Members Mustangs This section is for picture threads relating to members Mustangs. Please read the rules before posting!

My 2000 Atlantic Blue 3.8 V6 5 Speed Project

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 02:05 AM
NicStaner

Default My 2000 Atlantic Blue 3.8 V6 5 Speed Project

Hey guys, just sort of starting a thread since I've sort of started my build so I can document it along the way.

I Have a Plain-Jane 2000 Mustang Sixxer 5-speed that I bought right before last winter. Southern car with some mileage, but overall in very sound condition. Plan on making it my half-and-half, a car I can comfortably drive around, but something I can have a little fun down at Track Days at Hawkeye Downs. Really the only thing the matter with it when I bought it was it needed a new AC Compressor (Main seal blew out, and Compessor Clutch is noisy), and a paintjob. Clear-coat had bubbled and paint had faded from being in military storage for two deployments (and thank you veterans for all of your service), and the front bumper had been sanded to primer thanks to a Walmart Car-Bra That wasn't secured while it was supposed to "protect" the paint and finish.

All That I have done to it was put in a Car Audio Deck (original radio missing, deck that came with it was security locked with no code), put in a couple of bucket seats leftover from my Thunderbird project, and installed a T5 Short Throw W/Shelby Style Shifter Lever, so absolutely nothing noteable, lol.

Below is a pic when I bought it

Shifter/Radio

And Bucket Seats

Old 12-24-2014, 02:12 AM
NicStaner

Bought a Cobra IRS assembly out of a wrecked cobra. 4.11 gear ratio's (wanted 3.73s but availability to price ratio was not anywhere near reasonable in my area) and came with all hardware. I have the Full Tilt Boogie Racing Bushing Kit and have most of it installed, just have to do the two lower control arm bushings, yet.

I'll wait to install it until after I decide which springs and shocks combo I want on the rear. I wanted Eibach All Around (Love Their Performance and their MADE IN USA stamp) but unfortunately looks like their kit for the IRS is outrageous. I'll also install a bumpsteer kit and a heavier sway bar. I'm going to swap the v6's brakes on it for the time being until I get the cobra kit front and back and rims that will fit them.

Old 12-24-2014, 06:20 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Very nice man! Keep us updated!
Old 01-23-2015, 03:37 PM
torchred02
3rd Gear Member

so far seems like you are off to a good start. ill keep checking for updates.
Old 03-29-2015, 10:43 AM
NicStaner

Sorry for late update. Its been bitterly cold here for the last couple months as always in Iowa, and even with a heater in the garage I was close to getting frostbite off of some of the tools and metal parts I was handling, so not a lot got done.

Installed the last of the bushings and shims, and have the IRS put back together. Put on a Ford Racing Differential Cover. Comes with a drain port, Tap-In Ports if I would ever install a differential cooler, and its said that they hold up much better that the stock cover. I don't plan on getting enough grab out of this V6 that it would have ever done anything to the stock, but I didn't see a point putting it back up there with the stock cover if I'd have to go through all the work of unbolting everything and tilting the pumpkin after it was in the car if it ever failed.

Ordered a rear coilover conversion kit from Maximum Motorsports. Bilstein HD Dampers, hardware, and springs. Car is going to be a bear of a rattler, Since I plan on doing mostly Auto-X and Events with this car, and not very much street driving, she's going to have 600lbs/in x 7" x 2.25 springs in the rear, and when I do the front coilover conversion there will be 350lbs/in x 10" x 2.50 in the front. I guess I will find out if my fillings in my teeth are bonded good. I'll have a cut off exhaust for a little bit, since I don't think the stock exhaust works with the IRS assembly in. I plan on getting the Rousch Skirts and putting true dual side exit exhaust on it.

Last edited by NicStaner; 03-29-2015 at 10:46 AM.