Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Motor Swap Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #61
sprayn8

Vehicle: 98 ford mustang

Im in the middle of this swap and on the first page it says to use a pickup tube from a two valve but that wont work on mine, way too small,but the mark 8 tube looks just like the cobra pickup tube any one shed some light on this and are people using 16 pound injectors along with there stock gt computer or the 24 pound injectors that come on the 4 valve? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
sprayn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #62
JC316
4th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1997 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayn8 View Post
Im in the middle of this swap and on the first page it says to use a pickup tube from a two valve but that wont work on mine, way too small,but the mark 8 tube looks just like the cobra pickup tube any one shed some light on this and are people using 16 pound injectors along with there stock gt computer or the 24 pound injectors that come on the 4 valve? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Hmm, that is odd. The 2V pickup tube from my 96 2V fit perfectly in my 97 Mark VIII motor. Is the pickup tube from a Mustang, or a different 2V? I seem to recall that the Towncar 2V pickup tube was skinnier than the Mustang tube. If you use the 24lbs injectors, you will run rich if you are using the stock tune. The 19lbs injectors do OK with the engine.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM   #63
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

Vehicle: 2001 Fobra
Send a message via AIM to masterofthepuppets99

if you cant retune your computer for 24lb injectors then you have no choice but to run 19lb injectors. as for the pickup...1997-1998 Mk VIII engines used fords high volume oil pump which is the same pump on cobras from 1996-2004. this pump requires 15/16"(?) diameter pickup whereas the 2v engines from 1992-present used the standard volume oil pump with a 13/16"(?) pickup tube. I believe that the 1993-1996(non coil on plug) MK VIII engines may have used the standard volume oil pump which could be your problem. The MK VIII pickup tube is not the same as the mustang pickup, as the length is different. so if youre putting a Mk VIII engine into a mustang then use 4v cobra pickup tube and a mustang oil pan.
masterofthepuppets99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #64
crossfade

Vehicle: 1996 ford mustang gt

hey guys im having an issue with my swap as well. im thinking of swiching back to the 19# injectors however i was wondering if their were some preformance issues that i would come accorss. at the moment when im at about 1500-2000 rpm it seems as if the car is missing on a few cylindars. im not sure if this is a injector issue or if i bought a POS engine. again thanks for any help
crossfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 PM   #65
sprayn8

Just finished my conversion fouund out lots of little things that could help someone out
  1. nimber 1 do yourself a favor get the coolant crossover tube from a 24 valve mark 8 already has two coolant temp sensor holes! 10 bucks at junk yard
  2. next thing is install motor in car without intake then put your trans in much easier to get at the top bolts of trans that way you save yourself the hassle of droping the k member
  3. also the throttle cable from mark 8 will work but will have to modify the mount because there is too much slack in pedal i will post some pics to show
  4. i used the pan from my 2v with the mark 8 pickup tube it works but its and inch from the bottom of the pan which is pushing it a little but it does work
    any more ??? just let me know what ya got
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM   #66
sprayn8

also i got and alt. off of a 32 valve towncar, my mustang wiring plugged right into it and it works
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #67
crossfade

ok i finaly got this thing together and i must say it is a BEAST !!!!! i am soooo glad i did not do the PI swap now. thank you to all that contribited to this thread and my project. the second motor that i bought was $1000 (after the $300 engine proved to be a POS) but after 6 mos im glad it is finaly done!!! one question though. i got a c&l intake and i cannot fit the strut brace on the car anymore sue to the CAI set up. i do feel a diffrence in handleing without it any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #68
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT
BraMas

I have a C&L intake and my STB fits.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM   #69
crossfade

nice set up... mine is a little diffrent. i have a GT strut brace and the mark 8 intake system... i followed the guide and got the 99 cobra intake system. im thinking i may have to cut it and fabricate it to work and make sure the hood still closes. any other suggestions?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #70
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Vehicle: 1997 Mustang GT, 2002 F150 XLT 4x4 Triton
MustangSVT97r
Send a message via AIM to uberstang1 Send a message via Yahoo to uberstang1

GT strut bar will not work with 4v. Need cobra bar.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:14 PM   #71
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 96 GTS
Send a message via AIM to BlackMage

JC316, is your car a 248a optioned car by chance?

