Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

V8 Swap - Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
Cullina

Default V8 Swap - Motor Mounts

Hey guys - I have been looking around the forum for a few days and there is a lot of great info on here for the II.

My dad is moving and he doesn't have room, so he is giving me his II. The car is a 76 4cyl with a 4 spd.

I'm going to do the EFI 5.0 swap when I get the car. The main question I had was about the motor mounts.

What all mounts will fit and will they bolt right in? I wasn't sure since the car that I have is a 4cyl.

Thanks in advance.

- Josh
Old 04-22-2009, 10:21 AM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

the V8 mounts are mustang II specific, you'll need the frame mounts too (the things the motor mounts bolt to). if i remember right, one side of the motor mount is available from most auto parts stores, but the other side isn't (which is completely retarded).

your best bet is to check ebay, or some of the larger mustang II enthusiast sites classifieds section. if all else fails you can probably get them from Phil's in Alabama, his info is in the sticky at the top of the II section on this site - but he'll probably want a premium for them.

you'll need a mustang II bellhousing and flywheel because they are smaller in diameter than the ones found in other cars. since your going to use a later model 5.0 that has a 50 oz balancer and flywheel you will need to get the mustang II flywheel rebalanced from 28 oz to 50 oz.

another thing you will need is a oil pan and pickup tube from a 75-78 mustang II V8 car, nothing else will fit. and lastly, exhaust manifolds from a mustang II or you can get headers from hooker or hedman. if you go with headers, i strongly recommend staying away from the hedmans because their primary tube routing is completely retarded and you WILL smash the front tube on the passenger side the first time you hit a large bump.

good luck

oh, and if you dont want the car to ride like crap you'll nee to pick up some new springs for the front. PST makes them and they aren't that expensive.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:44 PM
Cullina

I have been doing a ton of reading on the cars the past few days and I knew about the oil pan and frame mounts.

Thanks for the info on the springs. I had that in my first things to-do plan.

What if I found a donor car and just transferred all the stuff over from a 90 Mustang with a 5.0 in it? Is the tunnel not big enough to support the trans?

So, do all the 5.0 motors bolt up to the same mount locations?

I know that these are all dumb questions, but I don't get the car for another week to see for myself and I want to do as much planning as possible, lol.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:01 PM
my77stang
6th Gear Member

all 5.0 / 302's have the same motor mount location, thats not a problem. i do not believe the trans tunnel is large enough to use the bellhousing from the later model car, which is why ford made a special small one for the mustang II's. that being said, i know people have put T5's in there so maybe those will fit. i know you have to move the tranny mount and maybe enlarge the shifter hole in the trans tunnel, but it can be done. probably a different length driveshaft too but again i dunno cause i have a C4 auto in mine.

your best bet is to find a V8 car thats ragged all to crap and use it for parts. you'll need the 3 core radiator and fan shroud from the II donor car too.