Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Mass Chit-Chat

Old 07-03-2013, 04:23 PM
busguy

Busguy here! My first Mustang was a new 1967 Red GT automatic comvertible in 1967. Last August I found this 2005 Red GT 5 speed convertible in CT with only 9,334 miles on it. I bought it. Love the car but I had asked on this forum if anyone else had the problem of the engine not coming all the way back down to idle when you take your foot off of the throttle. It comes off of the throttle but you can count to 4 and then you feel & hear it go to idle. I had a private shop look at it before I put it away for the winter and he found nothing wrong. I brought it to Hampton Ford last month and they said that it was the throttle body. I said put a new one on which they did for $571.98. That didn't change a thing. I brought it back and they put their computers on it and said that everything is fine. Well, I've always liked to shift down to have the engine slow me down without using the brakes, how can you do that if it takes 4 seconds to come down to idle? Does anyone know how to fix this thing. I love the car, hate this problem!!
Old 07-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by busguy
Busguy here! My first Mustang was a new 1967 Red GT automatic comvertible in 1967. Last August I found this 2005 Red GT 5 speed convertible in CT with only 9,334 miles on it. I bought it. Love the car but I had asked on this forum if anyone else had the problem of the engine not coming all the way back down to idle when you take your foot off of the throttle. It comes off of the throttle but you can count to 4 and then you feel & hear it go to idle. I had a private shop look at it before I put it away for the winter and he found nothing wrong. I brought it to Hampton Ford last month and they said that it was the throttle body. I said put a new one on which they did for $571.98. That didn't change a thing. I brought it back and they put their computers on it and said that everything is fine. Well, I've always liked to shift down to have the engine slow me down without using the brakes, how can you do that if it takes 4 seconds to come down to idle? Does anyone know how to fix this thing. I love the car, hate this problem!!
Welcome!

That slow drop on the throttle is built into the factory tune unfortunately. An aftermarket tune can remove that "float".
Old 07-04-2013, 02:50 PM
busguy

Default Aftermarket Tune!

Thanks Torch_Vert, but who does that type of "Tune" and where?
Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Thanks Torch_Vert, but who does that type of "Tune" and where?
Any decent dyno shop can fix you up with a tune (make sure to mention your concern about the slow drop in RPMs)

The ones the seem most popular for the Mustang guys around here are Performance Dyno up in Loudon,NH and Dez Racing in Seekonk, MA

Places like American Muscle also have generic "canned" tunes for the general model/engine of your car (the previous two places do a custom tune for YOUR exact car).

Just be aware either way this isn't "cheap". You need to buy an electronic tuner to tweak these cars, so figure $400+

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 07-04-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 03:50 PM
CaptainStr8edge
1st Gear Member

Its fine, why does it need to go down to idle to down shift? If anything having the higher rpm is better for it. Just downshift like normal and you will be fine. I on the other hand prefer using the brakes as they are much easier to replace than the clutch. Not to say that I never do it, I only do it when I have the windows down and I can hear that amazing sound it makes when you do it.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Holy ****, did they include lube with that price?

THIS, is why we never take our car to the dealer my friend. For that price you could of bought an intake and tune package!
Old 07-05-2013, 10:47 PM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

soooooooo exhaust question lol. put in a pypes off road x pipe and had my pypes pype bombs on. thing was wicked loud but also trumpeted like crazy at 2000 rpm. got sick of it after 2 days so i put the stock mufflers on. now i sound like a ricer at like 3000 rpm lol but its better than WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH so..... but anyway. whats the cheapest way to get a good sound out of my new exhuast? still stock headers still have the pype bombs. guy at a an exhaust shop said they could weld on some resonators for like 200 bucks. i want to know if i should just do some sort of muffle combo or what not... id rather not have to spend 500 bucks on a new axle back system if i could just buy some mufflers or something and mid pipe them. would that be cheaper if i could just put the pype bombs back on too?
Old 07-06-2013, 06:09 AM
busguy

Ya, they lubed me alright!! LOL. When I was younger and didn't have a pacemaker, I'd do all my own stuff. I'm 69 now and need to have other people who I thought would know what they're doing! I just got a call back from the owner of Hampton Ford and he SAID that he'd look into it. I'm not that far from Loudon, NH so I'll check with Performance Dyno to see what they think! I have my Goldwing serviced at Venco Wing in Loudon, so I should be able to find PD!
Old 07-06-2013, 07:42 AM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by MuffinSpecial
soooooooo exhaust question lol. put in a pypes off road x pipe and had my pypes pype bombs on. thing was wicked loud but also trumpeted like crazy at 2000 rpm. got sick of it after 2 days so i put the stock mufflers on. now i sound like a ricer at like 3000 rpm lol but its better than WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH so..... but anyway. whats the cheapest way to get a good sound out of my new exhuast? still stock headers still have the pype bombs. guy at a an exhaust shop said they could weld on some resonators for like 200 bucks. i want to know if i should just do some sort of muffle combo or what not... id rather not have to spend 500 bucks on a new axle back system if i could just buy some mufflers or something and mid pipe them. would that be cheaper if i could just put the pype bombs back on too?
The Pypes Bomb is basically an open pipe with just a mild resonator to reduce popping (even according the their own website). They also make a mid-muffler system with actual straight pipes in the rear. Their third option in this series (and probably the best) is what they call the "super system" which combines the mid-mufflers with the pype bombs. Sounds pretty decent at least on video:

Maybe if you called them and explained you already have a Pype Bomb system, they'd sell you just the mufflered midpipe to upgrade it to the "super"?
Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 AM
MuffinSpecial
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
The Pypes Bomb is basically an open pipe with just a mild resonator to reduce popping (even according the their own website). They also make a mid-muffler system with actual straight pipes in the rear. Their third option in this series (and probably the best) is what they call the "super system" which combines the mid-mufflers with the pype bombs. Sounds pretty decent at least on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oJNHUkheKO4

Maybe if you called them and explained you already have a Pype Bomb system, they'd sell you just the mufflered midpipe to upgrade it to the "super"?
would that eliminate the trumpeting effect that my x pipe likes to make lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mass Chit-Chat