a PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:05 AM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

I bought a UPR Triple hook quadrant and firewall adjustable cable awhile back but found it pointless to install with out a new clutch. I do not have the resources to install a clutch myself so should I take that to the shop as well with the clutch install?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 03:21 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by guitar00dude
I bought a UPR Triple hook quadrant and firewall adjustable cable awhile back but found it pointless to install with out a new clutch. I do not have the resources to install a clutch myself so should I take that to the shop as well with the clutch install?

Thanks!
Yea, I would definitely have them install that stuff at the same time.

It will make the entire installation more satisfying in the long run and you won't have to have the car down for another day more than it needs to be!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:05 AM
guitar00dude
1st Gear Member

Thanks Chris! I also want to thank you and your team for being my go-to place for mustang parts. I am about 20 mintues away from your HQ. I receive everything next day and the quality is top notch. Just ordered two tires Wednesday afternoon and had them mounted last night. Please keep up the incredible service!
Old 07-15-2011, 02:24 PM
AMDanBailer
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by guitar00dude
Thanks Chris! I also want to thank you and your team for being my go-to place for mustang parts. I am about 20 mintues away from your HQ. I receive everything next day and the quality is top notch. Just ordered two tires Wednesday afternoon and had them mounted last night. Please keep up the incredible service!
Thanks for the kind words, Ken!

Will do!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

Chris you just answered all of my questions, now just gotta order the stuff