Massachusetts Regional Chapter Chapter President: Torch_Vert

Failed Emissions inspection...advise?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2013, 09:35 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Default Failed Emissions inspection...advise?

Failed inspection today because the ON Board Diagnostic monitor showed the following:
Catalyst Moniter. Not Supported
Catalyst Heater Moniter. Not Supported
Evaporative System Moniter. Not Supported
Secondary air system Moniter. Not supported
AC system monitor. Not supported
02 Sensor Monitor. Not supported
02 Sensor heater Moniter. Not supported
Exhaust gas recirculation (egr) Moniter. Not supported

I was asked if I did anything to the PCM and I told him that I have a sct chip in it...he then said that must be why so many of he items say not supported and that I failed . I then sorta went off and told him that I have had the same chip in my car for years and never had a fail. After I got home I checked my last 4 inspection test and they all matched this failed test with the not supported crap. So I dunno y now they choose to fail me now..

Anywho. If I bring my PCM back to he stock tune do u think I will pass now?( I have the sct eliminator 4 bank chip which still contains the stock tune) Looks like ma is getting stricter..

Now I have to go to a MAC center before I can retest for further computer diagnostic testing...wtf? R thy gonna make me take out my sct chip?

Last edited by SyNdicateZ; 04-01-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:29 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

That sucks man.

I don't understand how it happened in years past though. Not doubting you, but its an OBDII test, so the person has 0 say in the matter. If the stuff isn't supported, you won't pass.

Are you running an O/R or high flow pipe now? I hate to say it, but because you're going to the MAC center, you'll prob have to be 100% stock in the midpipe department
Old 04-02-2013, 10:11 AM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
That sucks man.

I don't understand how it happened in years past though. Not doubting you, but its an OBDII test, so the person has 0 say in the matter. If the stuff isn't supported, you won't pass.

Are you running an O/R or high flow pipe now? I hate to say it, but because you're going to the MAC center, you'll prob have to be 100% stock in the midpipe department
I have a catted Mac hpipe.. And the cats have been recently replaced with new cats as well..
Old 04-02-2013, 11:54 AM
S197GT07
5th Gear Member

And you're on the same tune that you've used the previous years? Have you disconnected or replaced your battery recently?
Old 04-02-2013, 12:10 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Have the laws changed in MA? Cali changes them yearly almost so what passes once may not pass again the next time.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:11 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by S197GT07
And you're on the same tune that you've used the previous years? Have you disconnected or replaced your battery recently?
Yea same tune. Same exact mods since like 2007. I did change the battery in 2010 tho. I dunno, I'm just gonna run the car with the stock tune for a little while and then go to the MAC place for the tests....maybe my emissions will go back to readiness mode...
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
Have the laws changed in MA? Cali changes them yearly almost so what passes once may not pass again the next time.
I believe this is the case. They r now looking for "modified" PCM's... I hope those that have had their pcms flashed or chipped passes unlike me. Whatta pain in my ***.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Torch_Vert
5th Gear Member

I can probably give a little more insight. Pretty much the same thing happened to me last year...

This is how it was explained to me:

They tightened up the test about 2-3 years back to check for all factory monitors being on and in the "ready" state. Previously they only checked for system fault codes. Many aftermarket chips and tunes turn off some of these monitors (rear O2 being common) They will pass a car once with unset monitors, but it puts a flag in the state DEP system, and it won't pass the following year if any monitors don't show as in the "ready" state.

In my case it was easy enough to have my tuner whip up a tune to turn those monitors back on, drive the car a bit to allow the monitors to set, and then a spin through the (actually quite friendly) MAC center.

With yours, if the 4 bank contains the actual stock tune, I would think that should work.

Last edited by Torch_Vert; 04-02-2013 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:48 PM
SyNdicateZ
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Torch_Vert
I can probably give a little more insight. Pretty much the same thing happened to me last year...

This is how it was explained to me:

They tightened up the test about 2-3 years back to check for all factory monitors being on and in the "ready" state. Previously they only checked for system fault codes. Many aftermarket chips and tunes turn off some of these monitors (rear O2 being common) They will pass a car once with unset monitors, but it puts a flag in the state DEP system, and it won't pass the following year if any monitors don't show as in the "ready" state.

In my case it was easy enough to have my tuner whip up a tune to turn those monitors back on, drive the car a bit to allow the monitors to set, and then a spin through the (actually quite friendly) MAC center.

With yours, if the 4 bank contains the actual stock tune, I would think that should work.
So. I been in contact with my tuner Pete from performance dyno in NH. I will be headed up there saturday morning so he can adjust the tune to have the Moniters in ready mode so that I can pass the testing now and going foward.. Yay.

Thx everyone that gave their thoughts. This was all new to me at the beginning..
Learn new stuff everyday..
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 AM
chaoscentral
2nd Gear Member

I just got mine inspected a month or two back without issues, and its most definitely flashed. I did have an issue like yours last year though, and it was because the tune(bama) I had at the time had the rear o2s turned off in the tune and that screwed me when it came time to get the sticker(I have stock headers and mid pipe lol) No issues this year with Pete's tune.

Quick Reply: Failed Emissions inspection...advise?