Members Mustangs This section is for picture threads relating to members Mustangs. Please read the rules before posting!

1966 Vintage Burgundy GT Fastback

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 12:25 PM
garth66

Default 1966 Vintage Burgundy GT Fastback

This is my first car, purchased in 1981. I beat the crap out of it through high school and college, and am just now nearing the completion of it's restoration and resurrection. When I bought it I wanted a Shelby GT350, but at the time they cost $1-2k more, so I bought this one, then spent that difference turning it into a Shelby clone. Sure wish I bought the GT350, cuz I sure can't afford one now! Oh well, hindsight is 20/20!

As purchased in 1981. The car had been repainted once before, and the paint was badly faded and oxidized. I wet it down with the hose for this pic because it's the only time the car was shiny.

Here as a GT350 clone looking rather worn and tired - I use the term "clone" loosely because I wasn't willing to cut out the quarter vents or add side scoops - no mods to the body.

The day I dropped it off at the body shop...

Undercarriage restoration...

And at the Ironstone Concours last September...

I still need to finish installing the center console, Classic Auto Air HVAC under-dash vents, the rear interior, and resolve an electrical issue with my headlights. But, it's great to be driving it again!

Old 02-23-2022, 01:22 PM
garth66

Additional details...

Engine
  • Original 289 CID engine rebuilt to hi-po specs 32 years ago, before the proliferation of stroker kits and aluminum heads
  • Motorsport M-6250-A312 camshaft (similar to the original 'hi-po' grind, but with a split duration favoring the exhaust side)
  • Extensive head port work
  • GT-40 valves
  • Port-matched to intake manifold
  • Roller-tip rockers
  • Tri-Y headers
  • Baffled road-race high capacity oil pan
Transmission
  • T5-z 5-speed (replaced the factory Borg Warner 4-speed)
Suspension
  • TCP subframe connectors
  • Shelby/Arning drop (relocated A-arms)
  • Under-rider traction bars
  • 4-wheel disc brakes
  • Shelby 1" front sway bar
  • Koni shocks
  • Rebuilt and blueprinted GT steering box
  • EPAS electric power steering
  • Z-ray front cross-member
  • Watts link for the rear (to be installed)
Interior
  • Classic Auto Air HVAC system (works fantastic!)
  • LED instrument and interior lighting
  • 69 Mach 1 seats - were in the car when I bought it; they provide much better support than the stock low-backs, and look correct.
  • B-Quite (Dynamat) sound deadening on much of the interior to reduce noise.
Old 08-12-2022, 03:13 PM
amoniac

Hi garth66,

Your Mustang is really beautiful.
Do you know what is its story, before you purchased the Mustang in '81?
Old 08-15-2022, 04:51 PM
garth66

I don't know much of the back story before I bought it, other than I purchased it from the 2nd owner I believe. He had it repainted but supposedly tried to "buff out the paint before it cured" which resulted in the flat burgundy primer look when I acquired it. I believe he had recently purchased a 240Z, and had another car or two, so the Mustang had to go. We agreed on a price, and when I came back with my cash to pick up the car a couple days later I think he was having seller's remorse because all of a sudden the factory AC unit (which he had acquired but not yet installed) was not included in the sale at our agreed upon purchase price. My dad insisted that it wasn't excluded when we agreed on a price and that it IS included, and was acting like we were going to walk away if not included. Frankly, I didn't care about the AC! This was my first car and the one I wanted, and I wasn't willing to walk away if the AC wasn't included - so we didn't. We concluded the transaction and left with the car, but no AC. I was happy and have never regretted my purchase!

When the body shop stripped my car to bare metal they called me and insisted I come see the car... The owner wanted to show me that the metal had "never been worked!" There was no prior accident damage and it was virgin factory steel. The prior paint job had apparently only been a scuff and respray, and nowhere on the body had the metal been sanded or worked beyond what the factory did.

That's about all I know. Somewhere in my garage I still have my original bill of sale with the seller's name. I'll have to see if I can find it and look him up sometime. He might enjoy seeing the car again after 41 years.
Old 08-22-2022, 07:34 AM
amoniac

Originally Posted by garth66
I don't know much of the back story before I bought it, other than I purchased it from the 2nd owner I believe. He had it repainted but supposedly tried to "buff out the paint before it cured" which resulted in the flat burgundy primer look when I acquired it. I believe he had recently purchased a 240Z, and had another car or two, so the Mustang had to go. We agreed on a price, and when I came back with my cash to pick up the car a couple days later I think he was having seller's remorse because all of a sudden the factory AC unit (which he had acquired but not yet installed) was not included in the sale at our agreed upon purchase price. My dad insisted that it wasn't excluded when we agreed on a price and that it IS included, and was acting like we were going to walk away if not included. Frankly, I didn't care about the AC! This was my first car and the one I wanted, and I wasn't willing to walk away if the AC wasn't included - so we didn't. We concluded the transaction and left with the car, but no AC. I was happy and have never regretted my purchase!

When the body shop stripped my car to bare metal they called me and insisted I come see the car... The owner wanted to show me that the metal had "never been worked!" There was no prior accident damage and it was virgin factory steel. The prior paint job had apparently only been a scuff and respray, and nowhere on the body had the metal been sanded or worked beyond what the factory did.

That's about all I know. Somewhere in my garage I still have my original bill of sale with the seller's name. I'll have to see if I can find it and look him up sometime. He might enjoy seeing the car again after 41 years.
It's a great story and no doubt some great memories!
It would surely be a nice surprise for him to see the car that belonged to him a long time ago, indeed!