Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

4.0 swap for 5.4 4v Navigator engine

Old 06-23-2013, 08:24 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Default 4.0 swap for 5.4 4v Navigator engine

Im looking for some help/advice on how to swap the 4.0 for the 5.4 4v Navi engine. Im basically looking to gather a parts list as I'm unsure of what i need .. i was already planning on:

5.4 4v Engine
8.8 GT rear end
TR6060 Trans

What Im Unsure About:
GT drive shaft
Shelby Wiring harness
CPU
GT/Shelby suspension
GT brakes
Exhaust

Im sure there are other things im not even thinking about, but if anyone can chime in with any of this info i would greatly appreciate it! I've never done anything this extreme before but I am dying to try it!
Old 06-25-2013, 12:14 AM
MustangFirstCar
5th Gear Member

I don't have any advice to give but I am also very interested in this so have a bump
Old 06-26-2013, 07:45 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Best thing to do is to get the electronics from the Navigator if possible.
You're entering unknown territory anyway so no one has concrete answers for you since it hasn't be done that I know of but my hat to you for thinking outside the box.
I myself wanna do that combo eventually (or an injected 408 stroker) but I don't have the time lately and I can't afford to have the car out of commission for too long as well...
Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
JimC

I think that one of the guys at MustangCollective used a Navigator engine for his build. He has since changed it, but I'm pretty sure it was a Navigator in there at one time, with turbo.
Old 06-27-2013, 07:34 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Was it Ragen?
If so, it was a 3 valver.
99/04 Navigators were 4V and that's the mill you want...
Old 06-27-2013, 08:14 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Best thing to do is to get the electronics from the Navigator if possible.
You're entering unknown territory anyway so no one has concrete answers for you since it hasn't be done that I know of but my hat to you for thinking outside the box.
I myself wanna do that combo eventually (or an injected 408 stroker) but I don't have the time lately and I can't afford to have the car out of commission for too long as well...
Yea, I definitely couldn't have my car down for down long either.. that's why I wanted to plan for it. This would be awesome, it's just not worth it to swap 4.0 for a GT engine. Go big or go home And any money I would use to modify the 4.0 would cost nearly the same as the 4.0 swap for the 5.4.. which in long long run would provide much more power.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:41 PM
JimC

Was it Ragen?
If so, it was a 3 valver.
99/04 Navigators were 4V and that's the mill you want...
No, not Rygen, I think it was what Lance had in his car up until a year or so ago (when he went with a new Ford racing build)
Old 06-28-2013, 11:58 AM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
No, not Rygen, I think it was what Lance had in his car up until a year or so ago (when he went with a new Ford racing build)
Do you know what his username is? From a few things i have read it would seem it has been done.. there just isnt any info on it. and i would much rather have the 4v over the 3v.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:26 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by StangMuscle
... it's just not worth it to swap 4.0 for a GT engine. Go big or go home ...
Yep, that's how I feel about this.
Especially since the GTs are very affordable right now...
If you gonna go with the GT mill, then it's cheaper to buy the whole car if you're gonna limit yourself to 300hp with bolt ons.

Looking into a GT500 transplant would be the shizznit, a couple of members here have done it (from a GT platform).
Old 06-29-2013, 02:14 PM
StangMuscle
1st Gear Member

If you gonna go with the GT mill, then it's cheaper to buy the whole car

Looking into a GT500 transplant would be the shizznit, a couple of members here have done it (from a GT platform).
Exactly what I was thinking, too much upgrading for not enough of a power increase. The GT500 would be awesome, but a lot more expensive. Which is why the possibility of a Navi swap got me amped up!.. hopefully not for nothing lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 4.0 swap for 5.4 4v Navigator engine