Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

warm shift knob

Old 05-11-2013, 12:18 AM
austin3565

Default warm shift ****

hey guys earlier I was driving my car and went in the house for about 15 min and came back out to leave again and noticed when grabbing my shift **** it was warm not hot but a lil warm. is this normal?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:11 AM
derboesekoenig
1st Gear Member

Was it sitting out in the sun?
Old 05-11-2013, 07:39 AM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I keep a microfiber in the center counsol and drape it over the **** on hot days. At times the **** will get so hot you can barely touch it.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 AM
austin3565

I live in washington state theres no such thing as the sun, but No it wasn't in the sun it was under a metal awning. Iv noticed it before while driving but thought it was from the body heat of my palm. Like I said before its just warm not hot
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

The transmission gets hot and the aluminum shift ball conducts heat, especially if you have an aftermarket shifter without rubber insulators between the shift lever and transmission.

You have sun even in Washington and it heats your car's cockpit. Driving around, the sun gradually warms everything in the cockpit including you. Park the car, go inside for 15 minutes and you will cool off more rapidly that you car sitting under an awning. (Plus the hot engine and hot transmission are still heat soaking the entire car as well as the shift ****).

Get back in the car, and it is warmer than you.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom V
Yes, I keep a microfiber in the center counsol and drape it over the **** on hot days. At times the **** will get so hot you can barely touch it.
You're exaggerating. I've made it through 125F+ both Palm Springs and Death Valley in August without covering my shift ****.

I parked with both windows open 1/2" and used my Clifford/Viper alarm to roll down both windows as I approached the car.

If the shift **** got really hot, Ford would have been sued by now ( hint, hint) and would have affixed a McDonald's coffee style heat warning label to our dashboards.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
You're exaggerating. I've made it through 125F+ both Palm Springs and Death Valley in August without covering my shift ****.

I parked with both windows open 1/2" and used my Clifford/Viper alarm to roll down both windows as I approached the car.

If the shift **** got really hot, Ford would have been sued by now ( hint, hint) and would have affixed a McDonald's coffee style heat warning label to our dashboards.
WARNING!! LUKEWARM TEMPERATURE!!

This Ford vehicle is equipped with a bare aluminum shift **** that conducts and retains more heat than a leather or vinyl counterpart.

It, along with several other unique components are part of a Heritage Package designed to evoke the Mach 1s of the late 1960s and early 1970s - back when performance cars were loud, angry and hot and men didn't exfoliate.

Some of today's men may not be able to adapt to certain traits of this vehicle designed to appeal to men in the last century. If a warm shift ****, louder exhaust or harsher ride causes you concern, or watching the Shaker shake while driving instills feelings of hopelessness or suicide, please have your girlfriend or wife drive you to the nearest Lincoln dealer where you can trade in your Mach 1 for something less stressful.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:03 PM
Tom V
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Sonic Mustang
You're exaggerating.
I've always been cool with you so why are you screwing with me? I'm telling you, I climb into the car on a hot day and can barely touch the ^#*%ing shift ****. I like the **** and was trying to give the op a simple solution how to deal with it.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:37 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom V
I've always been cool with you so why are you screwing with me? I'm telling you, I climb into the car on a hot day and can barely touch the ^#*%ing shift ****. I like the **** and was trying to give the op a simple solution how to deal with it.
You're no fun at all. I must have missed the hot **** TSB.

Besides, your advice on how to "deal with it" has nothing to do with the OP's question:

Why is my gear shift **** warm(er) after driving in "no sun" Washington and parking in the shade for 15 minutes.?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:15 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

Yes the shifter conducts heat from tranny very easily and gets warm after driving. Mine gets warm after some extended driving in warmer weather. Its worse if you have an aftermarket shifter and or **** that isnt cloth/leather covered.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: warm shift knob