Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

first restore, help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 11:31 PM
andez

Default first restore, help!

hey everyone, my cousin and I just acquired a 1978 mustang II. It's a V-8, 4-spd, 2+2, hatchback with t-tops. One owner (cousin's father) bought it new, drove it for 10 years and parked it. Gave it to us for free on the condition that we would restore it. Neither of us have done anything like this before, so we're looking for some tips, places to pick up parts, and reliable shops to do the work we don't have the skills or tools to do ourselves. She needs: brakes, brake lines, fuel lines, completely new interior, and very minor body work. any advice for us?
Old 03-14-2007, 11:44 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: first restore, help!

lets see some pics!!!!!!

that sounds like a hell of a deal, and half the battle is won since you already have a V8 in that puppy.

MustangII.net and MustangII.org are excellent sources for info on our cars. i will tell you right now N.O.S. (new old stock) parts are hard to come by and very few parts are reproduced for these cars. that being said there are still some excellent used parts to be found.

http://www.mustangii.net/service.asp

look at the parts suppliers on the right side of the screen."Mustang II Specialty Shop" a.k.a. Phils is the best single source for parts.
also ebay always has some decent stuff from time to time.

are you looking for show quality parts or just good condition daily driver parts?

Old 03-15-2007, 12:02 AM
andez

no pics as of yet, right now it's buried in his garage under a cover (thankfully) and a bunch of crap... he will be cleaning out the garage and excavating the car this summer, when we get to tow it from clinton, OH to pittburgh PA. right now just trying to learn as much as possible before i have it here! neither of us have the cash to make it into a show car right now, as i'm still in college and the cuz is recent graduate, but we're gonna try to make it nice and clean and as close to show quality as possible, but it will definitely be a daily driver. Owner had the radiator and gas tank glassed before he parked it too, which should save some headaches... anyway, it's emerald green with a tan interior, and only two or three visible rust spots on the body
Old 03-15-2007, 12:52 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

really, aside from body work which takes some skill you guys should be able to do just about all of it. most stuff is just look at it, and figure it out as you go along. you will learn LOTS and have a GREAT time working on it.

we're here for advice, and theres alot of smarts on this forum.
Old 03-15-2007, 03:59 PM
grruminator78
4th Gear Member

and a lot of sarcasm too, so you better have a little thick skin, welcome to the hobby, and lets see some pics of that rocket powered pinto!

See I just couldn't help myself.
I know I know[sm=chairshot.gif]back to the classic section with me...
Old 03-15-2007, 05:32 PM
Soaring
I ♥ Acer

Currently I am moderating both the classic and the II sections. I have amassed quite a large inventory of How-To's in the FAQ section that you guys are certainly welcome to use. A lot of it won't deal directly with your II car, but a lot of it will.
Old 03-15-2007, 06:15 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

yup, alot of stuff is basic enough it doesnt matter what year car it applies to its all just about the same.