Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

Possible 2003 motor Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:10 AM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

I'll have to look into them. I am only planning on going up to around 400-450 hp anytime soon, but I plan to have the engine built to be indestructible and would like the transmission to be able to handle upside of 800lbs of torque, if I ever decide to take the engine further.
Old 11-24-2013, 03:43 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Does anyone know where I could pick up a "rebuild to stock" kit for a 4.6L f150 engine? And is there another vendor that you guys have had good experiences with for racing rebuild parts? The only place I have any experience with is summit. Anything else good out there?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:06 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

I'd try Mod Max racing. They have a very good selection of parts and are priced to sell. GL!
Old 12-11-2013, 01:09 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by IronMan0002005
I have an 03 v6 5-speed manual. I have become terribly bored with this car. I am looking to do a motor swap with it, and I am thinking of swapping either the GT motor for that year, or buying one of the coyote 5.0's. I have been told that this is an ridiculous swap to do, and that everything has to change. Beyond the obvious (engine, transmission, drive shaft, differential, motor mounts, (I imagine computer stuff)) what else would I need to do one of these swaps? Is the difference in the weight of the engine enough that I would need to change the suspension as well? Bigger fuel pump? Major electrical work? Any insight from anyone who has done one of these before? I made an inquiry on here before about it and the general idea that I got back was "Go buy a gt" but that isn't an option because my insurance would SKYROCKET. Anything else that would need to change for the GT motor to be in my car?
If you swap in a 4.6, a 5.0 Coyote, or even a pushrod stroker motor:

Engine
Engine harness
K-Member
Alternator
Computers
A/C
Cooling
Transmission/shifter
Drive shaft
Rear end

It's gonna run you right at $25k (no matter which of the three engines you choose to use) if you buy all new stuff. Fortunately the only thing that needs to be fabricated is the exhaust, and that's only if you go pushrod.

If you get a used engine, do it right and take advantage of the motor being out of the car - rebuild the motor with higher quality performance-oriented parts (forged bottom end, ported heads, bigger cams, etc). It would really suck to do all that work only to have the motor give up a couple of weeks later.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:56 PM
Steve@Tasca
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by IronMan0002005
Does anyone know where I could pick up a "rebuild to stock" kit for a 4.6L f150 engine? And is there another vendor that you guys have had good experiences with for racing rebuild parts? The only place I have any experience with is summit. Anything else good out there?
I can pretty much guarantee you the best deals on any OEM or Ford Racing products you may need.

Just let me know if there's anything I can help with, I'm on here petty much every day.

-Steve
Old 12-26-2013, 04:25 AM
ErnestBlair

i have gone through the forum posts and there is one quoting about the V6 performance to start with 4.2L out of F150 has been of great help to me .. appreciate the share

Tevida Side Effects

Last edited by ErnestBlair; 10-01-2018 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 11:04 AM
tbear853
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
I'm in the "lame poser" crowd, and I don't think my life has changed in any measurable way as a result. Wait til I add my 408 dual-quad stroker. The same people that already don't like my car are going to wail about how a carb'd pushrod motor is such a stupid thing to do. ... etc ...
You wrote that on another thread but it was closed this morning. I just wanted to say how cool this sounds! A step back in some eyes, but a well built Windsor would be so cool in a S197. I know maybe not the best bang for bucks, but I hope the two carbs are mounted low under that hood, that would really grab eyes when shown.
Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM
jsimmonstx
3rd Gear Member

Thanks. I have a web page with a cost break-down.

BTW, they opened that thread up again. Some folks are too full of themselves for their own good.

My build will have a forged bottom end and AFR heads.We're expecting between 500 and 550 HP and at least 500lbft of torque...
Old 02-05-2014, 08:55 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by jsimmonstx
If you swap in a 4.6, a 5.0 Coyote, or even a pushrod stroker motor:

Engine
Engine harness
K-Member
Alternator
Computers
A/C
Cooling
Transmission/shifter
Drive shaft
Rear end
Dont forget suspension and fuel lines. But I'm looking at finding a wrecked or junk GT or F-150 for sale to pull most of the BS parts from. Pull the drive train and get it rebuilt. Then get the other misc parts from the car, ie: fuel lines, suspension, etc. Anything that's shot beyond reuse I'll obviously have to replace, but it'll get me access to all of the other accessories that I'll need.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:10 PM
IronMan0002005
1st Gear Member

Also, does aynone know how frequently a clutch should wear out? This is my first long term manual car, and I just changed the clutch a few months ago and I'm wondering how long it's going to be before it should start giving me trouble. Inb4 "depends how you drive it."

Quick Reply: Possible 2003 motor Swap