Members Rides and Car Show Section This section is for requests for photos of certain models or modifications, as well as car shows and events. Please read the rules before posting!

Snapped a few new pics today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 08:53 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Default Snapped a few new pics today...

I always admire how people take these awesome looking pics of their cars with nice expensive cameras with special features and skills that I just don't possess, but I still try lol! I love the cars sitting in front of warehouses etc, so I drove around a bit while I was taking my car for a spin and came across a couple spots. I just have a nice lil Sony Digital 6.2 MP camera, and then use Paint Shop Pro to enhance the colors with one touch (poor mans solution to not having an expensive camera with cool filters). I'm obviously not touching up/masking anything, just one touchin' it. I'll use an untouched pic first so you can tell the difference...

Normal:

One Touched:

...Nothin crazy, but fun nonetheless!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:18 PM
the_Pete

Nice pics!

my 2 cents worth on trying to get professional looking pics: if want the car to really pop, without too much photoshop enhancement, try to find a darker background and use flash. Find a grey warehouse or alley etc so that your color enhancement pops the car out of the image.

Also check to see if your camera has Aperture setting adjustment, as this will filter out the overexposure which comes through as too much light / white reflections.

These 2 things can transform your photo skills no end...

I really like your industrial backdrop shots.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:29 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Hey thank you for your feedback! I'll try to find the dark warehouse/setting and use flash! Couldn't find that setting, but it does have a 'White Balance' menu, with 'Auto, Daylight, Tungsten, Fluorescent, and Open Shade' within the menu...?
Old 02-13-2011, 10:32 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Sorry, when I reffered to "that setting", I was referring to that "Aperture" setting you mentioned, not the setting/place to take the pic.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:45 PM
the_Pete

Yeah, the white balance settings will help. Try taking the same shot, but with different settings and it can be surprising which shot turns out the best. Some cameras only have a few presets, while others you can select manually. I also like to use a tripod and use the timer as this will ensure the shot is steady.

Another neat trick is long exposure photos, but you need low light conditions for this to be effective otherwise the shot will be washed out. If your camera has this setting, you can set up some really cool shots, using a hand held flash, LED torch etc... If I get a chance, I will try take some in the next week & post an example here. He's some fun stuff you can do using the same technique:

Last edited by the_Pete; 02-13-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:57 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Ok cool, thank you for the info!
Old 02-14-2011, 08:22 PM
95 BLOWN GT
5th Gear Member

if i didnt have my stang i could probably afford an expensive camera......but than i wouldnt have my car so i wouldnt need an expensive camera....oh well a cheap sony handycam it is .....lol
Old 02-17-2011, 05:10 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by the_Pete
Yeah, the white balance settings will help. Try taking the same shot, but with different settings and it can be surprising which shot turns out the best. Some cameras only have a few presets, while others you can select manually. I also like to use a tripod and use the timer as this will ensure the shot is steady.

Another neat trick is long exposure photos, but you need low light conditions for this to be effective otherwise the shot will be washed out. If your camera has this setting, you can set up some really cool shots, using a hand held flash, LED torch etc... If I get a chance, I will try take some in the next week & post an example here. He's some fun stuff you can do using the same technique:

That's awesome!
Old 02-17-2011, 05:11 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by 95 BLOWN GT
if i didnt have my stang i could probably afford an expensive camera......but than i wouldnt have my car so i wouldnt need an expensive camera....oh well a cheap sony handycam it is .....lol
Hahaha! I won't be buying any expensive cameras either, cuz it wouldn't be fair to the camera!
Old 02-22-2011, 11:01 PM
89LX5pointO
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Bladerunner
Great pics and sharp looking mustang you have!
Do you plan on repainting your rear quarter panel?
Hey thanks! Yeah absolutely, hopefully in May. I want to have it done before summer. The previous owner was side swiped on the freeway. My dad and I got the dent pounded out a bit, and then I threw some primer on it to hold it over til it gets fixed/painted. Guess I do things a little backwards, because the first thing I bought was new wheels and tires lol, that money woulda covered the body repair. Lookin to be between $1200-$1600. Can't wait!

Quick Reply: Snapped a few new pics today...