Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Tell Me What I Have and What to Do With It

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 04:48 PM
Herr.Monk

Default Tell Me What I Have and What to Do With It

I just got a 1978 Ford Mustang Codra II. I think I paid way too much for it, but that's done now...

Okay, I've got a 5.OL H.O. Engine, Tremec 3550/TKO 550 transmission, High Torque Gear Reduction Starter, Steel Bell-housing
Aluminum Drive Shaft, Milodon Cold Air Intake, E303 Ford SVO cam, Milodon High Volume/High Pressure Oil Pump, FlowMaster Exhaust
A/C, P/S, P/B, the thing is wired like an 89 GT: EFI and what not.

The guy I got it from ran low 14s on it.

Anyways. I have it now. I'm having boarder-line buyer's remorse. The crack in the windshield, the paint, and the slight damge to the rear right side were easily overlooked on the test-drive because this thing huals ***. But now that I own it, I worry I just bought a money pit. I have to get the body fixed and repainted. I can deal with the crack in the winshield for a while..

How much do I need to expect to shell out for a good paint job and some minor body work?

Oh, the tach went out, and the left front break squeeks as well...

Is there anything in the above discription to worry about?

I'm not sure where I am on this...

Old 07-08-2008, 09:58 PM
67BullittCoupe
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Tell Me What I Have and What to Do With It

body works expensive. have you any experience?

if you do, do it yoruself. body shops will charge 50-75 bucks an hour. and if you ever sanded a fender on the job your going to take your sweet time with it.

paint will cost you 500 in materials alone and another 1-1500 in labor.

or you can bring it to MACCOS and they will repaint it for 1000, but without body work.

its a cool car and as long as its reliable i think its a car not many people have.

plus like you said it hauls a$$
Old 07-23-2008, 06:50 PM
chaserdale

I agree, not to many people have these, and there is alot of bad talk, but who cares fix it up the way you would like and enjoy your ride, I know, I just bought the same thing about a month ago, feel like i paid too much, but hey when I am done fixing it will be worth it.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:25 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

it looks like its pretty solid from the picture you posted, and if it has a later model EFI motor it should be just as dependable as a newer car.

the windsheild can be professionally replaced for like 200 bucks or maybe less, and brakes are super cheap to do. you may want to consider upping the front brakes to something larger, or at least replace the 30 year old rubber brake lines with some new ones (super cheap from your local auto parts store).

these really are fantasic cars. hot rodders and classic stang guys drool over the II's front end suspension and steering. they are a light car, yet still made of sheel metal that is thicker than a piece of tin foil like todays cars.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 AM
tHighlander

Money Pit, definately Yes! I have put about 30k into my 78 MII Ghia, but that includes 4 engines, the first one was junk, and I blew two others, but I think I have the build right this time. They are a fun car to drive, and always something to improve on. It is an eternal project car, but well worth the time and effort.

Body work is pricy, for a ful restore I have had quotes from 3k to 11k, and that doesn't count the interior, but for now I just race it out at the track, and when you are pulling low 12's people are less interested in the cosmetics.

Good Luck
Old 07-30-2009, 07:14 PM
barrylee66

it looks like it has a fiberglass front bumper and is missing some of the cobra stuff. but it still looks good.what did it cost you ? . if you have the right gear 4.10 and some traction bars and good tires slicks or drag radials that car will run low 13s or hi 12s maybe better
Old 07-30-2009, 08:34 PM
.boB
3rd Gear Member

The only thing that cought my eye was the oil pump. I don't know of any professional builders who recommend a high pressure pump. You only need a high volume pump if you have external oil lines - like remote filters and coolers.

If puts a lot of strain on the drive mechanism, making it much more likely that you'll shear the pin.