Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT.

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 05:30 PM
sprayn8

Im in the middle of this swap and on the first page it says to use a pickup tube from a two valve but that wont work on mine, way too small,but the mark 8 tube looks just like the cobra pickup tube any one shed some light on this and are people using 16 pound injectors along with there stock gt computer or the 24 pound injectors that come on the 4 valve? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM
JC316
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by sprayn8
Im in the middle of this swap and on the first page it says to use a pickup tube from a two valve but that wont work on mine, way too small,but the mark 8 tube looks just like the cobra pickup tube any one shed some light on this and are people using 16 pound injectors along with there stock gt computer or the 24 pound injectors that come on the 4 valve? any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Hmm, that is odd. The 2V pickup tube from my 96 2V fit perfectly in my 97 Mark VIII motor. Is the pickup tube from a Mustang, or a different 2V? I seem to recall that the Towncar 2V pickup tube was skinnier than the Mustang tube. If you use the 24lbs injectors, you will run rich if you are using the stock tune. The 19lbs injectors do OK with the engine.
Old 02-18-2011, 11:05 AM
masterofthepuppets99
2nd Gear Member

if you cant retune your computer for 24lb injectors then you have no choice but to run 19lb injectors. as for the pickup...1997-1998 Mk VIII engines used fords high volume oil pump which is the same pump on cobras from 1996-2004. this pump requires 15/16"(?) diameter pickup whereas the 2v engines from 1992-present used the standard volume oil pump with a 13/16"(?) pickup tube. I believe that the 1993-1996(non coil on plug) MK VIII engines may have used the standard volume oil pump which could be your problem. The MK VIII pickup tube is not the same as the mustang pickup, as the length is different. so if youre putting a Mk VIII engine into a mustang then use 4v cobra pickup tube and a mustang oil pan.
Old 03-12-2011, 02:38 AM
crossfade

hey guys im having an issue with my swap as well. im thinking of swiching back to the 19# injectors however i was wondering if their were some preformance issues that i would come accorss. at the moment when im at about 1500-2000 rpm it seems as if the car is missing on a few cylindars. im not sure if this is a injector issue or if i bought a POS engine. again thanks for any help
Old 03-14-2011, 08:58 PM
sprayn8

Just finished my conversion fouund out lots of little things that could help someone out
  1. nimber 1 do yourself a favor get the coolant crossover tube from a 24 valve mark 8 already has two coolant temp sensor holes! 10 bucks at junk yard
  2. next thing is install motor in car without intake then put your trans in much easier to get at the top bolts of trans that way you save yourself the hassle of droping the k member
  3. also the throttle cable from mark 8 will work but will have to modify the mount because there is too much slack in pedal i will post some pics to show
  4. i used the pan from my 2v with the mark 8 pickup tube it works but its and inch from the bottom of the pan which is pushing it a little but it does work
    any more ??? just let me know what ya got
Old 03-14-2011, 09:08 PM
sprayn8

also i got and alt. off of a 32 valve towncar, my mustang wiring plugged right into it and it works
Old 04-18-2011, 10:33 PM
crossfade

ok i finaly got this thing together and i must say it is a BEAST !!!!! i am soooo glad i did not do the PI swap now. thank you to all that contribited to this thread and my project. the second motor that i bought was $1000 (after the $300 engine proved to be a POS) but after 6 mos im glad it is finaly done!!! one question though. i got a c&l intake and i cannot fit the strut brace on the car anymore sue to the CAI set up. i do feel a diffrence in handleing without it any suggestions?
Old 04-19-2011, 07:35 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

I have a C&L intake and my STB fits.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM
crossfade

nice set up... mine is a little diffrent. i have a GT strut brace and the mark 8 intake system... i followed the guide and got the 99 cobra intake system. im thinking i may have to cut it and fabricate it to work and make sure the hood still closes. any other suggestions?
Old 04-20-2011, 08:29 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

GT strut bar will not work with 4v. Need cobra bar.

Quick Reply: Step by Step guide to installing a Mark VIII motor in a 96+ GT.