Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

85 Stang LX 2.3 to v8 swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Perkul8r

Default 85 Stang LX 2.3 to v8 swap

So..I have been searching and searching for info on what I wanna do, but cant find too much. I am probably not using the right search terms, but maybe I will get some answers here.

I am picking up a 85 Mustang lx 2.3 4cyl auto car. I want to swap in a v8 of course. I have a Complete 88 Cougar 5.0 sitting in my yard. I want to swap everything over from the cougar to the mustang. Motor, trans and read end. I have been reading that there are multiple little differences in the cars with brake lines, fuel lines, etc....

So will the brake lines, front suspension, etc work on the mustang?

Also, i want to keep the car fuel injected. How hard is it going to be, to use my 88 wire harness and ecu in the 85 car?

Any help or points in the right direction would be great. I want to be able to have everything ready so I can grab what I need off the cougar and scrap it.

Thanks for any help,
Old 07-01-2013, 06:01 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Perkul8r
....to use my 88 wire harness and ecu in the 85 car?
YES!

As for the rear axle, it won't bolt on...
They're two different cars and all the bracketery is different between them.
It will be cheaper and less headache for you to find a fox body 8.8 rear assembly.
The front suspension will be tricky as well because again, different cars.
Part out the Cougar and use that dough to buy the Mustang GT stuff.
What's wrong with your Mustang suspension and brake system?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Perkul8r

Correct me if I am wrong but the Cougar is listed as a fox body platform car for the 1980-1988 years. I found that listed on multiple sites online. But I am still looking for solid info on that.

And I have found online that the axle will fit just fine but its 3/4 of an inch wider on each side. In fact a couple have done it. But I am not really interested in the rear end right now.

I am wanting to know mainly about the front end stuff. I would love to be able to put the bigger v8 brakes on the mustang.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Perkul8r

Also according to my parts lookup at work. The brakes off the Cougar are the same as an 85 mustang with the V8.

I just want to be able to use whatever I can to make sure the Mustang will stop and go like it should with a v8. I am gonna beat on this thing pretty hard. So if I have a solid base I can upgrade form there.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:38 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

The Cougar shares the T-bird platform not the Stang, that stopped in 73 even though they call it a Fox platform.
The car is wider and the wheel base is also longer: 104.2 to the 100.5 of the Stang.
Different body skeleton between these cars.

Basically up front you can use the Cougar spindles so you'll have the upgrade brake system then. Cool.
Old 07-01-2013, 09:01 PM
Perkul8r

Originally Posted by pascal
The Cougar shares the T-bird platform not the Stang, that stopped in 73 even though they call it a Fox platform.
The car is wider and the wheel base is also longer: 104.2 to the 100.5 of the Stang.
Different body skeleton between these cars.

Basically up front you can use the Cougar spindles so you'll have the upgrade brake system then. Cool.
Dam. so not as easy as I thought. But still do able. I was totally confused on the Fox platform stuff. Thanks for clearing that up though. I appreciate it.

As long as I can use he Cougar spindles I will be happy with the brakes. I read that that is one big thing to do when swapping to a v8. I appreciate the input man.

Thanks.

Edit: just got done looking at the mustang. Its a carb'd 2.3. So looks like I will be ditching the Fuel injection and be switching, seems like it will make things a ton easier.

Last edited by Perkul8r; 07-01-2013 at 10:08 PM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Murgatroy
2nd Gear Member

Cougar is a Mustang is a T-Bird is a Fairmont. `80-`88 Cougar/Thunderchicken and `78-`83 Fairmont/Zephyr.

They are the same car. The parts are the same. The bodies (and unibody) are different, but all the parts bolt on the same across similar years.

There is a disconnect somewhere with the suspension I think it is `84 or so, but if you swap the entire assemblies over you will be fine.

As a point of reference I have owned and swapped parts on multiples of these version of Fox Chassis for many, many years.

It has been more than twenty years ago, but I had a Cougar that was mostly Mustang.

Last edited by Murgatroy; 07-01-2013 at 10:20 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Perkul8r

Originally Posted by Murgatroy
Cougar is a Mustang is a T-Bird is a Fairmont. `80-`88 Cougar/Thunderchicken and `78-`83 Fairmont/Zephyr.

They are the same car. The parts are the same. The bodies (and unibody) are different, but all the parts bolt on the same across similar years.

There is a disconnect somewhere with the suspension I think it is `84 or so, but if you swap the entire assemblies over you will be fine.

As a point of reference I have owned and swapped parts on multiples of these version of Fox Chassis for many, many years.

It has been more than twenty years ago, but I had a Cougar that was mostly Mustang.
So far my work computer is agreeing with what you said. The strus, brake calipers, and rotors are all the same between the 88 5.0 and an 85 with a 5.0. So this makes me happy at least. lol.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:12 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

Originally Posted by Perkul8r
Dam. so not as easy as I thought. But still do able. I was totally confused on the Fox platform stuff. Thanks for clearing that up though. I appreciate it.

As long as I can use he Cougar spindles I will be happy with the brakes. I read that that is one big thing to do when swapping to a v8. I appreciate the input man.

Thanks.

Edit: just got done looking at the mustang. Its a carb'd 2.3. So looks like I will be ditching the Fuel injection and be switching, seems like it will make things a ton easier.
Yeah 86 was the first year for fuel injection and it was on the 5.0.
So no need to mess with harness and computer...
Old 07-02-2013, 08:36 PM
Perkul8r

Do you happen to know where I would be able to find the right cables to hook up to my AOD trans? I know I wont be able to keep the stock ones as the intake manifold will be different.

Quick Reply: 85 Stang LX 2.3 to v8 swap