Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

new to mustangs: clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM
slayer performance

Default new to mustangs: clutch question

my girlfriend has a 04 mustang gt with a complete mach 1 swap (engine&trans). i had the trans rebuilt due to 3rd gear syncro going out. since the first time i grove the car i noticed the clutch was way to hard to push down, it doesnt seem to slip though. its just a king cobra clutch so it has stock clutch springs. i am not familar with cable clutches, so i am curious what to look for as i put it back together, im installing a ram clutch with the rebuilt trans. any ideas are welcome.
Old 04-15-2012, 03:47 PM
dmostz

I've only done a clutch in my skittle and older civic, so correct me if I'm wrong but I make sure everything is lined up. How new is the king cobra? and is it an easy street-able clutch or for bigger torque than stock? make sure everything is tightened to spec, use the alignment tool and someone else will chime in about the cable part I'm sure. If nothing else, take it to a shop that you trust.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:29 PM
p1mach

I recently installed a ram hdx clutch on my 2004 mach 1 and the pedal was very stiff for a little over a week, and its my daily driver. Also the clutch engagement point was extremely low so it made smooth shifting impossible, but after a 300-500 mile break in there's a noticible improvement. I've now had the clutch for 3 months and I like it. Its a sturdy clutch so far.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:42 PM
budders
4th Gear Member

I have heard from many people on these forums that mustang transmissions have the heaviest stock clutch that exists.. literally. its not a hydro clutch either so that dosnt help.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
USMCrebel
Mach I Section Moderator

That clutch is difficult to shift with at first, but as the others have said make sure everything is aligned correctly...our clutches are a pita for someone who is used to hydro clutches...the king cobra and RAM lines are more or less on/off when you are driving not really much slip in them.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:19 PM
Repzard
4th Gear Member

I just did a KC clutch in my Cobra and its easy as butter to push and hold like crazy after break in.
My old clutch was stock and it was hard as a rock and very noisy on top of it.

What I think happens,over time the grease on the TB shaft wears off causing more friction (metal to metal) and causes the stiffer pedal.

Some clutch do have stiffer P Plates but the KC is for sure less pedal effort than the stock clutch new.

One thing you can try is take the cable cover off if you have small hands you could put a VERY THIN COAT of grease on TB shaft may help pedal effort.

But I repeat very thin.you do not want grease to splatter on the disk.

My 2

Good Luck

Last edited by Repzard; 05-09-2012 at 11:22 PM.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:06 PM
slayer performance

was the same with all the new parts so i replaced the clutch cable and that fixed it!