Mustang II Section The more economy minded, compact Mustangs which were offered from 1974-1978

Is this an alternator bracket and where does it go?

Old 03-17-2010, 10:36 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Is this an alternator bracket and where does it go?

So I got just the engine (no car) 302 from 1975 I recon with an automatic transmission. With it came this loose bracket part number D5ZE-10A336-AC if I Google the number it says it's an alternator bracket but I got no alternator for it yet and I am just wondering where it goes. I think it's on the passenger side somewhere but I don't know where.

Could someone post a picture or a diagram of how and where it goes please?

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 PM
vonkysmeed

It goes on the passenger cylinder head using the 2 outside bolts. The inside holes are where the alternator bolt into. You are missing other pieces that make it all work. I have a couple of these myself trying to fit my engine and all necessary accessories under my hood on my 351 swap into my pinto. I have ended up custom making my own bracket that keeps the pulleys in alignment.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default First Attempt

I am embarrassed to admit what a circus mounting the alternator to this motor it has turned out to be, I feel like I'm constantly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. No wonder the motor came with no alternator and a single orphaned bracket.

So here's how the First Attempt went down. After parusing eBay (first picture) I discovered that for some post 70s Mustangs it takes three to Tango, three brackets that is. I already had one of them so I set out to get the other two. A "true" 36 year old Cougar [wink wink] with a 351 gave up what I needed.

So I was armed with:

Rear Bracket: D5ZE-10A336-AC

Upper Bracket: D00E-10156-A

Lower Bracket: D3AE-101 5-CA

Giving me plenty of rythm and floor space, but they just wouldn't dance together, the long pivot bolt holes did not align, and even if they did the heater hoses would interfere with the alternator body.

... back to the drawing board...

Old 08-01-2010, 12:18 AM
JMD
6th Gear Member

Brackets are simply a pain in the ***.

A person might get lucky and manage to buy all the right stuff first time around but probably not....

I wish I could be more encouraging, but more often than not I end up getting out the welder and "adapting" brackets or just starting over.... too many variables!!
Old 08-01-2010, 03:01 AM
vonkysmeed

Originally Posted by Gregski
I am embarrassed to admit what a circus mounting the alternator to this motor it has turned out to be, I feel like I'm constantly trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. No wonder the motor came with no alternator and a single orphaned bracket.

So here's how the First Attempt went down. After parusing eBay (first picture) I discovered that for some post 70s Mustangs it takes three to Tango, three brackets that is. I already had one of them so I set out to get the other two. A "true" 36 year old Cougar [wink wink] with a 351 gave up what I needed.

So I was armed with:

Rear Bracket: D5ZE-10A336-AC

Upper Bracket: D00E-10156-A

Lower Bracket: D3AE-101 5-CA

Giving me plenty of rythm and floor space, but they just wouldn't dance together, the long pivot bolt holes did not align, and even if they did the heater hoses would interfere with the alternator body.

... back to the drawing board...

ok, here is how it should go together,

in your top picture the black bracket with 3 holes mounts to your water pump with the far left hole for the alternator.

The next one down (4 holes) mounts on the head on the passenger side with one of the 2 hoels alligning with the water pump bracket. The spacer will be used between the alt and the bracket on the head.

The adjusting bracket mounts on the bottom hole of the top bracket for adjustment of the alt. Go to shows and see what other owners have done. There are a million and one ways to do it and I fabricated my own, but I had a space constraint.

As JMD stated, brackets suck, but if you can get them to work, that would be good. I will look in my pictures from shows to see if I can find your setup
Old 08-01-2010, 03:11 AM
vonkysmeed

Originally Posted by vonkysmeed
ok, here is how it should go together,

in your top picture the black bracket with 3 holes mounts to your water pump with the far left hole for the alternator.

The next one down (4 holes) mounts on the head on the passenger side with one of the 2 holes aligning with the water pump bracket. The spacer will be used between the alt and the bracket on the head.

The adjusting bracket mounts on the bottom hole of the top bracket for adjustment of the alt. Go to shows and see what other owners have done. There are a million and one ways to do it and I fabricated my own, but I had a space constraint.

As JMD stated, brackets suck, but if you can get them to work, that would be good. I will look in my pictures from shows to see if I can find your setup
OK, found a few pics, let me add them for assistance.

NOTE THAT ONE WATER LINE EXITS THE RIGHT AND ONE EXITS THE LEFT SO YOU SHOULD BE COVERED.
Old 08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JMD

Brackets are simply a pain in the ***.

A person might get lucky and manage to buy all the right stuff first time around but probably not....
Thank you for saying that, you have no idea how encouraging it is to hear that others unfortunately may have struggled with this in the past and managed to persevere.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:49 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Thank You Sir

VONKYSMEED you are absolutely correct, thank you so much for your help, the explanation and the pictures really helped, that is exactly what worked in the end on my Third Attempt after I realized my triangular bracket that goes on the head was different from the ones on your picture, slightly but different, too bad I went out first and bought a set of brackets to try my Second Attemp, which I talk about in the next post. Thanks again though, much appreciated.
Old 08-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Gregski
3rd Gear Member

Default Second Attempt

Though the second attempt failed, here it is documented for prosperity. Basically I went out and bought a Scott Drake alternator bracket set for the first generation Mustangs for $20 bucks. These are the dime a dozen brackets you see in any catalog, usually in black or chrome. In this attempt only the two brackets you see were used, the third rusty triangular one sat this one out.

PROBLEM:

Well the long alternator pivot bolt did align with the outside hole on the cylinder head but the top bracket was preventing me from mounting the water pump pulley. It wouldn't just rub, the pulley would not go on all the way at all.

You can see the difference in the brackets below:

Old 08-02-2010, 12:23 PM
vonkysmeed

at this point, go to some local car shows and see how others have dealt with the 302 and its brackets. I have been fortunate to see many variations and take pictures. If I find more, I will post them.

At one point, I even made my own brackets knowing that I was working on a bastard setup that had not typically been done (nor did I have the $$ for manufactured brackets)

Here you can see that I have mounted the alternator directly to the head using a coupler nut as a spacer. It is larger than the bolt into the head. I currently do not have any other support for the alternator other than the fact that I am using a Grade 8 bolt. I have in the past manufactured a support from the water pump similar to what you have.

This picture is a little more difficult. between the red wire and cross bar near the center of the picture, you will see a bolt sticking out on the water pump. This is where I mounted the adjusting arm of the alternator. I installed it using one of the ford double bolts (threads both ways with from the head. I then spaced the arm out with 2 bolts to sandwich the arm so that it is even with the front of the alternator.

From the back side of the alternator. You can see how cramped my engine bay is. I have tried to use the brackets you have, but they are typically for a 302 and not a 351 that I have installed since the deck height is different.

I hope this helps. You might find more help in my earlier days of my website, but may not have fully documented my alternator install to your needs.

http://mysite.verizon.net/project.frankenpinto/

and I am hosting the pictures that I am placing here at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...o/348192476964

I will take more pictures of the assembly the next time I pull the radiator, but that could be a few months. Good Luck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is this an alternator bracket and where does it go?