Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

78 Mustang II

Old 01-08-2007, 07:55 PM
shug

Default 78 Mustang II

Hi all, freshman at this So any advise welcome. have just got a 1978 II Mustang it needs some body touch up but not to bad. Has not run for past 7 to 10 Yrs so usure how to procede. Is it better to strip engine etc down and clean up from there. Suggestions are very welcome. Have re-posted this as advised to go to Clasic section. Will post Pic when I get myself organised. !!
[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 78 Mustang II

so many questions...

Have you tried to turn the motor over by hand?

Lets start there. Even if it has not run in 10 years - that does not mean it won't run with a little work. Remember, the best part of owining an older car is driving it. You could get this motor running good enough for you to do the rest of the work needed and still have fun along the way.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
shug

Not tried turning motor over by hand have just put it in the garage. PO has dismantled all the trim and dash. He said he started the engine once a year !! no battery in it yet, but dont think I want to try and turn engine over plus PO said he couldn't get it to start eventually ...and Carb looks dry and probably full of gunk.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

We also have a Mustang II sub-section on the Classic section. At any rate take the spark plugs out and squirt some oil on top of the pistons, then use a 1/2" breaker bar and try to turn the crank over to see if the piston rings are frozen or not. If they aren't then you have a good chance of getting the engine running without tearing it down. Get back if you can turn it over for further advice.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:15 PM
shug

Thanks Soaring n Bulldog66 will try that and post an update.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:35 PM
Bulldog66
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: shug

Not tried turning motor over by hand have just put it in the garage. PO has dismantled all the trim and dash. He said he started the engine once a year !! no battery in it yet, but dont think I want to try and turn engine over plus PO said he couldn't get it to start eventually ...and Carb looks dry and probably full of gunk.
If you can get this motor running w/out having to tear it down, you're well on your way to repairing what the PO started.

As soaring said. squirt some lubricant down the plug holes and let it sit over night. Give it a tug the next day and see if it'll turn. If it does, there's a very good chance that it'll run with a minimal work. Even if you have to get a new carb, that's a whole lot cheaper than pulling the motor down and that money can go into the dash, etc. All the while, you're driving it and having fun.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:42 PM
LCC
4th Gear Member

Before you try to start it if you find that you can turn it by hand. Change the oil and put in fresh gas, then you can try to start. I would asume that the hard starting will be frm the carb pluged up with old, bad gas. May have to rebuild carb before you can go too much farther...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:23 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

welcome fellow M II brethren!!!!!!!!!!!

lemmie know if your lacking on interior parts, i have all kinds of dash and trim stuff layin around.

what motor / tranny is in there?
hatchback or trunk?
interior color?
woodgrain or brushed aluminum dash trim?
you got the 120 mph speedo?
Old 01-09-2007, 12:26 PM
andrewmp6
6th Gear Member

try what soaring said if it spins freely then you just need fuel and spark new splugs and wires rebuild the carb or replace it dont forget to clean out the gas tank drain and replace all fuilds gas oil coolant etc etc start and pray
Old 01-10-2007, 02:05 AM
shug

Hi guys, and thanks for all the help so far it's great. Put oil in heads and managed to turn it over tonight 'sticky' at first but then turned ok with 1/2 breaker. It has a 2.8L B with auto tranny, hatchback, Brushed aluminium dash and 110mph/180kmh speedo(shift selector very stiff? could be the cold). Took a closer look at engine thinks it is in need of some TLC as pretty rusty and carb is missing filter cover. Cleaned out the interior of trim panels etc that was pilled in the back, so naked inside. Cant work to long out in the garage as frigin freezing , but i'am hooked . tried my dig camera ..batteries dud huh!!.....next step...remove carb?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 78 Mustang II