Go Back   MustangForums.com > Ford Mustang Tech > Motor Swap Section
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Welcome to Mustang Forums!
Welcome to Mustang Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!


Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT.

Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2011, 04:04 PM   #81
BlackMage
5th Gear Member
 
BlackMage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 96 GTS
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 2,008
Send a message via AIM to BlackMage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
Much less get 26MPG. I kind of miss my old car, but I have a Super Coupe now that is keeping me busy.
anything done to the sc?
This ad is not displayed to registered or logged-in members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Mustang Forums!
__________________

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS


Install Guides by yours truly: Clutch cable, PI Intake, Mishimoto Fan, Color your FORD Emblem, Interior Carpet
BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:14 PM   #82
JC316
4th Gear Member
 
JC316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 Cobra
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage View Post
anything done to the sc?
3.0" Pulley, .20 over pistons, BBK 75MM TB, 75MM MAF, Full exhaust, CAI, B&M short throw and 3.23's. It's slower to 60MPH than my mustang was, but faster to 75MPH. Takes a lot to get her big *** rolling. I am currently doing body work and primer, setting up for paint.
__________________
1992 Corvette M6
Guide to installing a Mark VIII engine in a 96+GT
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:52 PM   #83
BlackMage
5th Gear Member
 
BlackMage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 96 GTS
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 2,008
Send a message via AIM to BlackMage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
3.0" Pulley, .20 over pistons, BBK 75MM TB, 75MM MAF, Full exhaust, CAI, B&M short throw and 3.23's. It's slower to 60MPH than my mustang was, but faster to 75MPH. Takes a lot to get her big *** rolling. I am currently doing body work and primer, setting up for paint.
very nice dude. i love those cars. Get some pics up of it
__________________

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS


Install Guides by yours truly: Clutch cable, PI Intake, Mishimoto Fan, Color your FORD Emblem, Interior Carpet
BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:53 PM   #84
JC316
4th Gear Member
 
JC316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 Cobra
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMage View Post
very nice dude. i love those cars. Get some pics up of it
Made a thread about it, pics included.
http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-...ml#post7764217
__________________
1992 Corvette M6
Guide to installing a Mark VIII engine in a 96+GT
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 04:00 PM   #85
bbbilly426
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 95 ford mustang
Location: n.j.
Posts: 23
Default

this was really great. i will keep this for myself. it is very helpful to me. because i planning on doing this same swap in my 1995 , i found a 1997 4.6 l but it don't have a wiring hares and the motor I'm looking at comes out 1997mustgan . it's 500.00$ but i'm still looking maybe i can find a 5.8l motor. I'm in my state n.j. and if any out there know were one might be. please text my at 908-884-0521 billy
bbbilly426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 PM   #86
SchmigShady
 
Join Date: May 2010
Vehicle: 1996 Mustang GT
Location: MI
Posts: 33
Default

Has anybody done this on an automatic? I would love to do this if and when my 2v craps out. saw a 95 mark 8 at the jy the other day that had 158k on it said it runs and they wanted $450 for it. not sure if i would buy a motor i cant hear run and with that many miles on it.
SchmigShady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 AM   #87
JC316
4th Gear Member
 
JC316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 Cobra
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmigShady View Post
Has anybody done this on an automatic? I would love to do this if and when my 2v craps out. saw a 95 mark 8 at the jy the other day that had 158k on it said it runs and they wanted $450 for it. not sure if i would buy a motor i cant hear run and with that many miles on it.
Should bolt right up to the automatic that's in the GT. Likely wouldn't even have to change the flexplate.
__________________
1992 Corvette M6
Guide to installing a Mark VIII engine in a 96+GT
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 03:57 PM   #88
bentzel158
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Vehicle: 98 mustang gt
Location: florida
Posts: 2
Default

ok so im getting ready to do the swap in my 98 GT but with a 95 mark8 motor, i just got my hands on a 98 cobra intake but now do i need a 98 cobra throttle cable or can i use the GTs or some some other throttle cable because they want like $140 for the cobra cable on ebay
bentzel158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #89
BlackMage
5th Gear Member
 
BlackMage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Vehicle: 96 GTS
Location: Northern Wisconsin
Posts: 2,008
Send a message via AIM to BlackMage
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentzel158 View Post
ok so im getting ready to do the swap in my 98 GT but with a 95 mark8 motor, i just got my hands on a 98 cobra intake but now do i need a 98 cobra throttle cable or can i use the GTs or some some other throttle cable because they want like $140 for the cobra cable on ebay
you will need the 96-98 cobra throttle cable bracket, 96-98 cobra throttle cable, and/or 96-98 cobra cruise cable(if u want to use it) *or you can relocate the battery to the trunk, and then relocate the cruise control motor to the location the battery was at, and u can use the stock GT cruise cable.
__________________

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS


Install Guides by yours truly: Clutch cable, PI Intake, Mishimoto Fan, Color your FORD Emblem, Interior Carpet
BlackMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #90
bbbilly426
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Vehicle: 95 ford mustang
Location: n.j.
Posts: 23
Default

Of what a 5.0 motor now. Not just going to 5.0. I want to use carburetor and I did not find out for couple other things go to work
bbbilly426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #91
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 Mustang GT
Location: East middle of no where, WV
Posts: 585
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbilly426 View Post
Of what a 5.0 motor now. Not just going to 5.0. I want to use carburetor and I did not find out for couple other things go to work
Really? Is this the best you can do?
__________________
Faded Rio Red 1998 GT - Slow-"ish", MGW sts, Aluminum DS, 3.73, O/R H and Flowmaster somethings, 4V swap win-ness!

