Members Mustangs This section is for picture threads relating to members Mustangs. Please read the rules before posting!

My new build (2013 5.0)

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2014, 10:08 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Just installed carbon look aeorcatch hood pins...

Of course it called for taking off the whole front end.

I removed the outer rubber hood bumps stops.

Then drilled out the bottom

Tape the top and bottom work area.

Then installed the pin. (Note: you will not need the rubber bump on the pin. I later took it off as it makes the pins sit too high. The pin is threaded and there is a nut and washer for the top and bottom. With this you can adjust the pin height.) I also added some white lithium grease to the top of the pin to mark where I would drill the center hole.

Cover the motor

Drill a pilot hole

Then on large enough for the pin to pass through

Then put more lithium grease on the pin and close the hood. Lift the hood and drill a small pilot hole though the hood where the grease mark is. Then close the hood and drill from the top to the bottom and larger enough hole for the pin to pas through. (Does it really matter is you go from the top, probably not since you are going to cut the whole center out.)

Now align the templates and tape them in place. (Once aligned I used a sharpie and traced the inside.)

Get a suitable hood support and cut it out. (I used a cutting wheel to take out most of it, but stayed away from the line. Then I used a sanding wheel to clean it up.)

For the bottom I used a carbite bit. Looking from the top I cut from the bottom. Then I cleaned it up with a sanding wheel.

The bottom hole needs to be about a 1/4 inch larger than the top. This is so you can hole the lower up and get the nuts in place.

I used new tape but you don't have too. Place the latch system in place and mark the hole to be drilled.

The install the latch system

Next you will have to take your time to get the pins at the right height for smooth operation. I had a lot of trouble with this and I believe it's because I had the rubber sleeve on the pin when I did the marking. I had to widen the mounting hole I had for the pins. They latch, but it's not supper smooth and I'm sure it's because of how I mounted them to make the marks. It's not that hard, but you just have to take your time. It's all worth it in the end.

Now, the manufacturer says to mount them the opposite way than I did and up to a 15 degree tilt. BUT even on their website racers have mounted them the way I did. Along with many other people during my research prior to install. I choose this way be aesthetically I think it looks better and I'm sure it will hold. Gallery picture from aerocatch:
http://www.aerocatch.com/aerocatch/photo-gallery

Last edited by Sleeper_GT; 10-15-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:02 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Just did an axle swap with my buddy. I wanted to go back to 3.31s from 3.73s and he wanted 3.73s. Worked out perfect. We even welded the BMR ReLo brackets on since I was losing mine.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:12 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Anyone following this thread that would like to buy it let me know..... $32,500 .... Unfortunately things have changed for me.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Noooo! This is one of the nicest cars on the site! If I had 32k, I'd buy it...
Old 11-26-2014, 10:24 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Rokgtar
Noooo! This is one of the nicest cars on the site! If I had 32k, I'd buy it...
Thanks......Our family has a lot going on right now. As much as I don't want too, right now it's the best thing for us. Of course I will end up doing another build later once everything calms down.
Old 11-26-2014, 11:56 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I understand completely. Family first...
Old 12-05-2014, 11:24 AM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

I would like to thank everyone for all the nice comments on my build. All things must come to an end and the car just sold to a guy in Ohio. It's bitter sweet to say the least. Once all this stuff blows over and we get settled I do plan on doing another build.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:34 PM
Sleeper_GT
6th Gear Member

Again I would like to thank everyone who followed my 2012 and my 2013 build. Where there's an end there's a beginning. Who's ready to follow another build!? Stay tuned, I'll start a thread soon as well as post the link here. Good times.........

Last edited by Sleeper_GT; 02-20-2015 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 PM
Gary Ugarek
4th Gear Member

ME ME ME OOoh Ooh Ooh Raises hand... ME!
Old 02-25-2015, 09:35 PM
Jim74656
1st Gear Member

very nice build!! sad to see the car has to go, but family does come first!

Quick Reply: My new build (2013 5.0)