Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

Some questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 12:39 AM
97-MStang

Default Some questions

Hi I have been doing some research on different cars, I will probably be buying in year...I have some questions on the mach 1 mustang

1. I know the car has a live rear axle, but how is the handling compared to a corvette c5...how much would it cost to make it handle like a c5(or better)
2. I know there are paint issues with mustangs buit in jun 03, and thin ford paint for all years. Are the paint issues(other than jun 03) based on color. I haven't seen any threads on bad paint on azure blues. Would sealants help protect the paint from premature wear.

Thanks guys
Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM
97-MStang

I just want to add that I read the mach 1 FAQ, and I understand the modifications, and just wanted a comparison between the c5 and mach, and which is the best way to mod the live rear axle.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:56 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Lightbulb

A C5 Corvette is not comparable to a 2003-2004 Mach 1.

Handling is subjective.

On the street at posted speed limits, you won't get to either stock car's handling limits or even the point where you can appreciate any modifications to a stock car.

A Mach 1 will never handle "like" a C5 simply because the chassis/unibody architecture and suspension geometry is completely different as is the F/R weight balance.

Can you make a Mach 1 beat a stock C5 at Willow Springs International Raceway? Sure, if you throw enough money at it. Would you want to drive that car on thew street? Probably not.

Can you figure out the best handling modifications by asking people you don't know online? Good luck.

If you want to improve a Mach 1's handling, do what I did. Ask an expert. What's an expert? Not somebody who works at Saleen, or Maximum Motorsports or and vendor. Find an experienced driver somebody who tracks a Mach 1 and ask him.

Back in 2004, I met a Mach 1 owner with a ton of SCCA track time, races and wins. He was also a driving instructor at the driving school run by Ferrari of North America. I copied the modifications hew made to his Mach 1 EXACTLY. According to him, these are the most cost effective handling mods for a street driven Mach 1. You'll have to spend way more to get a small improvement over this set up:

Full length weld-on Maximum Motorsports subframe connectors.

H&R SuperSport Springs F/R.

Tockico Illumina 5-Way Adjustable shocks and struts set 5 front and 3 rear.

Maximum Motorsports adjustable rear Lower Control Arms.

Maximum Motorsports Camber Caster plates (others are crap). Align to MM's street recommendations - make sure you install the CC plates the correct way.

Stock size 8" X 17" 245/45 front wheel tire combination with STOCK OFFSET (no oooh lookit that deep dish nonsense)

9 1/2' X 17" 275/40 rear wheel tire combination. I don't remember the offset and I'm not going to pull a wheel right now, but the rear offset is not critical for handling because of the live rear axle. My wheels and tires fill out the rear fenders and most guys think I'm running 315s on 10 1/2" wheels

245/45s and 275/40s provide a good handling balance for the above suspension set up. If you go to 315s on the rear or drag skinnies on the front, you'll screw things up. And, if you put a 275/40 on a 8" stock wheel, it ain't the same. We're talking about making a Mach 1 handle better on the street, not about how much tire you can stuff under the rear fenders or making your car look like a refugee from Pinks.

Be aware your Mach 1 is now significantly lower than stock. There will be 3.5" clearance between the bottom of the subframe connectors and the asphalt. You'll have to cross some driveways at an angle and slow way down for water drains when crossing intersections. Buy a spare chin spoiler.

With the above modifications, the Mach 1 is much more tossable with lower levels of under steer below the limits of adhesion and controllable power-on over steer. You can steer the car with your right foot.

If you want to spend more money on a Mach 1 to improve handling, by a C5.

At this point, stop spending money on your car. If you want your Mach 1 to handle better, go to Bondurant or Barber and learn to drive.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 04-01-2013 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:20 PM
4vmach1

imo sra should be used for drag... swap over a irs from a 03/04 cobra if you want corner improvement.. other then that I'm not a big fan of mustangs and autocross. I like to cruise them around & just go straight when needed. Honestly euro is the way to go if you want to compare it to a c5 or better.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:02 PM
97-MStang

Ok thanks guys, I am looking for a fun car that can be used for everything(drag,autocross...). I don't necesarily need a car that handles like a c5, so I will still consider a mach 1 mustang.

do you guys know anything about the paint question?

Thanks for your help
Old 04-02-2013, 09:40 PM
4vmach1

Originally Posted by 97-MStang
Ok thanks guys, I am looking for a fun car that can be used for everything(drag,autocross...). I don't necesarily need a car that handles like a c5, so I will still consider a mach 1 mustang.

Thanks for your help
Never heard of the paint issue to be honest.
Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Thanks for your help
You don't care if you can make a Mach 1 handle like a C5?

"1. I know the car has a live rear axle, but how is the handling compared to a corvette c5...how much would it cost to make it handle like a c5(or better)"

You want it to drag, autocross....? I'm pretty sure you have no idea whatsoever about what it takes to set up a car for either event.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:00 PM
97-MStang

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
You don't care if you can make a Mach 1 handle like a C5?

"1. I know the car has a live rear axle, but how is the handling compared to a corvette c5...how much would it cost to make it handle like a c5(or better)"

You want it to drag, autocross....? I'm pretty sure you have no idea whatsoever about what it takes to set up a car for either event.
I understand I asked that question, but after some thought I realized I don't necessarily need a car that handles like a c5(see previous post I said I would still consider a mach 1).

I understand it takes a lot of time and different mods to set a car up for either event, but I would like to try both and see which event I like, and set the car up for it.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:39 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

I understand I asked that question, but after some thought I realized I don't necessarily need a car that handles like a c5(see previous post I said I would still consider a mach 1).

I understand it takes a lot of time and different mods to set a car up for either event, but I would like to try both and see which event I like, and set the car up for it.
Do you have a driver's license?
Old 04-03-2013, 11:04 PM
CaptainRon
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
Do you have a driver's license?

I might add something else here too.............

mach 1 vs c5 corvette? what does it matter? it has 4 wheels and it gets you from A to B just like any other transportation

Quick Reply: Some questions