Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

traction problem: 2 tire fire all the time

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

Default traction problem: 2 tire fire all the time

So, i'm just wondering how everyone has solved their traction problems. As soon as i have the money i'm going to get stumpy's traction bars and as soon as my tires go bad (about one or two more years) i'm going to get some bigger wheels so i can get some better rubber under there. What other ways do we have. because i have a serious problem here. i was playin with my friend's lt1 camaro the other night and i we ended up at a light, you know what happened. i tried to launch and burned first... second... and half of third i caught traction and reeled him in after that but man. talk about embarassing[8D]
Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: traction problem: 2 tire fire all the time

embarassing? if anything it shows people our little II's aren't something to scoff at.

what kind of rear is under the back of that thing? you have a "posi" unit in it?
Old 01-30-2008, 04:34 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

embarassing? if anything it shows people our little II's aren't something to scoff at.

what kind of rear is under the back of that thing? you have a "posi" unit in it?
i was kidding, it just sucked that my friend got 3 cars on me from a dig. But hey, i said i reeled him in... and passed him[8D]

i have the 8 inch traction-lok with 3.55's. 3.55's+ 4cyl T-5+ 13" tires= no traction (not even from a roll if i'm not careful)

EDIT: hey, you think any of the ii guys would want my E5's. i know they are crappy but they are bound to be better than 74-78 heads stock for stock
Old 01-30-2008, 06:31 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

No, you really haven't quiet grasped the realization of how terrible those heads are. Really, they are the absolute bottom of the barrel 302 heads (equally tied at the bottom with D8OE's)

Have you considered going to a taller tire? I have 15's under mine and the back works out great. I need to go to the next size lower profile in the front because it hits the fenders when I turn (I need to go see what sizes are on there I can't remember) but when I went from the 13's I noticed a pretty big drop in bottom end Boo-Yaa, which wasn't really a problem because I had / have plenty
Old 01-31-2008, 05:28 PM
geddylee
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my77stang

No, you really haven't quiet grasped the realization of how terrible those heads are. Really, they are the absolute bottom of the barrel 302 heads (equally tied at the bottom with D8OE's)

Have you considered going to a taller tire? I have 15's under mine and the back works out great. I need to go to the next size lower profile in the front because it hits the fenders when I turn (I need to go see what sizes are on there I can't remember) but when I went from the 13's I noticed a pretty big drop in bottom end Boo-Yaa, which wasn't really a problem because I had / have plenty
wow, i hate how ford just throws engines together, it really ticks me off sometimes.[:@] but yeah, i guess i'll try to take what i can get for those heads.

i got the tallest tire i could get on 13's without losing any advantage it gives, if i go much taller the tires will be so thin that it won't matter how tall they are. what i need is to get 14 or 15 inch wheels and put a 230-255 wide tire on the back. which, i'm going to have to do anyway since every tire company in the nation is completely fazing out 13 inch tires[:@]. the only sizes they still make are only being kept around because of the early 80's to late 90's imports that should have been crushed by now[>:]. end rant. really all i want is to get my car into the low 13's high 12's and if i can get some traction i know i can do it. and if i can't, then the heads i'm going to get and a good rebuild of my carb will certainly get me there