Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Engine Swap!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 06:51 PM
my77project
1st Gear Member

Default Engine Swap!

Ok...so I pulled my engine out the other day, and was met with a very sad surprise. The engine was filled with water, and basically the whole deal is junk. Actually, I could salvage almost eerything, but it'd be about $300+ of maching plus a full rebuild kit etc etc. So I'm trying to feel around for what my other options are. My question...

Has anyone tried a V8 engine/manual transmission swap from a pre-87 fox body to a II. :-) If so, how did it go, and what modifications were involved in doing that? I'm not really clear on what parts are compatible between the two.

Or, has anyone tried a similar swap but with a post 87 fox body? Again, what was/would be involved with doing that, since the fuel injection issue is now there? Can I just basically pull the whole engine, including ECU out of say an 87 fox body, and put it in my 77? Also, how do the trannys match as far as drive shaft length and all that? I'd love to get a T5 in there along with the engine. I'm especially interested in this possibility, if anyone could let me know what their experience has been with this, or even any hints about what would/would not work.

Also, on a side note...if I do swap engines, I may have a set of practically BRAND (have literally a few miles on them) edelbrock performer heads, including valves, valve springs, adjustable valve train, solid rocker arms, push rods...the works basically...for sale. If anyone is interested in that, let me know, and when I decide what I'm doing, maybe we can work something out. :-) Also, and edelbrock performer aluminum intake, same condition, though a bit dirty...nothing a little cleaning can't deal with. and possibly a holley four barrel carb up for sale. Again, this is all assuming I go w/ an engine that can't use them. :-) but let me know if you are interested and if you have an offer. :-)
Old 12-10-2007, 11:15 PM
Turbo II

Default RE: Engine Swap!

Sorry to hear about your motor, been there done that a few times myself.

Haven't done a late model EFI swap myself, but I know quite a few have over at "that other forum" that caters to IIs only.

I think the only issues people have are with the bellhousings on the newer motors, since the IIs are so small they have that unique bellhousing that takes less room. Some people have made extra clearance with a hammer for the late model bells and others put the II bell onto the later T-5..again the other site has a write up on this in the tech section.

I'll be doing a T5 swap one one of my cars next summer. It's a relatively straight forward procedure from what I've seen and read.

Good luck!
Old 12-11-2007, 09:13 AM
my77project
1st Gear Member

After digging around a bit, I found this write up on the T5 swap. http://mustangii.com/t5swap.asp

As far as I can tell, the problem with the drive shaft being too long actually came from the fact that he used the other bell housing, which I wouldn't be doing probly. Cause it made everything sit an inch further back, which is how much to long the drive shaft was. brilliant. :-) So the bolt pattern is a match for the original 302? (in case I decide to remachine/save my engine and still do the switch)

Old 12-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Turbo II

Bolt pattern should be the same. Ford small blocks (289, 302, 351W) all use the same bolt pattern, only exception is early 260s and 289s that had a 5 bolt pattern instead of 6. The big issue with using a non-mustang II bellhousing is header fit..I've heard it's almost impossible (it's tight enough using the II bell!) Hopefully someone here has already done the swap and can guide you better.