Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

'85 SVO swap electrical problems.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 AM
Brux

Default '85 SVO swap electrical problems.

I'm trying to fix an old SVO that got an incomplete swap, and won't run. It's my step-dad's, so I'll post the story of the car, so y'all have some kind of background.

Many many years back, I had a '85 SVO that I picked up real cheap. Not too long afterwards, I figured out why; the 2.3 was on its way out. I picked up an '84 5.0 from a buddy for a swap, but living in an apartment and working a full-time job left me with no time or space to do a swap, so I had to sell the car and engine for next to nothing. And I regretted it for a long, long time.

Fast forward to about 5 years ago. Now I'm married, with a house and garage, working a different job. One day I hear a coworker talking about a Mustang his buddy has sitting around, and something about it just sounded familiar. I got his number so I could take a look at it, and wouldn't you know, it's my old SVO. It had changed hands twice since I let it go, but the title was still in my name, the air freshener I bought for it was still there, and there were still gas receipts that I had got in it. I knew I couldn't let it go again, so I picked it up, not knowing what had happened since I lost it.

So, the problem: the wiring is all but gone. all the dash wiring, the engine electrical, everything. One of the PO's must have just tore everything out and just set the 5.0 in, but never got it running. What's left is cut and incomplete.

Obviously, I don't know much about swaps. I have the wiring diagrams for the car, but I was wondering if anyone has any advice for getting it going. Is there a kit I can pick up? Preferably without breaking my bank?

Thanks in advance for any help!