Next Mod: Lowering via coil overs
1998Slow 'Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 PM   #92
acth4347
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 1996, ford, mustang
Location: ca
Posts: 2
Default

I have a 96 GT 2V that I am swapping out with a 98 Cobra 4V SVT. I have an 8 bolt flywheel that will take the 10.5 in clutch and should have no problem bolting up to the T-45. I also have the wiring harnesses so I can run with the IMRC's and plan to delete all smog with the tune. My question is, can I get my GT ECU/PCM re-flashed with a stock 98 Cobra program and do tunes/smog deletes from there? Or are the computers physically different? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.
acth4347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #93
1998Slow 'Stang
3rd Gear Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1998 Mustang GT
Location: East middle of no where, WV
Posts: 585
Default

I would find out if this has to/will pass CA smog even if everything is hooked up right. Makes me glad I live in the land of not caring about emissions.
__________________
Faded Rio Red 1998 GT - Slow-"ish", MGW sts, Aluminum DS, 3.73, O/R H and Flowmaster somethings, 4V swap win-ness!

Next Mod: Lowering via coil overs
1998Slow 'Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:20 AM   #94
acth4347
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Vehicle: 1996, ford, mustang
Location: ca
Posts: 2
Default

I am building a "special construction" 1965 Cobra replica. I will be registering it under SB100, and that means I can smog it as a '65. I will only have to worry about crankcase venting to the intake. The dilemma is I don't know if the ECU/PCM is the same physically and just needs reflashing to a 98 Cobra program or if I will have to buy a Cobra computer. Thanks again.
acth4347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 AM   #95
JC316
4th Gear Member
 
JC316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 Cobra
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acth4347 View Post
I am building a "special construction" 1965 Cobra replica. I will be registering it under SB100, and that means I can smog it as a '65. I will only have to worry about crankcase venting to the intake. The dilemma is I don't know if the ECU/PCM is the same physically and just needs reflashing to a 98 Cobra program or if I will have to buy a Cobra computer. Thanks again.
Yes, it's the same ECM and should flash without issue.
__________________
1992 Corvette M6
Guide to installing a Mark VIII engine in a 96+GT
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 10:56 PM   #96
Stangbuilder2000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 200 ford mustang gt teksid 32v
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

I just completed this swap on my 2000 gt along with an auto to manual swap but the motor is sputtering like it has a bad vacuum leak, but misfires and runs worse going up hill making me think it's fuel delivery related. The plugs are used but still have plenty of miles on them. I'm still using the SOHC/ automatic ecu and the car is barely running. I've checked my electrical and vacuum lines over and over, seems like it might be getting too much fuel? Or maybe the computer is just freaking out? After scanning it the only 2 codes I got were for the automatic trans but maybe those codes are causing the problem idk. Any help would be great!!
Stangbuilder2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:31 AM   #97
JC316
4th Gear Member
 
JC316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 Cobra
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,895
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbuilder2000 View Post
I just completed this swap on my 2000 gt along with an auto to manual swap but the motor is sputtering like it has a bad vacuum leak, but misfires and runs worse going up hill making me think it's fuel delivery related. The plugs are used but still have plenty of miles on them. I'm still using the SOHC/ automatic ecu and the car is barely running. I've checked my electrical and vacuum lines over and over, seems like it might be getting too much fuel? Or maybe the computer is just freaking out? After scanning it the only 2 codes I got were for the automatic trans but maybe those codes are causing the problem idk. Any help would be great!!

What did you do about the fuel rail? Isn't the 2000 a returnless setup? If the fuel pressure regulator is effing up, it might cause those symptoms.
__________________
1992 Corvette M6
Guide to installing a Mark VIII engine in a 96+GT
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:21 PM   #98
Stangbuilder2000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 200 ford mustang gt teksid 32v
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
What did you do about the fuel rail? Isn't the 2000 a returnless setup? If the fuel pressure regulator is effing up, it might cause those symptoms.
I used the factory 2000 gt fuel rails and the factory regulator, just did a bit of welding on the rails to make the crossover line work. Still a returnless style, do I just run the vacuum from the fuel rail mounted regulator straight to the intake? Not sure because I bought the car with no top end on the engine and didn't get to see how everything went together forsure

I'm using 96 mark viii injectors, other than that it's all the factory fuel system
Stangbuilder2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #99
Stangbuilder2000
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Vehicle: 200 ford mustang gt teksid 32v
Location: California
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC316 View Post
What did you do about the fuel rail? Isn't the 2000 a returnless setup? If the fuel pressure regulator is effing up, it might cause those symptoms.
Is there any way to test if it's bad? It has power to it and isn't throwing any codes
Stangbuilder2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #100
JC316
4th Gear Member
 
JC316's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Vehicle: 1997 Cobra
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,895
Default

I can't help you much there, I have only had one returnless setup mustang and it never had a problem. You might make a thread in the 4.6L section asking about it.
__________________
1992 Corvette M6
Guide to installing a Mark VIII engine in a 96+GT
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 04:53 PM
MustangForums
Ford Mustang




Paid Advertisement

 
 
 
Reply

Tags
98, 99, ac, cobra, coolant, delete, engine, fit, fuel, hose, mark, mustang, rails, remove, transmission, viii, wiring

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Engines that will fit? s1rGr1nG0 V6 (1994-2004) Mustangs 11 11-11-2009 09:03 PM
3.8-4.6 4v swap Cwaybryce 4.6L (1996-2004 Modular) Mustang 14 11-10-2009 02:41 PM

Advertising

Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
New Sponsors
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

© Internet Brands, Inc.


This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. Ford® is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company
Emails Backup