Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Are Mach 1's really worth it?

Old 01-20-2012, 07:27 PM
sixstringmayhem13
1st Gear Member

Default Are Mach 1's really worth it?

Hey guys,
Ever since I got my 2004 v6 about 3 years ago I've completely fallen in love with mustangs, as I'm sure everyone on here understands. Well i've done a few cosmetic mods to my sixer along with true dual flowmasters and a bbk CAI.
I don't want to bash my own ride but I'm ready for something with some power.
I have around 130,000 miles on it and i could prob get about 4G for the car now.

I work part time at a detail shop and i make just about $11 an hour, and juggle that with college. I figure if i save up for about a year i can probably pull together about $6000, and maybe save up until i have around 8G.

I've never actually driven a 99-04 GT or a mach 1.
What im asking is dishing out the extra $4000-$5000 for a mach really worth it?
What are the main differences between a mach and a GT other than difference in engine size and that its a DOHC engine. I've heard it has better suspension?

I've been doing a bit of research on the mach 1's and im completely drawn towards them. I thought i just wanted a GT until i read up the differences in HP, the 32v DOHC engine, and obviously the cosmetic differences.

So i guess my questions are
1) What makes a Mach a better purchase than a GT? (not bashing GT's)
2)could i get a Mach with between 20-50k miles for $12G?
3)how hard is it to find the mach your looking for?

Heres a few pics of my current mustang.

Thanks!

Old 01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I'll bite:

So i guess my questions are
1) What makes a Mach a better purchase than a GT? (not bashing GT's)
More rare, more power, better suspension, better seats oh and the FUNCTIONAL shaker.

2)could i get a Mach with between 20-50k miles for $12G?
Possibly, but not likely. You would have to bump up to $16K and you can find one easier.

3)how hard is it to find the mach your looking for?
What? Search autotrader, craigslist, www.mach1registry.com, www.svtperformance.com

I've owned an 04 GT then picked up my 03 mach, it's a different animal. It rides more solid, it pulls harder. Had I known what the Mach 1 can deliver, I would have got into the Mach from the start.

Knowing you have a V6....it will be hands down, without a doubt a HUGE improvement. With full exhaust, or at least a midpipe and catback with a tune and it's easy to be over 300 rwhp. Add longtubes to that and you may be around 315-320 rwhp.
Old 01-20-2012, 08:19 PM
sixstringmayhem13
1st Gear Member

Sold!

lol that's what i've heard from everyone who has switched from a GT to a mach that there's a huge improvement.
Would it be worth getting a mach 1 with between 50-70 thousand miles for a lower price? or would it be more with getting a lower mileage one dishing out a bit more cash?
I want to buy it relatively stock, biggests mods being maybe a CAI, but i want to do the rest.

Also this might be a dumb question but there are a TON of 350z's in orlando where i live and they all have the BIGGEST ego's when it comes to their cars.
I want to beat them all the time and everytime. I have them try to race my v6 constantly and its like "great job man you just beat a car with 190hp....".
im sure i could beef up my six to get to their level but meh..
Old 01-20-2012, 09:02 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sixstringmayhem13
Sold!

lol that's what i've heard from everyone who has switched from a GT to a mach that there's a huge improvement.
Would it be worth getting a mach 1 with between 50-70 thousand miles for a lower price? or would it be more with getting a lower mileage one dishing out a bit more cash?
I want to buy it relatively stock, biggests mods being maybe a CAI, but i want to do the rest.

Also this might be a dumb question but there are a TON of 350z's in orlando where i live and they all have the BIGGEST ego's when it comes to their cars.
I want to beat them all the time and everytime. I have them try to race my v6 constantly and its like "great job man you just beat a car with 190hp....".
im sure i could beef up my six to get to their level but meh..

not worth it. If you want to have fun, throw a 03/04 cobra motor in your V6, but leave all exterior the same as a V6. Pay insurance of a V6 and power of a V8.

I DD my car so a Mach was a perfect fit. It combines a cobra and a GT in one and I still drive it in the winter. I'm sure you can drive a cobra in the winter, but I wouldn't want to.

Mach with full exhaust, 4.10 gears, short throw shifter, and a tune and you can have some fun with those **** talkers.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:06 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

If you have a little money go with the GT. If you have a little more money go with the Mach. If you have a bunch of money buy a Cobra...
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 PM
60_Pilot

First, I've had a Mach 1 before and absolutely loved it! GTs are great, but the overall package that a Mach 1 brings to the table becomes a one-sided comparison.

I'd recommend to save as much as you can for college so you can purchase the nice Mach 1 of your dreams down the road.

Whether you take the advise or not, don't settle for a low priced Mach 1 that could cost much more in maintenance shortly down the road. A few extra thousand up front can save you much more down the road.

Good Luck!
Old 01-20-2012, 09:39 PM
sixstringmayhem13
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the advise guys.
Since i do plan on keeping the car for at least 5 to 10 years I figure if im going to save up for a car, might as well go big or go home. A cobra is out of the question but a mach 1 is reasonably priced and i can't deny i haven't heard one bad thing about them.
I'm pretty set on the whole mach 1 idea.

Since i need a DD car, throwing a v8 into my v6 isnt really an option.
although that would be extremely fun, its just not something i can do.

And i think buying one with the least amount of miles is probably better off like you said, might as well dish out a few extra thousand rather than have problems in the long run.
Even though this is probably going to take at least a year and a half to happen im stoked!
Thanks for the advise guys!
Old 01-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Dave19525
2nd Gear Member

I am very pleased with my Mach1. I am shocked at how much better it performs than my GT did. Finding a good deal on one is tough. Since they only made them for two years they are harder to find than the Cobras. I would think a 96-98 Cobra would work for you too but I don't like the interior as well. The 99 and 01 Cobras can be had for about the same price too. The Termis are still quite a bit more. Good luck in your search. If you go for a Mach1 you wil not be disappointed.
Old 01-23-2012, 01:04 AM
sixstringmayhem13
1st Gear Member

Thanks!
i do prefer the new edge body style and interior over the previous models, so I can't see a better fit than a mach.
My biggest challenge is probably going to be finding a mach thats actually stock (if they even exist...).
Pretty much any person with a mach 1 is bound to mod it one way or another.
CRAP!
Old 01-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Mach1man
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by sixstringmayhem13
Thanks!
i do prefer the new edge body style and interior over the previous models, so I can't see a better fit than a mach.
My biggest challenge is probably going to be finding a mach thats actually stock (if they even exist...).
Pretty much any person with a mach 1 is bound to mod it one way or another.
CRAP!
Oh there are plenty of stock, or mildly modded Mach 1's out there for a reasonable price. You might want to join http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/index.php, where you can find all the pertinent information about the cars, along with connections to people selling cars and parts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Are Mach 1's really worth it?