Mid West IL, IN, IA, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI

Track Guys At Gingerman Raceway July 17-19

Old 07-03-2009, 10:39 AM
jcthomas
1st Gear Member

Default Track Guys At Gingerman Raceway July 17-19

I went last year for the first time. It was a lot of fun, and I learned a whole lot about driving my car.

You get two days on the track with professional technical instruction, both in the class room as well as in your car. You get a driver instructor assigned to you for the weekend. After class room instruction each day you get to go out on the track and the driver instructor goes with you each time. He reinforces what you learn in the classroom and coaches you around the track.

It's not a race; cars are released onto the track at intervals. There's no pressure to go fast or drive your car hard. It's all about what's comfortable to you and improving your driving skills. You can pass cars if you come up on them, but only when the slower car waves you by.

It's a real good deal. You get to go on the course several times each day for many laps. You get a lot of time on the track butt in seat behind the wheel.

The instructors do it because they get track time with their cars. They have some nice and fast cars too! You also get the opportunity to ride with them which is a thrill but also provides a chance to learn more about driving as you watch them and can ask questions.

I met some real nice Mustang people. My Mustang quit on I94 on the way home. Good thing I still had the numbers on it; I had several of the drivers stop to help me. Scott Hoag, who was track lead instructor that day and is the owner of Mustang Racing Technologies (MRT) in Plymouth stopped. He trailered his race car home, unloaded the trailer, returned to get my car, loaded it up, and took it home (about a 3 hour round trip). (Turned out that my in-tank fuel float had become entangled so my gauge did not read empty even though I was out of gas!)

If you're interested, see http://www.trackguys.motorsportreg.com/
Old 07-04-2009, 10:39 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Wow, that looks like a blast. If I was a lot younger I would try it out.
Old 09-17-2009, 01:39 PM
jcthomas
1st Gear Member

Photos from GingerMan: http://picasaweb.google.com/joscthom...eat=directlink
Old 09-17-2009, 03:17 PM
wingman75
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by jcthomas
Hey Joe what did it cost to run all day and get instruction? Looks like you had a great day for it. My car needs some suspension work before I would ever attempt anything like that. It seems to be a little out of balance on long sweeping fast curves. It leans too much. Its just uncomfortable for me, a little unsettling. Can you have a passenger along for the ride?

-Jack-