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS

Install Guides by yours truly: Clutch cable, PI Intake, Mishimoto Fan, Color your FORD Emblem, Interior Carpet
BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #72
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT
BraMas

He doesn't own it anymore but I'm pretty sure it was a 248A car
Old 05-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #73
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

i happened to be on another forum and saw some videos of his car when he first swapped the motor in and saw that he had V6 seats in it haha, so i had to ask. idk why that caught my eye

Install Guides by yours truly: Clutch cable, PI Intake, Mishimoto Fan, Color your FORD Emblem, Interior Carpet
Old 06-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #74
crossfade

2 quick questions 1: about the fuel injectors... i have the stock mustang 19# injectors on the motor right now... i was wondering if i the 24# injectors would need to tune the eec or could i get away with buying a maf for a mark 8 or cobra? also what kind of gains should i expect by doing this? 2: Im still having a problem with my strut bar situation. i bought a new bar form max moter sports for a 1999 cobra (although i have a 1996 gt body) thinking that it would fit over the CAI i bought based on the advice of jc316 it did not work! $175 wasted... anyways other then buying a new hood to make that one fit can anyone tell me a way to get my stb back on with the mark 8 intake and a C&L inlet tube from a 1999 to fit on a 1996 gt body?
thanks to all who helped
Old 11-29-2011, 08:18 PM   #75
dr0pt0pGT

@ OP - awesome writeup. this is def gonna help my swap. was gonna get a pi motor out of an interceptor but after reading this im going with 32v. thanks for sharing your experience. any updates on the car? still running on the gt tune?

@ crossfade - im guessing he meant a 96-98 cobra stb since the mounting locations are prob slightly diff on 99+.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:34 AM   #76
JC316
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr0pt0pGT View Post
@ OP - awesome writeup. this is def gonna help my swap. was gonna get a pi motor out of an interceptor but after reading this im going with 32v. thanks for sharing your experience. any updates on the car? still running on the gt tune?

@ crossfade - im guessing he meant a 96-98 cobra stb since the mounting locations are prob slightly diff on 99+.
Wow, sorry for not updating this, I never even saw half of the new replies. Yes, my car was a 248A Option 1 car.

Glad I could help. I no longer own the car, but I stay in touch with the guy that owns her now. Still running great on the GT tune, he is daily driving it to work and back, getting 26MPG with it. Heck it even has 5 24lbs injectors and 3 19lbs injectors.

As for crossfade, I didn't recommend the Cobra STB, that would be uberstang.
Old 12-01-2011, 09:20 AM   #77
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

hahaha how come the injectors are mismatched ?

Old 12-01-2011, 01:05 PM   #78
JC316
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage View Post
hahaha how come the injectors are mismatched ?
When I went to the junkyard to get the mark viii motor, someone had snagged three of the fuel injectors, so I used three of my NPI injectors. When I looked it up, I found incorrect info that the base NPI used 24lbs injectors, when in fact it uses 19lbs injectors. I didn't know about the colors showing how much flow. So yeah, 5 blue top and 3 yellow top. I informed the new owner and he didn't give a crap.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #79
BlackMage
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
When I went to the junkyard to get the mark viii motor, someone had snagged three of the fuel injectors, so I used three of my NPI injectors. When I looked it up, I found incorrect info that the base NPI used 24lbs injectors, when in fact it uses 19lbs injectors. I didn't know about the colors showing how much flow. So yeah, 5 blue top and 3 yellow top. I informed the new owner and he didn't give a crap.
never woulda guessed it would even run like that lol

Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #80
JC316
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage View Post
never woulda guessed it would even run like that lol
Much less get 26MPG. I kind of miss my old car, but I have a Super Coupe now that is keeping me busy.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:58 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang

Paid Advertisement

Tags
98, 99, ac, cobra, coolant, delete, engine, fit, fuel, hose, mark, mustang, rails, remove, transmission, viii, wiring