Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

85 Stang LX 2.3 to v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 08:49 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by pascal
Are you talking about the electronic Rochester Quadrajet or something similar?
My memory isn't all that clear on this anymore.
Anyway, I agree with you. A regular carb like a street avenger Holley would be fine on the OP's car I reckon...
Chevy was really big on TBI, TBI had a massive throttlebody that had injectores in the venturi, hence the term Throttle Body Injected. This is still used for some of the Holley and Edelbrock EFI conversions and and the aftermarket versions bolt to a standard Holly 4 bolt flange.

I 'think' the old TBI could bolt to a Rochester pattern, but again, I always ripped all of that off and stuck a performance intake on them.

The late 70's and early 80's were a nightmare for car guys. With the advent of catalytic converters, smog pumps and other emissions devices engines became a snake pit of wiring and double fail fragile systems. Outputs dropped to dismal numbers, where you weren't eve getting half a horse per cubic inch.

The first step many of us did in those days was to literally rip everything off. I think the HEI distributor is the only thing any of us were interested in keeping. Setting points wasn't fun. You could easily remove 100lbs from the engine bay, add a few ponies and make it much easier to work on. Some of us went further, we would remove the A/C, all the associated piping and the like. As long as I had a heater so I could defog my windows, I was good. Until I bought my Mustang, I don't think I personally owned and drove a car with functioning A/C. My wife's cars don't count.

Sorry to get off track there. But to be honest until the `86 Ford EFI 5.0 or the `85 GM L98 I don't think anyone took fuel injection serious for performance. Import guys aside and no one took them serious until the late 90's.
Old 07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Perkul8r

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
If it runs from a mechanical fuel pump you won't have to modify your tank.

You will want an intake for the 5.0 (302,) a carb, a mechanical fuel pump and a new distributor.

If the block doesn't have the boss for the mechanical pump (it should just be blocked off) you will have to run an electric fuel pump with a regulator on it.

A standard vacuum advance distributor will run off a vacuum hose, it will plug right up to the carburetor.
ok. So not to bad than. I was looking at using an old duraspark II distributor than use a GM hei ign module. I see its pretty common upgrade on the Duraspark setup.

Or am I over complicating everything lol.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:42 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Perkul8r
ok. So not to bad than. I was looking at using an old duraspark II distributor than use a GM hei ign module. I see its pretty common upgrade on the Duraspark setup.

Or am I over complicating everything lol.
So far you are fine.
Old 07-07-2013, 10:01 PM
Perkul8r

Out of the stock 4cyl engine harness, should I be able to disassemble the harness and reuse the stock oil pressure sensor and water temp sensor?

Other question is, can I rewire my 88 alternator so I can use it in the 85? that way i can keep my accessories on the 302 as they are.