Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

need help

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:11 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

Default need help

I have two problems i'm working on with the II right now, one is that when i push in the clutch or decelerate my car shakes, this started happening when I swapped the V8 in, so the only things i can think of are that the front springs need to be changed, or that our custom motor mount is vibrating when it's not under load, which i think could be solved if i found some sort of urethane bushing for it, right now it has metal spacers. My friend who works at an auto parts store says it could be my ujoint but the ujoint is brand new and a special item itself so i know that can't be it. My tires aren't underinflated and it's not anything to do with brakes because the brakes make the car shake but they always have, this is different. Could this also be caused by the alignment being off? We replaced the rack and pinion recently and set the Toe-in ourselves as good as we could(which is pretty good) but do I need to have the car realigned?

Secondly, i've had a hesitation in the throttle which was caused by the carb i thought. But in the last couple of days the hesitation has gotten worse and the car now stutters when i accelerate. it has also taken up really small backfires through the carb in the last couple of days. not bad enough to kill a carb but just little pops. Is my timing off again or is there something else wrong? we set the timing and it seemed fine but i would just like to have the car running good finally[:@]. I'm going to rebuild the carb soon and hopefully this will help the car not fall on its face when i smash the throttle, but is the stuttering a timing issue, or doi have deeper problems?

the hesitation didn't bother me before because i was breaking in my transmission and couldn't play around anyway, but now it's getting embarassing because i can hear it outside the car when i accelerate, and i don't want people to think my car is a giant peice of crap.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:50 PM
rooster1021

Default RE: need help

I might be way off here, but how are the u-joints in your car? Might be the shaking problem. Secondly as for the hesitation, sounds as though you have some carb issues. Out of curiosity, what kinda carb you running?
[align=left] [/align]