Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Dez Racing Experience..gear installs

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Grim
1st Gear Member

Wicked C.A.S. is near me, and when I asked about gear install, they said they contract it out to a local Mustang pro. I'm guessing that means they'll call ProTree. Everything I've read about ProTree doing gear installs is good. When my warranty is up and I plan on changing out the driveshaft and gears for 3.73's, I'll likely go with them.
Old 02-28-2013, 07:31 PM
Don's Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LMC13
There's a few things I've been thinking about doing. Some I can do myself, others I think would be better left for those with the right tools/experience. Here's some thoughts:
- 85 or 90mm throttle body. I know I can do this myself, but I'm not sure it's worth it.
- aluminum or carbon 1-piece drive shaft. I'm a bit concerned the shimming and alignment, so I think this is better left to pros.
- Maybe some headers.
- lowering springs. probably only 1". Again, concerned about alignment of rear end.
- Maybe watts link?

Also looking for just an all around good shop to review and evaluate where I am at and what else is worth it/reasonable to do. I'm definitely not looking into opening the engine or super charging (yet).
If you haven't bought a throttle body, I have a L&M 82 MM throttle body will sell real cheep, like 100 bucks, but to be honest it's not much of a improvement, so I don't know if I would bother

I have a alluminum driveshaft, it could be done on jackstands, but a lift would make it a lot easier, especially if the heavy stock 2 peice fell on your head. If you get one that needs shims, it's not the right one. Mines the DSS one and it's worth the price, and great company to deal with, no shims, just bolts in.

I had Anthony in wakefield auto repair install my driveshaft, when he was at another shop, after he started working in Wakefield, his partner John installed my struts, and shocks, they are both honest and do good work. I am pretty picky so I am sure you will be happy with them, plus Viking is in the same building, so you have two choices close to you
Old 03-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Dez Racing has been an excellent dealer for SW and we know first hand the do great work, A++ in our book!
Old 03-01-2013, 04:40 PM
LMC13
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Don's Stang
If you haven't bought a throttle body, I have a L&M 82 MM throttle body will sell real cheep, like 100 bucks, but to be honest it's not much of a improvement, so I don't know if I would bother

I have a alluminum driveshaft, it could be done on jackstands, but a lift would make it a lot easier, especially if the heavy stock 2 peice fell on your head. If you get one that needs shims, it's not the right one. Mines the DSS one and it's worth the price, and great company to deal with, no shims, just bolts in.
What's the standard throttle body? 70mm? I may take you up on the offer when it gets warmer out and I uncover the 'stang.

I've seen many different drive shaft posts in the forums. Most say if there's a gap of a certain amount, then no shimming necessary and then others say they had to. So, this is where I get really confused and prefer to use a shop who knows what they're doing and can guarantee their work. I guess sometimes that's the problem with so many forums. So many posts and different info it's information over load.

Is this the DSS one you got? They don't mention saving any weight. Is this just for better strength? I was hoping to save some weight too. Know any way to get a better price on it?

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...earance-issues
Old 03-02-2013, 06:17 AM
Don's Stang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by LMC13
What's the standard throttle body? 70mm? I may take you up on the offer when it gets warmer out and I uncover the 'stang.

I've seen many different drive shaft posts in the forums. Most say if there's a gap of a certain amount, then no shimming necessary and then others say they had to. So, this is where I get really confused and prefer to use a shop who knows what they're doing and can guarantee their work. I guess sometimes that's the problem with so many forums. So many posts and different info it's information over load.

Is this the DSS one you got? They don't mention saving any weight. Is this just for better strength? I was hoping to save some weight too. Know any way to get a better price on it?

http://www.driveshaftshop.com/domest...earance-issues

Yes I have the DSS drive shaft, and yes it is a tons lighter than the stock driveshaft. I bought mine from Lethal Performance, and right now they have it at $749 I think I bought mine during a christmas special, and was a little less. When I got mine it was to short, so I called up DSS they sent me another one which fit perfect. They told me 99% of the time they fit perfect, but every once in a while something like mine happens

He told me they won't use shims, there is some expansion of the CV joint, but if it exceeds that they will send a new one. Good thing to measure your car first, just to be sure.

I will asy Lethal Performance really didn't care I had a issue, DSS on the other hand was awesome and stand by there product
Old 03-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Michael Plummer

If you're looking to do business with a new shop, stop by for a visit and talk to the people that you'll be doing business with. If you like what you hear and see and you feel comfortable then move forward and get the work done.

Last edited by Michael Plummer; 12-21-2014 at 05:15 AM.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Michael Plummer
Dez Racing has been in business over 15 years. They're very competent when it pertains to engine mods and tuning. If you're looking to do business with a new shop, stop by for a visit and talk to the people that you'll be doing business with. If you like what you hear and see and you feel comfortable then move forward and get the work done.
This has to be some sort of record, first post, but a member of MF for 6+ years...that's some world class lurking
Old 03-20-2013, 01:48 PM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
This has to be some sort of record, first post, but a member of MF for 6+ years...that's some world class lurking
Just waiting for that post about Dez

Got a monster car in his sig though!
Old 03-21-2013, 12:53 PM
Stainless Works
Former Sponsor

Yup, Dez Racing is that good!
Old 03-21-2013, 08:13 PM
Michael Plummer

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
Forgot I signed up 6+ years ago (I spend most of my time on another Mustang web site) and I decided to check it out and the Massachusetts Chapter was the first place I visited. Now, you have the whole story but I hope the OP found a shop he was happy with.

Quick Reply: Dez Racing Experience..gear installs