Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

reaching out V6 to 4V swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 07:20 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Default reaching out V6 to 4V swap

Hey everyone, it's been a million years since I've visited. Actually at the top right, it says my last visit was 06-23-2013... lol anyway, I still have my pony. She's been packed away in shed since 2012. I have no plans to ever sell this car, and I'd like to maybe enjoy the car with my Son when he's old enough..

well I've never strayed away from my dreams for this car. just life got in the way of making it a priority. but it finally happened, I scooped up a 32V 4.6 from a 2001 continental. $400 motor that has 55,000/km. I couldn't see myself losing at that price. Also i just bought a Hellion turbo kit to compliment it. years ago I picked up a 05 GT 5 speed with 36,000/km pretty much just collecting random things when I found a good deal. Now that I got my 4v engine I'm way more motivated to move ahead on the car.

now the search function has kind failed me, a dropped a few key words, or a lot of key words, trying to narrow my search results. and I just get LOTS of unrelated threads, over a million pages. I remember when I was a more active member there were a few guys already in the midst of doing their own 4v swap and doing one hell of a write up with it.. I'm looking for these threads as a source for homework I'm doing, on making my swap as painless as possible..

being pointed in a direction or two would be hugely appreciated! thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Someone else in another part of the forum had a similar questions. Before you do anything, find out if your state/county has restrictions on what year motor can be stuck in what year car.

Some states like Cali state that you can only put an engine in from the same year or newer as the car. If that's the case, your upgrade would be illegal for a street driven car.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:16 PM
blackfoot
4th Gear Member

Yeah I'm not concerned with that. I'm in Ontario, Canada.. We have our emission laws, but they are a joke to pass. And I'd be eligible for hot rod status anyway..

I'm an experienced technician, spent 6 years working for ford. before moving on to opening my own little shop. It's just I'm not the type to hang out on a computer.. but like I said I do remember a few members doing the swap. and they wrote up a nice list of do's and do not's. I'm going to keep browsing hoping I can find them. and figure it out from there.. just hoping someone might remember something from back then that could point me in the right direction. there's not enough time in a day, if you know what i mean.

anyway thanks for chiming in. it gave me a chance to drop some more info that may help me