Mach 1 Section This section is for discussions relating to the reincarnation of the Mach 1 trimline.

TMI replacement Mach 1 seat covers/upholstery

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 05:34 PM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

Default TMI replacement Mach 1 seat covers/upholstery

Does anyone have any experience with/opinions about these? The condition of my drivers is not good and is ever so slowly getting worse and it is driving me nuts, and seems as if quite a few others are experiencing the same issue.

I'd love to replace it with an original from a wreck or take-off but they're nearly impossible to find.

$450 for vinyl, $900 for leather.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...eat-Upholstery

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...eat-Upholstery
Old 05-17-2013, 07:31 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

The TMI upholstery is not an exact match for OEM. TMI was not able to find an exact match for the Comfort weave pattern. You will not find a silver stripe option for ther seat back, either.

Essentially, you'd have to replace the perfect passenger seat, too.

When my car was under warranty, I noticed the driver's outside seat bottom bolster was starting to collapse. I read of many Mach owners having the same problem. Since I knew the dealer principal, filing a warranty claim was no problem.

When the warranty replacement seat bottom (foam) came in, I took it to the upholstery shop the dealer used. I had the guys copy the replacement foam using the FIRMEST foam they had in stock. Eight years later, that bolster has retained its perfect shape.

If the foam retains its shape, the leather will flex and crack less. My leather seat cover is just now starting to show some very faint creasing.

I don't know how bad you driver's sweat covers are, but I'd seriously think about copying your passenger seat in firm foam and having a local upholsterer fix your original covers. I've seen some amazing restorations done by local shops.

Last edited by Sonic Mustang; 05-17-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:30 AM
mestit3
2nd Gear Member

I took your advice and went to a well known local shop that specializes in car and boat interiors. I saw some examples of their work and they seemed confident that they could make it look very close to original.

They quoted me $340, which is more than worth it to me if it turns out as good as they say it will. I plan on buying the replacement foam too while I'm at it, but I'll have to wait a while as I just spent a ton of money and my new job doesn't start for another week.

Once I finally do get it done I will post some before/after photos.
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by mestit3
I took your advice and went to a well known local shop that specializes in car and boat interiors. I saw some examples of their work and they seemed confident that they could make it look very close to original.

They quoted me $340, which is more than worth it to me if it turns out as good as they say it will. I plan on buying the replacement foam too while I'm at it, but I'll have to wait a while as I just spent a ton of money and my new job doesn't start for another week.

Once I finally do get it done I will post some before/after photos.
A note on the foam:

I seem to recall in my conversation with TMI that their Mach 1 foam is not an exact match for OEM. I may be wrong on this but double check.

Again, my advice is to have your shop copy the passenger seat foam using FIRMER material. That way, your seat covers will stay newer longer and the damn soft foam bolsters won't collapse.
Old 09-29-2013, 07:27 AM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

My seats got slashed a while back and had the shop order these for the front, I will admit they are pretty close, and I liked it. And the shop I went to said they didn't need the foam from TMI
Old 09-29-2013, 07:30 AM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

Let's see if it will upload from my ipad
Attached Thumbnails TMI replacement Mach 1 seat covers/upholstery-image.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 07:33 AM
Nel86
1st Gear Member

The flash makes them look more gray
Attached Thumbnails TMI replacement Mach 1 seat covers/upholstery-image.jpg  
Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by Nel86
My seats got slashed a while back and had the shop order these for the front, I will admit they are pretty close, and I liked it. And the shop I went to said they didn't need the foam from TMI
Any good upholstery shop can duplicate the foam. When my Mach 1 driver's seat foam started to collapse (seat bottom,outside bolster), my dealer got a warranty replacement and sent me to the upholstery shop they work with.

Since the original foam lasted all of six months, I had the shop duplicate the replacement in the firmest foam they had in stock. I watched one of the guys carve the required shape out of several pieces of foam block in less than an hour. Eight years later, my driver's seat bottom is in perfect shape with no creases in the foam.