Members Other Vehicles This section is for picture threads relating to members non-Mustangs. Please read the rules before posting!

Do you know a lot about cars?

Old 10-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Exclamation Do you know a lot about cars?

***DISCLAIMER***
I know that this is a Mustang forum but I feel that I can post this. For one it is a post about a Ford car, a Taurus. It is also relevant because this is what might keep me from getting my Mustang or not.

Thanks for understanding.
***DISCLAIMER***

My '97 Ford Taurus was having brake problems and the "Service Engine Soon" light was on and it needed to be repaired this month to pass the Emsissions test in order for the license plates not to be suspended. My dad and I took it to a local shop (NAPA AutoCare Center), which we trusted, so that they could kindly fix the problem for us.

They called a day later and told us that the front brakes needed new pads, the rear brake lines were broken, and that there were 5 error codes that the computer brought up, due to the "Service Engine Soon" light.

Just so you know, before I took it in for repair, the engine started off normally and the shifting of the gears in this automatic transmission were smooth...

So in less then a day they "fixed" the car and they told me that the grand total came out to $900.00.

Once I had gathered the money to pay this off, I went to go pick it up. Right away I saw that the engine took longer to start. And also once I pulled out of the shop I noticed that the gears were not shifting smoothly. I didn't think much at the time, I just thought that it was normal for it to do this since it hadn't been used in some time. (Yes I did heat the car up before putting it in drive)

But this Saturday the car started jerking and moving around a lot, and not going smoothly into its first gear...I'm pretty damn sure that this is the transmission and that is why I have not driven it since.

What I want to know from one of you experienced car people is if that any of these services that they did to my car could have possibly done this. I will list them now:
----------------------------------------------
Brake Pads-Front, Metallic Tru-Stop (TS7479M)...$44.89

Wheel Cylinder-Rear (37857)...$22.19

89054851 SENSOR/EGR Valve Position Sensor (214-1356)...$129.88
|
F58Z 12A112AA/Camshaft Position Sensor (DU5T)...$109.88

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SYCHRONIZER (F58Z 12A362BA)...$159.85

Shop Supplies...$5.83
---------------------
Replace front disc pads and resurface rotors, Replace front brake pad linings, and resurface front brake disc rotors. - $139.50

WHEEL CYLINDER - Remove and Replace - Rear, One Side
[Includes: Repack wheel bearings where applicable, bleed system and replace shoes if necessary.] - $93.00

E.G.R. PRESSURE FEEDBACK SENSOR - Remove and Replace - $46.50

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - Remove and Replace - LX, O.H.C.-DOHC
[Includes: Component test.]...$65.10

DIAGNOSE FOR EMISSIONS, SCAN FOR COMPUTER CODES, CODE PO340 AND PO401, CAM SENSOR AND DPFE SENSOR NOT FUNCTIONING...$46.50

Last edited by Matafy; 10-19-2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-20-2009, 12:33 AM
owero01
5th Gear Member

None of these should cause a problem with the transmission. The camshaft sensor can cause a problem with timing. I would take it back and have them put it on the computer to see if any codes show up again.
Old 10-20-2009, 12:49 AM
i8acobra
2nd Gear Member

I'm guessing they either poured something in the tranny or drained a little fluid. The problems you're having sound like bad clutch pack or low fluid pressure.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Alright, Im going to take it tomorrow, thanks for all the help
Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Cool Help Please?

***DISCLAIMER***
I know that this is a Mustang forum but I feel that I can post this. For one it is a post about a Ford car, a Taurus. It is also relevant because this is what might keep me from getting my Mustang or not.

Thanks for understanding.
***DISCLAIMER***

My '97 Ford Taurus was having brake problems and the "Service Engine Soon" light was on and it needed to be repaired this month to pass the Emsissions test in order for the license plates not to be suspended. My dad and I took it to a local shop (NAPA AutoCare Center), which we trusted, so that they could kindly fix the problem for us.

They called a day later and told us that the front brakes needed new pads, the rear brake lines were broken, and that there were 5 error codes that the computer brought up, due to the "Service Engine Soon" light.

Just so you know, before I took it in for repair, the engine started off normally and the shifting of the gears in this automatic transmission were smooth...

So in less then a day they "fixed" the car and they told me that the grand total came out to $900.00.

Once I had gathered the money to pay this off, I went to go pick it up. Right away I saw that the engine took longer to start. And also once I pulled out of the shop I noticed that the gears were not shifting smoothly. I didn't think much at the time, I just thought that it was normal for it to do this since it hadn't been used in some time. (Yes I did heat the car up before putting it in drive)

But this Saturday the car started jerking and moving around a lot, and not going smoothly into its first gear...I'm pretty damn sure that this is the transmission and that is why I have not driven it since.

What I want to know from one of you experienced car people is if that any of these services that they did to my car could have possibly done this. I will list them now:
----------------------------------------------
Brake Pads-Front, Metallic Tru-Stop (TS7479M)...$44.89

Wheel Cylinder-Rear (37857)...$22.19

89054851 SENSOR/EGR Valve Position Sensor (214-1356)...$129.88
|
F58Z 12A112AA/Camshaft Position Sensor (DU5T)...$109.88

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR SYCHRONIZER (F58Z 12A362BA)...$159.85

Shop Supplies...$5.83
---------------------
Replace front disc pads and resurface rotors, Replace front brake pad linings, and resurface front brake disc rotors. - $139.50

WHEEL CYLINDER - Remove and Replace - Rear, One Side
[Includes: Repack wheel bearings where applicable, bleed system and replace shoes if necessary.] - $93.00

E.G.R. PRESSURE FEEDBACK SENSOR - Remove and Replace - $46.50

CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR - Remove and Replace - LX, O.H.C.-DOHC
[Includes: Component test.]...$65.10

DIAGNOSE FOR EMISSIONS, SCAN FOR COMPUTER CODES, CODE PO340 AND PO401, CAM SENSOR AND DPFE SENSOR NOT FUNCTIONING...$46.50
Old 10-20-2009, 09:19 PM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by i8acobra
I'm guessing they either poured something in the tranny or drained a little fluid. The problems you're having sound like bad clutch pack or low fluid pressure.
It's an automatic.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:32 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

if you could describe this part with a
little more detail, it might help us figure
out what is going on.

Originally Posted by Matafy

But this Saturday the car started jerking and moving around a lot
Old 10-20-2009, 09:40 PM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Ok.

I start up the car and from previous times, it takes longer for the engine to start. Once it does start I let it warm up a little bit and then I put it into reverse. This gear is fine and its not until I put it in drive that we see the problems. Once you put it in drive the car jerks forward. I give it gas and the gear wouldnt change smoothly. In order for it to change somewhat smoothly I could only give it so much gas until it reached a little bit before 2 RPM. Before when the car was fine I could give it gas to about 2.5 RPM and it would change smoothly. If I were to accelerate normally once I put it into drive the car would "stall" kind of like a manual transmission car, except the only difference is that the automatic doesnt turn off the engine. I hope that is more detailed.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:18 PM
i8acobra
2nd Gear Member

Yeah, I know. Autos have clutch packs inside the tranny. If you take a little fluid out or if you pour some fine metal shavings down the dipstick, you'll burn out the clutch packs really quick. Also, removing some fluid can cause low pressure which will make the tranny hang in a gear.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:29 PM
Matafy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Yeah, I know. Autos have clutch packs inside the tranny. If you take a little fluid out or if you pour some fine metal shavings down the dipstick, you'll burn out the clutch packs really quick. Also, removing some fluid can cause low pressure which will make the tranny hang in a gear.
So do you suspect that they might have done something?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you know a lot about cars?