Motor Swap Section Tech and Follow-My-Build Threads for members looking to put a different engine in their Mustang

OMC 5.8 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2017, 06:20 PM
Cgottschalk66

Default OMC 5.8 cobra

Got offered a marine OMC 5.8 cobra which to my understanding is the same as a 351W. Numbers say E4ae 6015-fa

Motor will go in my 1966 coupe assuming all will work well. Already plan on swapping intake and carb but is there anything I need to know as far as using a marine engine in a car? Will be using a C4 Auto along with an 8 inch rear with 3.55 gears.

Does anyone know camshaft specs of this engine? What about compression and heads? I know the carb is different, so I plan on doing an intake/carb swap but am I going to need to change heads or cam?

getting the motor for a good deal and I can't pass it up assuming that it will actually work.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:53 AM
88 orangepeel notch
6th Gear Member

I'm not at all familiar with the differences in marine blocks, if there are any. Google to verify.

But you'll definitely want to swap cams as whatever is in there is designed strictly for low end torque. Unless that's all you want in your build ?
Old 01-18-2017, 07:44 AM
Cgottschalk66

Well I do like low end torque but I assume I will want to swap cams. Might as well order up a comp cam kit. I see a lot on google about these engines but not much about swapping them in cars. I was wondering if anyone has done this exact swap before so I know what I'm going to run into. This is then cleanest motor I've seen for the price and it was running in the boat it was in. Just sucks I've looked for page to list the specs on this motor and I've found one.

So far I know I'm looking at changing the oil pan, eliminating the remote oil filter, carb & intake, cam and lifters.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:16 AM
movielover40
4th Gear Member

Good luck with this project.