Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Mass Chit-Chat

Old 05-31-2013, 09:14 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grim
Just saw this posted on AFM. Will definitely be researching/testing this stuff out. Most likely on the entirety of the hood, though.

3Mâ„¢ Paint Defender Spray Film: Full How-to Application - YouTube
How is that any different than clear plastidip? Looks the same to me especially their removal video.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:57 PM
Grim
1st Gear Member

That's probably exactly what it is. But I believe clear Plasti Dip has a tendency to yellow quickly from UV damage unless you use the UV protectant. And that can only be bought by the gallon, and you have to use a spray gun. This looks like a reasonable alternative.
Old 05-31-2013, 09:59 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Grim
That's probably exactly what it is. But I believe clear Plasti Dip has a tendency to yellow quickly from UV damage unless you use the UV protectant. And that can only be bought by the gallon, and you have to use a spray gun. This looks like a reasonable alternative.
Ahhhhh ok, I was gonna say it wouldn't be the first time someone rebranded plastidip, like the "Armor-All Custom Shield" is literally a slightly bigger can of black plastidip at double the price lol.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

Now I will preface this post with I know I should NEVER buy parts from Autozone.

But I needed a tensioner arm ASAP, and I figured for $35 I'll be fine, seemed as well made as OEM... But boy was I wrong!

Can anyone tell me what's missing in this picture?
Name:  IMG_20130601_172815.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  94.6 KB

If you answered the other half of the tensioner you are correct! I was driving down the highway, gave her a little gas and SNAP! I hear rumbling and notice the power steering is gone. Luckily I was able to pull off the highway onto a side street and park before the temp gauge hit red.

Another bit of good luck is I had the old tensioner and all my tools in the car from the other day when I swapped em in the first place, and I will say doing it in the heat in business casual wear with a very hot engine it wasn't pleasant.

To make matters worse the belt which was starting to fray is now missing a rib, but that'll be changed come tomorrow. Atleast I made it home safe and the cars in the driveway, now I need to find another tensioner, my OEM one clicks and bounces around so idk how much longer that will last.

Sorry I just needed to vent.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:40 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

That is just pathetic...I'd be seriously hacked off.

Glad you at least didn't get stuck by the roadside for hours.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:44 PM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
That is just pathetic...I'd be seriously hacked off.

Glad you at least didn't get stuck by the roadside for hours.
Oh don't get me wrong I'm pissed, not even 48 hours and maybe 20-25 miles of driving and it snapped clean off. I'm just glad I was prepared.
Old 06-01-2013, 06:57 PM
CaptainStr8edge
1st Gear Member

thats a nice one! my lower front grille fell off today while waiting for a red light... moved forward and heard a scraping sound. I thought an exhaust clamp had broken or something but nope, I was running over the grille. Luckily it wasnt too badly damaged and I was able to put it back on when I got home. Made double sure it was secure.
Old 06-02-2013, 04:40 AM
RJDavis413
1st Gear Member

So I'm going on a little road trip to Newton today :P
Old 06-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by RJDavis413
So I'm going on a little road trip to Newton today :P
Nobody get excited...He's doing it in a Subaru
Old 06-02-2013, 09:24 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by CaptainStr8edge
thats a nice one! my lower front grille fell off today while waiting for a red light... moved forward and heard a scraping sound. I thought an exhaust clamp had broken or something but nope, I was running over the grille. Luckily it wasnt too badly damaged and I was able to put it back on when I got home. Made double sure it was secure.
Aftermarket billet grille? (Hard to understand how the factory plastic one could "fall off", those things are a pain in the butt to remove when you want them off...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mass Chit-Chat